BombShell Proshift Super Vice Brakes Brake System

BombShell Proshift Super Vice Brakes Brake System

• CNC'd from 6061 aluminum.
  • Laser etched logo.
  • Colors: silver, red, blue, black, ti.
  • SUPER VICE BRAKE SET W/CABLES - Retail $99.00
  • SUPER VICE BRAKE SET W/VC2 LEVERS & CABLES - Retail $159.00

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 24, 2001]
    Allen Lo

Strength:

lightweight.they;re good when the threads don't strip~!

The THREADS ON THE TIGHTENING BOLD WHERE THE CABLE GETS TIGHTENED DOWN ALWAYS STRIPS~!!!!!!!! ALWAYS~! you cannot prevent this crap~! I always thought it was just me but when I came back and read some recent reviews it just made me feel a little better beacuse it seems Bombshell (aka Precision Billet) products have just gone down the drain~!!!!! I even tried e-mailing the customer service 3 times , and they never even responded once~! I think they know what's going on. Mine have stripped twice, once I got them sent back to Bombshell, the second time, they never even responded. It's just too much of a hassle. Stick to AVID or SHIMANO.

Don't get these, it's not worth the risk~! Trust me. Avid has always stood out to me as a very dependable and stable brake; Avid's are also priced well. I'm about to try XTR for the first time...hope they don't squeal~!

Avid SD7, SD Mag, Shimano XT

[Dec 31, 2001]
    Donat

Strength:

light, simple

steel spring rubbing on aluminium lever !

Circle the aluminium part of the brake (where spring rubs) with 2 turn of teflon tape (the cheap one used in plumbing!)
    I was very confused when I started with these brakes: impossible to center... I realized issue is high friction of the spring on the brake, and when I added teflon ribbon it changed all.
    Topclass... except this incredible stu..d idea to have a steel spring rubbing with an aluminium lever.
    BUY and improve !

[Jan 07, 2006]
    Mr. Wood

Strength:

Look cool, work great

Cable fixing bolt hole strips

I have to agree with the negative reviews below about the anchor bolt hole stripping out. However, I have had these brakes for several years and they never gave me any problems. I don't expect stuff to last forever, but I didn't really change or adjust my brake pads very often, so I guess, it could have happened a lot sooner if I did.
    Overall, I can't say they are bad brakes. I will probably try to get a longer bolt and nut so I can keep using them.

Avid

[Jan 07, 2000]
    Green Giant
    Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light
    Easy to set up
    work great

original brake pads horrible
    a bit wide, could clip heals in rear without narrow pads

I've got the brakes and levers, in a word sweet. They work great, weigh very little, set up pretty easily. The only problem I had was with the original pads, really thick and wide. I replaced with XT cartridge pads and they work great now. The rears can set up a bit wide so the narrow pads helped in that respect also.

xt
    avid 1d20's

[Sep 27, 1998]
    Andy
    cross-country rider

These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!These brakes wear so quickly! Do not waste your money!

[Mar 26, 1998]
    Haoming
    cross-country rider

they rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bombthey rape shimano-they are the absolute bomb

[Mar 13, 1998]
    Rob
    cross-country rider

Super brake system. (Intense stopping power, Light weight, Beautiful machining detail, Easy to install, Easy to adjust) What else could you want. Oh yea! - lower price. These things are expensive, but in my opinion -- well worth it. If Proshift have decent (I mean any) marketing, I believe they could be a strong contender.

[Jul 22, 1997]
    Weebs
    racer

I decided to upgrade from LX cantilevers on my Stumpjumper to a V-Brake design. I looked at them all. I’ve got to admit I took a hard look at Shimano’s V-brake. The parallel linkage sounded worthy but after looking at a set and getting one in my hand I was unimpressed by its weak design. The parallel advantage is overrated and I believe is just a gimmick. Never mind all the other alleged problems with them. The Avid’s were next on my list but just not cool enough (although great bang for the bucks). There are tons of others as you well know, but the VC2’s caught my eye. Light and solid. These things are a work of art. Precision machining is evident throughout the design. They are solid and the design is well thought out. All fasteners come with threadlocker already applied (nice attention to details). The lever clamps split apart for easy removal of the lever without having to tear everything else off. This is handy for maintenance. Braking is very strong with good modulation. Want more power? Here’s a little trick that works. The levers can be set up for 2 pivot positions (center pull cantilevers or V-brakes). If the long pull setting is not strong enough (doubtful) you can change the pivots and get more leverage. This decreases cable pull but lets you skid your tires or do endos with your little finger. Another interesting thing I found was that I have no brake squeal. None. I set the brakes straight up. No toe-in. No squeal ever. Is it the solid design of the brakes, the pad material, or my fairly new rims? I don’t know. All I can say is NO SQUEAL!
    Overall:
    I love’em! Cool looks, solid performance with great features make the VC2’s a great buy. You just can’t lose on these. The only possible (minor) down side is that I think that the VC2’s are not quite as strong as Shimano V-brakes (when set at long pull pivot) BUT I would rather have better modulation than digital breaks that wear out once a month and squeal like pigs.

[Sep 13, 2000]
    Ken

Strength:

Modulation, stopping power, awesome looking (I got the black brakes on my black and polished Atom 80). And it's light, so even weight weenies will love it.

The best products on the market should be available in sweeter, more mature-looking anodized colors. I keep ranting about ultradark purple. Does this give you any idea of how picky I am? I can't think of any flaws with the product itself. Availability-it's amazing that something so good is so hard to get and so little known. These guys should hire me to do their ads.

I bought Arch Rival 50s about two years ago. They're a definite 5-star product; I was blown away with the modulation, stopping power, and of course nonsqueal compared with Shimano and other stuff. When I got a new bike, I decided to experiment with Precision. The design always looked right, and then I read the reviews here and figured "oh heck, I can always go back to the Avids."
    The Precision Billet is better in every way. Power, modulation, linearity, feel. They even manage to weigh less and be much better looking. Stoked! The levers are fabulous, too, for all the same reasons. The only brake on the market I've even demoed that might be better (emphasis on might) in ultimate performance are Arch Supremes, which cost three times as much.
    I notice reviews here disagree on the pads, but keep in mind that everyone will have their preferences in this department, and that pads are easily replaced. Personally, I love these pads. Unless you really need discs or only care about getting pewter-colored brakes to match your XTR stuff, I'd say you can't go wrong with Precision Billet. For cross-country, it's easily as safe as getting a King headset.

Shimano stuff, Avid AR-50s, other miscellaneous stuff.

[Jan 11, 2000]
    Leroy

Strength:

The brakes work well. They have a basic standard setup. Rebuild kits are available and simple to install.

*Non-linear: I use two sets of wheels for off road and street riding. The brake pads have to be readjusted when these tires sets are switched out. I didn't have this problem with the XT's. *Installing the brake was simple. Adjusting the pads correctly took some time. The brake pads move up and out. I haven't encountered this yet, but the direction of movement may create problems when mud gets on the tires.*The noodles are noisy (The Cane Creek Direct Curve has an interesting cure for this problem if your willing to spend $70.oo more than the proshift). The price does seem a bit high for the precision billet product. I paid $103.75 for a set. Seeing as how I haven't used the brakes very long, I'll give the choice of it's pricing the benefit of the doubt. The stock brake pads have to be totally replaced and re-adjusted when replacement is required. I'm currently using the replaceable brake pads from my XT's (I didn't enjoy the feeling of buying a new product and having to modify it with my old parts).*The allen wrench sizes are different between the bolt on screw and the brake adjustment screw. This created minor frustration seeing that the allen wrenches I used were connected on the same tool.

Thus far the brakes do work well and are basic in structure. Simplicity can be a strong asset. Less moving parts less places to brake. Caution is advised when braking. The action is light compared to my old XT's and the proshift will flip the bike if you are not careful (I've had one close call when first riding with the Proshift. The front brakes lifted the rear wheel! Wee Haw!).

XT's: 1.5 years of all types of riding from Texas to Montana (they work, however, all the moving links are loose and non reparable.)