Avid Tri-Align 2 Brake System

Avid Tri Align II

Chad   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2006]
Strength:

Very light, easy pad setup when changing, strong braking, and they look really nice.

I haven't really noticed anything.

I purchased these brakes, front and rear specific, and the levers to match, when I started working at a bike shop. Even at cost they were very expensive, but they haven't let me down yet. I think I have only changed the pads once in over 8 years??? But changing the pads is really easy since most of your pad adjustments are maintained. I have never felt the need to switch to either linear pull or disc brakes.

Similar Products Used: Dia compe cantilevers, and old lx cantilevers. I'm old school.
The Cockroach   racer [Apr 21, 1996]

Simple to setup, works as good as V-brakes (when properly adjusted), cool looking, and one of the lightest canti's around. The kool stop pads are an added bonus as well; they work well in mud, sand, water, and whatever else you can find on the trail.

Lorne Stevens   cross-country rider [May 06, 1996]

After years of fiddling with different brands of cantilever brakes, I think I finally hit the right brake for my riding. Easy to adjust and setup, great feel at the lever,and very powerful. I believe the key to a good braking is in the setup. Just about any good quality canti brake can work well if it's setup properly. Avids are a snap.

Allen Han   cross-country rider [Jun 10, 1996]

One of the best after market brakes. Easy to make all the adjustments including toe-in, no funky washers to deal with. You could replace a new set of brake pads without affecting your toe-in, height and pitch. I would recommend to go with two pairs of long arm version, longer arms = more power. However if you have problem with scraping your calf with the rear brake arm, maybe the short arm version is better for rear brake.

Ski   weekend warrior [Jun 10, 1996]

Ok, they aren't as trick as the V-brakes, but then again you don't have to spend a bunch getting the required upgrade levers (like the manditory memory upgrade for Win95...MS and Shimano? Coincidence or are they the same?? Hmmmm...). Two different allen bolts govern the up/down/fron/back postion of the pads, while the other one adjusts the distance to the rim. Along with the tri-dangle hanger, these are the easiest brakes to adjust that I've worked on. Also, you can make adjustments on the trail in a snap.

Francis Cebedo   Norba Racer [Mar 16, 1996]

These brakes work well, are light and are pretty. What more can I ask? They are easier to adjust than any cantiliver brake I've tried. And it looks like I can replace the pads without losing all my adjustments. Included Koolstop pads and avid Tri-Dangle are a bonus!

tim   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2000]
Strength:

wide range of adjustability
you can get 'em cheap used nowadays
pretty light
grease injection port

return springs could be beefier
i wish the arms stuck out more to get more leverage

pretty good stopping power, set the hanger low and you'll get the same performance as a medium to low-end v-brake. they sure do look a lot nicer, though. however, avid now makes a cyclocross canti that looks pretty nice- the arms stick out far so you can get lotsa leverage. not so with these, but these probably were the best of the low-profile cantis. i'd give 'em a five if comparing them to other low-profile cantis, a four when comparing them to medium-profile cantis, and a three when comparing them to a good v-brake.

Similar Products Used: altus cantis, machine tech cantis, mrc cantis, crystal designs cantis
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2000]
Strength:

Ligh weight, looks cool, works great

A bit pricey

The are probably the best cantilever brakes made. They are extremely light and strong. Pad setup and adjustment couln't be simpler. They are much easier to set up and adjust than Shimano canti's. The choice of colors is awesome. I've ridden them since '95, and they're still going strong.

Similar Products Used: shimano canti's
Neil Higgins   Cross-Country Rider [May 25, 1999]
Strength:

light, strong, adjustable, beautiful. Great service department

price

I have the old tri-aligns in back and direct pulls in front. I love these brakes, great design. When they're off the bike they feel like they want to float out of your hands. One of the linear springs popped off and I lost it in the woods. I e-mailed avid, they sent me two replacement springs in two days. Later I found out I had set them up too close together, the spring was catching a tire knob. A simple adjustment, now no problem.

Bomber   cross-country rider [Jan 31, 1999]

Avid 2.0 V-Brakes-
If your thinking about making the upgrade from canti's to v-brakes, DO IT. Get these babies. They rock. You will never go back to those worthless pieces of no stopping power. I have had mine for over a year and i love them. I haven't had a single problem with them and they are easy to adjust. The only thing that stinks is that you have to get new levers. oh well, these babies get 5 flaming big ones