Avid Single Digit 3 Brake System

Single Digit 3

Forged Arms

tex5491   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2009]
Strength:

When tuned breaks bit very good, works very good even in wet conditions

only slowed me down on steep decents.

I weigh 260lbs and ive been to all the major trails in austin and have been through a frame already. Gary Fisher said that the Austin area has more warranty clames that any where else in the contry these brakes have been through it and work. yes i know that there are better brakes out there (I'm currently going Hydro) but these are cheap and get the job done five Chilis for value couse ther cheap and five chilis for reliability.

Similar Products Used: hand full of other brakes some "V" some disc.
Latias93   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, good modulation.

May misalign occasionally.

I've been using this v-brakes since I was 9 and now I am turning 16, which makes it almost 7 years. I have been riding cross country frequently and almost every day. The modulation are very good for the price, and the brake pads supplied with it lasted me 6 years. I'm converting to hydraulic brakes soon though, but I'll still keep my Avid Single Digit 3.

jack_demo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2008]
Strength:

strong stopping power, cheap, reliable.

none really.

buy them if you're after a good quality set of brakes at a good price, but if you're an enthusiastic and skillful rider buy something a bit better.

Similar Products Used: cheapo crap shimano things, scott comps
A D   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, nice looking, easily adjustable

Very poor braking power. Requires frequent adjustments and centering. Very poor control at speeds above 25 km/hr

Average to below averge brake. Mostly intended for infrequent and slow x-country riding

Jord   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2003]
Strength:

rather light (isn't this a prime reason to opt for the V-brake?) but other good v-brakes are as light, if not lighter. Look simple enough for a V brake.

Flex and friction causes poor modulation and poor stoping power. An on-off switch feel. Definitely not a set-and-forget component in my bike. Steel part get rusty in my riding environment (close to the sea).

If these brakes come with your stock bike (check out Trek, Klein, and Garry Fisher), I recommend to trade them with other models and get some discount for the new ones. This is, for me, the way to optimize the value from these brakes.

This brake shouldn't be used if you want to try some agressive technical rides, or even a long downhill road with some turns. New rider pay special attention to this message as I learn it the hard way.

I replace these brakes to Avid Utimate and have changed my attitude towards the V-brake system. V-brake can be so good (light wieght, great modulation, low maintenance, and plenty of power in one-WOW) and I know why I used to feel bad about it.

Don't buy this SD3 model unless you commute in a slow speed on a bike.

Similar Products Used: Avid Ultimate
trekkiller   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2002]
Strength:

Good stopping when dry only, excelant stopping power when at moderate speeds on slanted ground.

problems grabbing when wet, primarily when muddy, does not grab consistantly feels kinda jerky.

it is an excellant lite offroad brake for the beginer to moderate MTB'er, but when things get tuff these brakes take a hike.

Similar Products Used: deore lx
el ray   [Mar 01, 2006]
Strength:

Mega strong stopping power like all Avids. Immeditate grab.

Not as much modulation as weaker brakes (they're simply so strong they often lock up immediately) I try not to ever use the back for this reason. They go out of alignment sometimes (I can't figure this out)

I don't see what everyone's problem is with these brakes. For cheap rim brakes they are absolutely unmatched. They even compete with SD-7's in my opinion. With the exception of the odd alignment issues, the actual performance of these brakes is among the best I've ever used (and I'm a disc brake user). They simply STOP.

Similar Products Used: dozens
Benn Jamieson   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2004]
Strength:

They're in black.

Brake pads wear out too quickly. Fiddly to align. Too weak. Rusts!

Dont buy them unless you only trundle around the park. Not good for XC as they have limited stopping power and you really have to squeeze the brake to get it to grip the wheel.

Similar Products Used: Stock cantilevers on me Cannondale.
a_sanity_assassin   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2002]
Strength:

They work...... in the beginning

Then they don't

Awkward to adjust. Pull to one side. Soft/mushy rear. Reasonable stopping power. Too much work to warrant buying them as after market - they came on the bike and now they're going in favour of SD Ultimates. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody if you do any off-road riding. My granny makes hotter chilli than these, hence a disappointingly low 2/5.