Avid Single Digit 10 Brake System

• Locking Noodle & boot
  • Cable Anchor

• User Reviews (48)

NA1NSXR   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2008]
    Strength:

Solid performance

No adjustability

I have used these brakes for more than 10 years now, and they have served me well. They have always provided reasonably strong braking power that I have come to expect from v brake systems. I have taken care of them this last decade, and made sure they were properly adjusted (toe angle is just a crutch to eliminate noise, optimally setup v brakes use very little to no toe angle). No sqeaks or loss of power, and they make only minor noise in the nastiest conditions. I have equipped them with many different pads over the years and I find the original Avid ones to be excellent but fast wearing, therefore the majority of the time I have been using Kool Stop pads which have only a tiny bit less power but last a lot longer.

I am overhauling my bike with a new build kit and I have decided to go with new calipers and levers for the updated design and adjustability. I think the SD10's are really great brakes for the money though. A lot of people complain about noise and lack of braking power but all V brakes use the same general design and the contact surface (pad) is changable. Those problems are usually due to poor setup.

Chris   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2006]
    Strength:

Predictable response

None noticed at present

I recently installed the new Aztec pads and followed Zinn's expert advice to use a paper clip in the pads' installation to provide the proper toe-in to mitigate some very annoying squeaking of the rear pad. With this upgrade, the brakes are working well. The bike looked like it had some pretty serious use when purchased; replaced the crank and bottom bracket. The brakes don't show adverse response to the previous user's arduous exhibiton of the bike.

Similar Products Used: First v-brake
    Brian   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2001]
    Strength:

These brakes are the best i have ever tried. All of my friends try them compared to theres and they are so much stronger.

My pads squeak a little after some lube got in there.

These are the best v brakes Ihave tried but my friend is getting some arch rivals so who knows. I use these for moderate freeriding stuff and they work great. my only complaint is that the little plastic cover on the cable splits.

Similar Products Used: Crappy v's, crappy coda discs, much crap
    Jarard Isler   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
    Strength:

Stop on a dime. Simple setup.

I am only human and have the same frailties as everybody else.

Darn good breaks and levers, the levers are nice and short and they look cool. Great for people with big hands and I guess if you have little hands they will work for you also.Five Flaming dead Horses

Similar Products Used: Alivo (ha, ha), xt, xtr
    shaun   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2001]
    Strength:

cheap, simple, easy to service

not east to fine tune, maybe too cheap

they work fine and dandy and have plenty of stopping power, but they do have a few problems. I stripped the screw on the rear brake after fiddling with it. I know how to adjust brakes, but it was just a weak screw. Also, the pins that hold them apart was hard to adjust and it was too close to the rim for comfort. The front brakes are fine so far and have required minimal adjusting. I am putting xt on the back only. I hear too much about squealing on the front.

Similar Products Used: none yet
    Vince   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2000]
    Strength:

These have been the worst V-brakes I've ever used. The spring tension is high and after only 2 weeks of using them they developed an extreme amount of free-play.

Junk, don't waste your money. Shimano LX V-brakes are a better buy.

Similar Products Used: shimano XT and LX V brakes
    Damon   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 08, 1999]
    Strength:

easy to set up, plenty of power

none yet

when i bought the marin rocky ridge, i upgraded everything to xtr except the brakes. i saw no reason to. i've used xtr v-brakes and these are no different, except for maybe a little weight, for far less money. i'm using them with xtr levers and have ridden them hard for the last 3 months and they have never let me down.

Similar Products Used: XTR, alivio p.o.s.
    andy   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2001]
    Strength:

S-I-M-P-L-I-C-I-T-Y!!!!!!!!!

can't find it yet

when I bought my `98 K2 it had crappy STX V-brakes & levers, after complaining they upgraded me to XT. this may have been a mistake! after a few months they were loose & rattling, which caused them to squeal louder than Ned Beatty in "Deliverance". the only remedy was to toe them in so much they barely stopped me.

a buddy gave me these brakes & levers since he had XTR stuff on his kona. they have been great. along with ceramic wheels the bike stops as well as any disk setup, even in mud & snow.

Similar Products Used: shimano XT V-brakes, Magura hydrolics
    Scott   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2003]
    Strength:

Stopping power, lever feel, levers

Adjusting the pads requires you to hold the pad with one hand while adjusting (same for the LX at that time). Tightness of the pad is limited to the amount of pressure and stabilization you can provide to the pad as you are tightening it. Pad tightness is an issue for lower end brake models I think.

I'm thinking that XT, XTR or SRAM 9.0 brakeset would be better - obviously (they cost more!). I tried out the SRAM 9.0 and the pads had some concave washer type things that really locked the pads down on both sides of the brake arms, damn! If the assembly fell apart when you were working you had hell to pay. But, you could get a strong adjustment that couldn't easily knock the pads out of whack.