Avid Shorty 6 Cantilever Brake Caliper Brake System

Shorty 6 Cantilever Brake Caliper

The Shorty 6 brake was updated in 2009To minimize "chatter" when used with lightweight forks.Shorty 6 * For use with road or cantilever levers * Center mount pads for reduced brake chatter * Oversized springs increase reliability in harsh cyclocross conditions * Arms are easyTo center with a spring adjuster screw * Uses road-type brake shoes so you can easily switchTo pads made for carbon rims * 157 grams

stgparris   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2010]
Strength:

Avid Shorty 6 2010 version. Very good braking compared to Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes. They will stop you when needed. Pad wear is definitely better than the Oryx by far. Also 80 grams lighter than the Oryx in complete set (40grams/pair).

Only weakness I've found is they are a bit spongy with brand new brake cables. Probably due to the fact that the cables haven't stretched out yet.

I've heard numberous reports about squelling with these brakes. I had mine professionally installed at a bicycle shop. When looked at after installation I found a bit of toe-in on the pads themselves. The only time I've heard any noise whatsoever out of these brakes was when the return spring didn't pull the brakes completely off the rim braking surface. Then and only then do I hear anything at all. Usually this noise quits withing a couple of turns of the wheel itself and I have my brakes set extremely tight. So tight in fact, you can't get a dime between the pads and the rims. It will take more time and hopefully no flats before the pads wear enough to allow me to remove the wheel for flats.

Similar Products Used: Tektro Oryx, Avid SD-7
pstickne   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

[For 2009 Avid Shorty-6; different from 2008 model]. All I have to say is ... wow. I can easily lock the tires on a long steep decent. These things are *strong*, even with the standard brake pads. I am looking forward to trying them in the rain and mud.

The dull/matte silver gray fits my color scheme perfectly. They aren't for the bling, but they do catch good comments from mechanics who know.

I personally chose the 2009 vs. the 2008 model because of the new design and outside brace which looks incredibly durable and rigid; unlike the "froglet" style, the cable attachments are raised nice and high, as cantilevers should be, that allows for a low cable pull angle (and incredible pull strength).

While the cartridges are refillable (standard V-brake), they are still the basic traditional style and not the better design found in the Kool Stop MTB/BMX pads. However, since the cartridge holders can be replaced, it's not really a weakness: yet, savvy shoppers interested in ditching the stock cartridge setup may save some money on the Shorty 4 cantilevers.

Brakes squealed very loudly until properly tightened with a very slight toe-out (not toe-in). Small tweaks and adjustments (including proper tightening of steerer, cable hanger and pads) created a noiseless braking experience.

At least in dry weather these things have amazing stopping power -- compared to some more boutique brands, these are also a relative bargain.

Only 4 chilis for value because cartridges only compatible with V-brake style pads (I will replace the pads with the Kool Stop MTB/BMX pads).

Only 4 overall rating because, unlike the Shimano, these cantilevers take some more fussing to get them dialed in and silent (but once dialed in, they really, really grip).

Similar Products Used: Older Shimano (Altus and Acera?) cantilevers.
awa   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2009]
Strength:

They look sharp and come with really good pads.
They are easy to setup: I did a part of it myself and, after realizing I needed new cables, I took the bike to new LBS I have not used before. They admitted that they had not installed the 2009 version before but did it pretty well anyway after reading the instruction.
Most importantly those brakes actually let you stop a bike. A novel experience to a former user of Empella Frooolegs.

The brakes come with two straddle cables: short for more stopping power and the long one for more modulation. I would prefer one adjustable straddle wire. I am planning to try a setup with the Empella Frogglegs yoke.

I am thrilled to have brakes that actually work for a reasonable price. I spent countless hours myself and paid for numerous attempts by experienced bike mechanics to make Empella Frogglegs work.

Similar Products Used: Avid Shorty 4 2006, Empella Frogglegs
bs9   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2009]
Strength:

2009 version is the best stopping canti around. easy set up, very adjustable. good modulation and stopping power. it ain't a disc, but it's great for a canti, no chatter on the front (as opposed to oryx). easy to toe shoes, shorty 6 has cartridge pads.

none yet for a canti (but it ain't a disc brake)...

best canti brake around - GET THE 2009 VERSION!

Similar Products Used: tektro oryx (2 different versions)
kirkmeister   Racer [Oct 09, 2008]
Strength:

They're as effective as a chocolate teapot but at least you can eat a chocolate teapot.

Squeel like a pig being tortured.
Massive fork judder that makes your eyeballs rattle
Damn right dangerous!

I've had a mechanic that is trusted with the set up of top pro's bikes, but he gave up too.

Being skint, I've had to make do but they just are too damn dangerous riding in traffic, let alone a knarley off road decent!

I've even tried to change brake compounds etc to no avail!
They may work on other bikes but mine is a big frame and the distance of pull may just be too great. No fit for purpose.

Similar Products Used: Frogleggs, XT cantis
Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2003]
Strength:

STRONG, easy to set up and adjust.

Difficult to find mntbikes that are canti-compatible, or parts that will accomodate. I sometimes wonder if they're TOO strong.

I had these on my cross bike for a long time. I loved them on the cross bike, they were the single best upgrade I made on that bike. Then, I sold the cross frameset and recently assembled a touring bike and a single speed. WOW, you want to talk about a strong set of brakes. Coupled with mnt bike brake levers, these thangs will stop on a dime, even when wet. I highly suggest toeing in the pads. You don't have to squeeze the levers too much to apply the brakes. Once the pads grip the rims, the brake levers will not squeeze too much further. I like this since I don't have to adjust the pads too close to the rims. This way, when they do go out of adjustment, they're not rubbing on the rims. I can wait until the end of the ride to adjust.

I HIGHLY recommend these brakes for your cyclocross or touring bike. You will not be disappointed. If you have a fully rigid mnt bike and you just like to be a little different, these will not disappoint you.

Similar Products Used: Various V-brakes.
Nelson Binch   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2004]
Strength:

Easier to set up than traditional cantis. Unholy strong coupled to 105 STI shifters

Finish rather dull

beats the pants off any previous canti design. Great being able to use V-brake style pads and adjust them the same way you do a V.

Similar Products Used: CODA and Shimano cantis
Charlie   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2002]
Strength:

powerful, rock solid, easy set-up, good pads.

The Shorties make you look down on people who think that only V-brakes or discs are worth having. It's not nice to smirk at lesser folk, but it's a common weakness.

The brakes really stop your bike and offer great modulation and "feel" because they are so solid. The stock pads are also as good as I've ever had.
Many Kleins cannot take V-brakes on the rear. This is a great solution. Just watch out if your chain stays are very short (mine are 16.7 inches) and your Q-factor is small (I've got a 113 BB with XT cranks and Time ATAC pedals). Otherwise your heels might hit the calipers. But this isn't very likely.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT V-brakes, a lot of older cantilevers.
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2002]
Strength:

very powerful stopping, great stock pads, stops reasonably when wet

required me to replace my rear cable..slightly tricky to set initially..if gotten wet without drying time the stock pads don't stop as well as they could..may want to get some koolstop eagle 2 threaded if you're expecting a fair ammount of wet riding, or even discs if you expect a lot of wet or muddy riding

great brakes to cut down the dangerously fast stopping on my front shimano alivio w/ koolstop eagle 2 no threads (tried riding with no rear brakes and whole bike flipped on top of me when I went over the bars).