Shimano XT Pads Brake Pad

XT Pads

Shimano XT Pads

Kevin Niesen   Racer [Dec 11, 2001]
Strength:

None None None

Every thing! Squeals like a pig going in heat, also sounds like palm sander on your rims, $30 what the hell for ?

Never used anything else (my fault) I thought I was doing something wrong on my set up until I was enlighten by others that wrote about this piece of S$%t. Next will be Kool Stops. I think the Manufacture should reimburse us for new rims, so write me a check for 500 big ones.

Similar Products Used: Next !
Wade   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2003]
Strength:

keeps the pad holder from contacting the rim.

affinity for rim metal. rapid wear.

These pads came on my first V-brake bike. I thought they were fine until I wore them out in ONE DAY of wet riding. I was lucky and didn't go all the way down. A bike mechanic on the ride rode his into the rim!

When I changed to WTB's I found that: little pieces of metal quit showing up in the pad, brakes don't HAVE to squeal, and that pads don't have to wear out every time it rains.

I've put 10x the wet riding on WTB/KoolStops than the OEM jobs, and they're still fine.

Seems like Shimano could do a better job. EVERY OTHER pad I've tried has been better than the Shimano product.

The good knews is-for Shimano pad users- I now carry a spare set in the Camelbak.

Similar Products Used: WTB, KoolStop, no-name
L Friesen   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2002]
Strength:

none at all

worst sound i have ever heard coming off a set of pads. Squeal with even just a light moistening, let along mud. Shimano you should be ashamed to sell these with good XT brakes

When you buy XT's dont even bother using these at all- immediatly change to kool stops- they are amazing.
Im just angry that I have to patronise these pads with one chili

Similar Products Used: Kool Stop Eagle 2's
Ddust13   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

None! They suck!!!!!!!!

These have destroyed my rear rims with only mild usage without riding through mud of dirt. They are dirt magnets, they hold onto dirt and let it grind your rims to nothing. They suck!

Did I say they suck? That's why I'm getting some Kool-Stops today

Alan Koslowski   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2002]
Strength:

Decent Power in dry conditions

Wear quickly
Mediocre at best in wet conditions

Note: Price paid is for 1-pair

Just thought I'd throw in another mediocre to bad review for this product. Guy at the shop said these are good. They work fairly well in dry conditions, but performance decreases greatly in wet weather and pads deteriorate quickly. The MSRP is high, performance is at best average. NOT a good value.

Similar Products Used: Avid stock brakes (came w/V brakes), Aztec
KIMO   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2003]
Strength:

The Shimano name is suppose to represent quality in bike parts.. Boy, was I wrong!!!!!!

I can't get by brakes to stop squealing. Two weeks of adjusting toe, sanding the rims and pads produced no improvement. The brakes on my kid's Huffy run quieter. Super abrasive....bye-bye rims!!!!

Just got the KoolStop pads so I'm trying them out. So far, so good. I will never put Shimano pads on my bike again, even if it's free. Pads feel like they're a combination of rubber and valve-grinding compound. Giving these pads a rating of "1" only because there isn't a "0" rating.

Similar Products Used: Shimano replacement pads, KoolStop
Francis   [Mar 06, 1996]

These pads are truly excellent. They are quiet, stop well on dry and wet conditions. They are big and hard to adjust but that goes with the territory. The pads are refillable at $13 for a set of 4. That's a great deal and saves a lot of effort readjusting the brakes

Kokopelli   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

They stop the bike.

They wear out quick, they squeal like a pig.

I got new brakes and these pads came with em. They were done after less than one month of riding. Granted the riding was in mostly muddy conditions but after riding Kool-stops I expected more from pads, I'm switching back.