Ritchey V-Brake Pads Brake Pad

V-Brake Pads

Ritchey V-Brake Pads

Mike Jackson   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2009]
Strength:

clear off easy.reliable..work in alot of conditions, Cool color

none. I need to replace them(darnit..

I've used these pads for every bike i've owned plus my wife's bike. these pads are resiliant, after a beating, dry-wet creek crossings,rocky.The only problem I've had with them is they don't make a tire from this compound. I've felt like i'm being pushed toward my bars, and have needed to sit further back on the saddle so I don't feel the urge to move foreward. These pads kick ass, here in the Austin area the conditions are not the easiest on brake pads.Normally I'm really picky about my brake performance,I'm replacing my pads today with Koolstops, These red one are like red traffic lights, they stop the wheel. Skidding,well,thats for ya'll to workout yourselves. Peace...

Similar Products Used: Avid,shimano,others I don't remember.
Todd   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2003]
Strength:

Stops great with little or no squeaking

None so far

My XT V-brakes had caused lots of frustrations with squeaking and squealing from every pad I tried. Finally another rider suggested Richey pads. I picked up some "red" pads... They worked great. Keep your rims clean and scoured and sand off the pads every couple of weeks. No more squealing!

Similar Products Used: XT, Kookstop
bobby gent   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

they break at the stem....where the metal shaft connects with the pad

go with the rim wranglers they are better

Similar Products Used: avid rim wranglers
FSRslug   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2001]
Strength:

Provide slowing down power

Dont stop as fast i'd like them to. Can't get them adjusted to feel like my friends bikes. They are very squishy. The pad itself is too large.

I will not recommend these to anyone. They work for the first 20 hours of riding and then start to degrade in performance a lot. They don't stop very fast(some of that is the brakes and not the pads). Developed a squealing noise like I have never heard before. Most squealing sounds somewhat similar, but this now sound like a teacher dragging her fingernails across the blackboard.

Similar Products Used: Dia-compe
Eric   cross-country rider [Mar 26, 1998]

The red (severe) v-brake pads are not the world's greatest for mud and stuff. They do wear down in a hurry, but their stopping distance remains good. I reason I gave them 2 chili's is because I have yet to find anything else that does not wear down after a couple of weeks of riding in the mud.

SNODOG1   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 29, 1999]
Strength:

NO SQUEALING

POWER, STOPPING, RESIDUE

WAS NOT EASLIY INFLUENCED TO CHANGE OVER FROM CANTI'S DUE TO THE AWESOME POWER OF THE OLD RED CANTI PADS; NEVER LET ME DOWN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DID TO THE COMPOUND FOR THE V-BRAKE VERSION... I TRIED THE BLACK JUST BECAUSE ALL THE BAD RAP ABOUT THE RED'S. THERE IS ALMOST NO WAY THAT THE RED CAN BE WORSE THAN THE RED. IF ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND SOME PADS FOR BIG STOPPING POWER FEEL FREE TO OFFER SUGGETIONS

Similar Products Used: SHIMANO-XT
Fred   cross-country rider [Nov 04, 1997]

The black Ritcheys are great. They give my amazing stopping power, and excelent life. They are quite expensive though, so I have bought the grey CoolStops since.

Wheels   cross-country rider [Oct 25, 1997]

Buy the black ones, they are the best v-brake pads available, a big improvement on the Shimano pads. ( Never buy the red pads - they suck the fat one.)

Ted   weekend warrior [Nov 02, 1997]

I just installed the red V-brake pads and on my first ride, they squealed. I figure I'd give them another chance but same thing on the second ride. I've now deposited the red pads into my garbage can and am using my OE until I have time to buy some Kool Stop

Jeremiah Starkey   racer [Jan 07, 1997]

More durable then XTR pads, but still not durable enough. Its all about how long they last in the mud.