Ritchey Pads Brake Pad

Pads

Ritchey Logic Pads

John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Kool "Whale Tail" design, Softer compound, Stops faster & Less rim sidewall marking when compared to stock pads.

Pads still cause a squeaking sound even if they are clean or dirty or set-up correctly or even in-correctly.

I purchased these in the funky red colour, when compared to my bikes matte peacock blue colour. There shaped like that of a Humped Back Whales tail fin & or like that of late 1990's Porsche 911 Turbos rear wing. The pads are of a softer compound then what came with the stock Shimano Acera X brake arms. They stop faster & mark up your rims a lot less. They still make squeaking sounds in any or all cycling situations. Compared to my Hayes (HFX 9 XC) - they make your bike stop on a dime, but only give back 3-4 cents.
Bottom Line: I still use them to this day, when ever my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk is in for service. It teaches me that you can't always do last second hard braking & to think ahead. I learned this lesson when a child ran out infront of me (crossing a waterfront bike path) and my front wheel nearly made contact.

Similar Products Used: Stock cantilever pads on a 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn & 1996 GT Ricochet.
Gerr Hulme   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2001]
Strength:

Finally, after numberous other pads, brake boosters, toe ins, new Avid brakes, etc; no more front wheel noise. These pads stop all the braking Squeal, (even without proper toe-in.)

Stopped all my front wheel squeal with braking.

marxtrain   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome stopping power, effortless braking ability

haven't discovered yet

Just screwing around in the yard I find them to have awesome stopping power. I was extremely impressed that qick. No way they can let me down on the trail. Supreme braking ability. Easy to endo with. Stop with minimal finger effort. I bought the blues for extreme conditions and they look mighty darn cool on the bike! Can't wait to get them wet and to test the longevity...... I like 'em! 5 flammin' chilis fer shur!!

Similar Products Used: Sticky fingers, Diacompe
Greg   weekend warrior [Sep 21, 1998]

If you like spoungy pads these are for you. I got a set on my Avid braks and they were mushy until I put some XTR pads on. Watch them when you squeeze your brake levers, you can actually see pads flex and compess. I toss them right away. Other than that I have no problem with Ritchey. Except his magazine adds.

Dick Hertz   cross-country rider [Jul 27, 1997]

These pads are awsome. I was going to replace my LX's with v-brakes but after I put these pads on there was no need to. They are huge and so easy to set up correctly. Thanks Tom for great pads. F U Shitmano for lousy LX pads.

Axel Toivonen   weekend warrior [Apr 23, 1996]

These pads work great! They wear hard and install easily due to the small knobs in the rear side of them making toe-in a snap. The black work much better than the softer red ones(too soft), they do not produce as much black goo with the rim as the red ones. After ½ a year of riding they work as new, the only visible wear is the disappearing of the toe-in knobbies. The best I've had so far, after AZTEC, Shimano-crap, Dia-compe, CODA, old CODA. They don't flex as much as Winwood or Mathauser(It could be my Cannondale M800 too) P.S. take a look under them and see that KOOLSTOP is written there :)

Prince Denson   weekend warrior [May 05, 1996]

I do a lot of riding in the Pacific Nortwest and the conditions range from extremely wet to dry. I ride a lot of single track and these pads have excellent stopping power in wet or dry conditions. I have used shimano pads in the past and these Ritchey's are superior in terms of wear and stopping power. These are by far the best pads i have ever used and would recommend them to all.

Rob   cross-country rider [May 03, 1996]

They work great dry or wet, shed mud like crazy, have a good feel, wear long, and resist squealing. The only two problems I have with mine are price (but you get what you pay for), and susp. fork/tire clearance when slipping my front wheel on and off (spit helps in greasing the tire through). Hey Tom! Design some that can clear my fork sliders and I'll stop complaining about the price, give these pads 5 stars, and buy another pair for my front _before_ the current set wears out. Yeah, they're really good, but they could easily be made perfect.

Ron   weekend warrior [Mar 28, 1996]

Cool product! Those guys at Ritchey really know how make a brake pad with superior stopping power and at a reasonable price. These pads are nice and long and slightly curved, which translates into plenty of surface area to make contact with your rims. They are easily adjustable and toe-in is made simple during initial installation due to little toe-in nubs on the brake pads. Basically, you just lay the brake pads on the rim and tighten them down. Behold! In less time than it takes you to read this review you could install these brake pads and be on your way down some trecherous ravine. I've tried Scott Mathauser, Koolstop and Aztec brake pads, but none compare to the excellent stopping power of the Ritchey Logic Pads. The Mathausers tended to glaze over after a period of time which greatly reduced their efficiency. In addition, due to their lack of grooves or channels, they perform poorly in wet or muddy conditions. While the Koolstop and Aztec brake pads (same thing right!) have channels to handle the wet stuff, they still lack the positive braking power that the Ritchey Logic Pads offer. Currently, I'm running the Ritchey Logic Pads on Shimano STX RC brakes. I can only imagine that these pads would perform even better on the higher model Shimano brake sets and all of those high-tech aftermarket brakes.

Luc Hamel   racer [Jun 03, 1996]

I would just like to reajust my rating on the Ritchey brake pads. The Black logic pads are awesome stoppers . In my opinion they are only rivaled by the Scott-Mathausers.(only less grabby and easier on your rims. I've been using the Ritchey black pads for a couple of years and they are worth what you pay for. However I'm quite dissastisfied with the red pads. They are labeled as severe condition (wet n' muddy I guess) so I bought 2 pairs for the spring and they are very ordinary stoppers.I used them for two weeks and they don't work as well as the black one. I compare them to less expensive Kool-Stops(who, incidently make the Ritchey pads) I switched to the black ones and my stopping power is back.So I give 5 stars to the black Ritchey and a poor little star for the red ones. (because of the price and the S.C. label) So I guess 3 stars overall would be the average. ***note I'm not the only one finding the red pads poor performers. Lennard Zinn performed a test last year in Velonews and the black pads were rated as very good and the red one were in the bottom of the chart. Bicycling liked them though.