Kool-Stop Thinline Pads Brake Pad

The Kool-StopThinline Brake Shoe is designed for Linear pull use and includes mounting hardware.

mahshroom   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent stopping power

Learning to setup properly (This goes for most cantilever brakes), not pad's fault.
Price (13 bucks per brake).

This review is for Kool Stop Mountain pad (thinline) black version.

I've put a good amount of miles past few months riding around Washington hills. They have much, much improved stopping power over stock suntour cantibrake pads due to its large rim-pad contact area. It stops as good as my old xt v-brakes with xtr pads. It took some trial and error to set them up, but once I figured out how to setup properly it was relatively easy to work with. In general cantilever brake is pain to set up so don't blame the pads. I first align the pad by holding the pad/brakes next to the rim to desired position and tighten the nut (10mm nut) using my fingers. Then I use allen wrench to hold the bolt that holds the stud of the brake pad, then fully tighten the nut that I had initially secured with my fingers.

Take note as the pad has arrow that indicates direction of wheel rotation. Make sure both ends of the pad are same distance from the rim. Aligning them this way will ensure pads to toe-in (front end of the pad closer to the rim) and eliminates squealing. I have not had any squeals since installation.

I dont know how well they stop in steep hills in wet condition as I have only rode them in sprinkles once, w/o a problem. Perhaps it wasn't wet enough.

Price is quite steep for cantilever pads (12-13 bucks per brake, plus shipping). Three chilis for being so expensive, and 4 chilis for good performance.

Happy riding~

Similar Products Used: Shimano & Suntour cantilever pads
Genital Apparatus   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2003]
Strength:

Provide good modulation, were not difficult at all to set up.

Do not lock up very easily, have an annoying mud plow tip which I had to sand off.

Not worth the money if you want your brakes to lock up at the touch of a finger. Next up: Plaz.

Similar Products Used: Stock black pads, Jagwire black pads.
Tim Cook   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2003]
Strength:

well.. i took my precious time adjust my kool stop thinlines (v's) and wheel so they were perfect, and i think their strengh would be their ability to piss you off.

Weaknesses: where do i start... I couldnt figure out which way to install them so I went online to find the correct way. after i rode on them i could only endo if i was standing up. Then they started to squeak like hell and move around and rub on my tire. The second they hit water they were pointless.

THIS IS A MUST READ
I only had these breaks installed on my bike for one day. ONE DAY. It was so embarising having a nice bike and then your all thanks, and hit your front breaks and they squeak like hell. ANYWAY>>> i tried to give them a second chance so i called my local bike place thingy and asked for every way to make them so they wouldnt squeak. in that process i got a little more strengh, and the squeaking stoped for about a minute then it was worse than ever before. So i got pissed, and my friend looked at his OLD Pacific Bike and laughed and said it had V brakes... I took a closer look at those pads, and the seemed to be worthy of a try. so i installed those pads and the squeaking stoped, and the power went WAY up and they are soo much smoother stopping than the thinlines. You can endo SOOO much harder and for less $ than the thinlines.

Bottomline, dont waste your money on Kool Stop Thinline V brake pads when you can get better pads for half the cost. By the way, that pacific bike also had ProMAx v brakes. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT

Similar Products Used: ProMax V brakes
Nick   [Oct 27, 2001]
Strength:

This is a review of the Salmon thinline pads.

Very good grip when dry, and a good price. I switched from Maguras to Avid SD-7's on my trials bike, and threw on these pads. I haven't noticed any loss of power.

Like most any v-brake pad they lose a lot of power when wet. I live in Arizona so I don't really care, though.

They grab and hold tight. If you want the ultimate in braking performance for trials with v-brakes, go for the Plazmatic CR-V pads. If you want something that will get the job done for a reasonable price, try these. Keep them dry. I'm giving them 5 overall because I don't have to worry about wet weather braking. If I did it would probably be a four.

Similar Products Used: Red pads for Magura HS-33's (similar performance), shimano stock pads, Avid rim wrangler's
nick   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2001]
Strength:

Looks, Awesome in the dry, price(compareed to shimano), good in mud.

Crap when really wet.

Very good in dry and dryish mud, but useless in rain on wet rims. Better value than shimano and last a long time.

Similar Products Used: Std Shimano deore
Shaun Jerny   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2000]
Strength:

Lasts ages, good modulation and overal stopping power
and that pointed front thing to clear mud.

Wet

These pads are the best v-pads i've ever had,ecept in the wet. They've lasted me nearly a year of street riding and there still goning strong, these are a must. I probably won't see them run out 'cos i'm going to disks if a few weeks!

Similar Products Used: Avid, Fibrax, cheap nameless
Cook   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2000]
Strength:

Worked well enough in the dry.

They don't like water.

I have used these pads for a week and they are definately broken-in with about 20 miles of twisty-single track and about the same distance in road commuting on them. Even in the dry they are very soft and do nothing to instill confidence.....even with the pads a millimeter off the rim, I am still squeezing my levers about 2/3rds to achieve lock-up and I have tried several set-ups, toe-in etc....

20 minutes ago I came back from my first road ride in the rain with these pads. 10 minutes ago I was rooting through eggshells and banana peels in my garbage can to digout the 90% worn Shimano's that I took off in order to install these life-risking-in-the rain pads with!

Don't buy them unless you live in the dessert! (ie: no rain)

Similar Products Used: only what has come stock on my past bikes...so usually Shimano
David   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2000]
Strength:

Stop brilliantly
Clear the rim of mud and grunge and dont end up all clogged up. Wear well

None so far

These pads are the best i have tried and I will probably stick with them. Have had them about a month and ride every day. Great stopping power and choice of colours. I particularly like the fact that they dont wear fast and that they actually still work in muddy conditions (unlike shimano). The wedge design seems to work clearing the rims and unlike shimano they dont seem to clog up. They dont wear anywhere near as fast as shimanos and seem to have more meat on the pads to start with. They squeeled a bit a few times but a few minor adjustments and they are great.

Basically - Kool stuff, get them.

Similar Products Used: Power tools then Shimano xt cartridge pads which were absolute crap and were gone after only a few muddy session (thats the xt's)
Ethan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2000]
Strength:

brake design. Easy setup.

umm, none

These brakes are the shiznit. Real stopping power. No noise. Really easy to setup. Bottom line...Go get'em.

Similar Products Used: shimano
Shaun   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2000]
Strength:

That wedge design thingy. Brilliant!

This hurts absolutely nothing, but I had to use my stock lower ball hub thingy to overcome that 3mm spacer deal. Probably not a problem for people who have actual V brakes like the product is designed for. Again, this isn't an actual weakness, but I gotta list it to be fair.

I just installed these a few hours ago but i'm blown away already. When you put the pad side to side with one of the Proline stock pads, I'm forced to wonder what the heck Specialized was thinking! The Koolstop pad is so obiviously superior that I don't get why ANYONE would ever use anything else.

I'm a roadie by nature, so I can't speak for wet performance or any of that, but just for kicks I didn't bother cleaning my rim until after I tested them and they still gripped like glue to the dirt & dust covered rim. After washing off the rim, they gripped even better.

The only complaint I have so far is that it seems to make a HONK noise when I was doing test endo's using the front brake. However, the pads DO have a break-in period and I haven't even begun that yet so in all fairness I assume the HONK will disappear once they're broken in.

If you're considering new pads, by all means buy some koolstops. Even if you're not considering new pads, reconsider. They're $14 for 2 (you need 4 total) so at $30 its not cheap, but the Eagle 2 pads are the same thing more or less for only $9/ea.

Bottom line: Buy some koolstops. That is all.