Kool-Stop Pads Brake Pad

Kool Stop Sintered Disc Pads Formula Mega/One/R1: High performance compounds recommended for all-conditions. Steel backing.

Jorge   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2009]
Strength:

Glazed over after only a few hundred miles on a steep decent. Horrid product.

Squeal like hell, had the bike shop install them as I was going for a tour of Colorado and had heard they were excellent.

Boy were all the recommendations wrong, the pads were cooked while coming down a mountain pass (and they only had 300 miles on them). And I wasn't braking that much!!

Bottom line: Expensive and horrible. Don't waste your money. Go for something else.

Similar Products Used: Shimano bog standard V-Brake pads
Jonathan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

Very grippy, easy on rims, rarely squeal, good surface contact.

A bit hard to adjust due to their length. Adjustment has to be perfect or they rub the tire or rim. Require some break-in.

For $8 these are a great pad. Cheesy name and packaging, but very high quality product. I was a bit concerned at first as the pads seemed quite thin, and didn't seem to grip the rim all that well, but after about a week of riding, the pads had broken in a bit and have become extremely grippy which is perfect for my riding style. A few of my friends with discs can't get over the performace of my very well used V setup in comparison to their Avid and Hayes setups.

All that said its a little hard to align the pads since they are rather long, so alingment has to be really precise.

Similar Products Used: Whatever came on my Avids
Rick Hutchison   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2007]
Strength:

Does what they're supposed to do, stop the bike.

Not as grippy as Shimano stock metallic pads.

Got these disk brake pads at a sale at my LBS 2 years ago for $5.00 per set CDN. Never used them and as spring is coming decided to give them a try under drier conditions.
Work pretty well but are taking a while to break in. Excellent value for the money but only great for performance.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, EBC.
Alex   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2002]
Strength:

GREAT stopping power.

throw you off you bike even if youre doing 5 mph, up a 45 degree hill! I thought it would wear fast, but i havnt seen anything so far.

Great stopping power, no matter how good your brakes are. they squelled a bit in the begginning, but a quick toe in adjustment, and from then on they worked great. only bought some for the front, but i might get some for the rear in the near future.

Similar Products Used: stock pads, forgot name.
steve   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

great stopping power
good in mud, water, lava, and tornados
goes from 60 to 0 in one endo
cheap, and worth it

um, it aint really a weekness to me, but they wear fast, heck for $10, i'd rather know i can stop when i pull the brakes

very good brakes. buy them if you are in need of stopping power with V-brakes. work great!

Similar Products Used: xt's xtr's and other stuff
Darren Ling   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2006]
Strength:

This review is for kool stop disc pads, organic compound.
Quiet, didn't have to run in, instant silence and outstanding grip right out of the package

zero

I will keep this short. Had new Magura pads, both 5.1 and 5.2 compounds. (performance and endurance) or should I say, squeaky and squeakier? Anyway, I got tired of trying to run in and ride on my magura, and found two pair of kool stop organic disc pads on ebay for 24.00, put them on, and tested. NO NOISE, AND AMAZING POWER FROM THE GET GO. I was blown away, and blown away on my first trail ride with these. They felt better, were quiet, and had amazing power. I love them.

Similar Products Used: Magura
bubba   weekend warrior [Mar 22, 1998]

I bought these because I needed new pads and the Shimanos were way expensive. The guy at the bike shop said, buy these, their cheaper and work better. So , I did. I noticed they were shaped funny and had arrows on the sides. The dealer said the arrows should face towards the front. I did this and the front brakes worked great , but the back ones sucked. I turned the pads around, so that the arrows faced forward in front and backwards in back, This centered the shoes better in my brakes (Alivio canti's). They work great now, and much cheaper than springing for V-brakes.

John B.   weekend warrior [Mar 22, 1998]

I bought the v-brake replacement pads from my local bike shop. They were the only ones he carried, no Shimano, he claimed that they worked just as well. At first when I rode them I felt they did'nt work very well. After a few rides their performance improved greatly. I have'nt noticed any deterioration in performance when they get wet. They are, so far, as good as Shimano. I used my Shimano pads for a year. Now I need to see how long the Kool Stops last to see if the are a good value.

Arnold Rimmer   weekend warrior [Mar 25, 1998]

One word for these pads. Shit! Good idea but they so spongy its using a mars bar insead of pads, so I through them away and got some Shimano pads which are ok! Don't even think about trying to line these up flush with the rim as it will take ages! I say burn them all. Aanyway why are we all farting around with old canties when we have V-brakes which are 2x as power full and they look pretty good to!

fergie   cross-country rider [Mar 16, 1998]

I've been a bicycle mechanic for many years, and have not come across many
products which work as consistently at a relatively low price like these pads
do. As some others have noticed, koolstop makes the pads for ritchey, as
well as supplying the rubber for WTB pads. The eagle claw II's are as good as
anything out there. With a good set-up (critical, especially with cantilever
brakes) they work as well as anything else, save maybe Maguras. Get rid of those stock shimano M-system pads today, because koolstops rule! Every single customer that I have convinced to change from Shimano pads to Koolstops has been happy. Maybe koolstop should give me a commission...