Kool-Stop Eagle 2 Brake Pad

Kool-Stop Eagle 2 Brake Pad

The Kool-Stop Eagle Claw II Brake Shoe work with most cantilever brakes. Item Specifications Post MountTypeThreaded Pad Use Standard Brake Fit Cantilever

[Jul 09, 2011]
random_thought

Strength:

Bites like a pit. Wet performance of salmon pads very much the same as dry. Very long wearing. Good break feel and modulation.

A bit thick, but it can also me a good thing. Vbrake setup does not look as "true MTB" as disc setups. But that might just be me.

Ordered them online (they are not available in this side of the pond) after being convinced by all the reviews about these pads. Got the salmon version since i love riding in the rain. I'm so pleased that I decided to go this route instead of going discs when I was updating the parts for my MTB. Gave my old and trusty STX RC vee's a new lease on life. And it seems like it'll be quite a while until it retires since the pads don't seem to wear out. I frequent this very steep paved downhill road (dunno the gradient, but imagine going freewheel from 0 to 30 mph in 35 feet) where some disc equipped riders not even dare bomb down on, and my brakes never let me down. Also saved me a grip of cash by staying V'd. In muddy trails, it still provides decent stopping power, but nothing won't work well when its your tires that are slipping. If you decide to keep your vbrakes/cantis, get these if you want the best non-disc stopping power. For the price, i think you get your money's value.

Shimano, MOB

[Jul 10, 2010]
Garthr

Squeals like a Pg

Salmon Eagle 2's.

I thought these would be a no brainer great replacement pad. Not so. I've been using and setting up canti's since 1983 and I've never had a pad squeal as loudly as these do. I'm miffed. I've tried every conceivable setup option with these, and they just squeal no matter what. I go back to using some vintage Shimano pads, and the squeal is gone.

I'm going to try Velo Orange's Squeal Free pads.

Sun Tour, Aztec, Shimano pads

[Jan 22, 2009]
nuck_chorris

Strength:

sheds mud , works well in the rain.

not as good as disc brakes? nothing beats em.
other than that they are top dog

i would recommend these rim brake pads to anyone who prefers rim brakes to disc brakes. they are very reliable and also make good stoppies

shimano canti brakes

[Apr 06, 2004]
Alan Koslowski

Strength:

Excellent stopping ability it all conditions: dry, wet, hot, cold, it doesn't matter. Outstanding longevity. When used properly and replaced timely, will cause no damage to rims.

None that I can find.

I originally bought shimano break pad, which were terrible. Poor stopping ability and ate my original wheels. My LBS steered me toward the Eagles, and they proven outstanding. I ride regularly in all conditions, and these have proven excellent. The first set I bought lasted nearly a year. The work well in all conditions. I haven't found a better value in break pads anywhere.

Shimano break pad - absolutely awful. Tore the crap out of the first set of rims I had.

[Sep 20, 2006]
Phillip

Strength:

Kool Stop Eagle 2 threaded post brakes. Stops great - first time I've had to worry about going over the handlebars in years. Cheap. Very adjustable.

Rather thick - barely enough room to install on my 25-year old Univega (but enough). Had to let the cable out even though I just took off brand new Shimano pads. Unnecessarily long installation bolts - I'm tempted to hack saw them off.

Stop great, no squeal. Very happy.

Shimano LX, Matthauser. The Matthausers were great when new, but got old and lost effectiveness. The Shimanos were no better than the ancient Matthausers, even new - very poor stopping ability.

[Sep 02, 2001]
John

Strength:

good power
all-weather

these pads rock. they work in all conditions; wet, muddy, dry, u name it. I love these things. Plus, I've been using them for about 1,000 miles of hard braking and wet weather (in winter) and I still have plenty of pad to use.

shimano pads

[Aug 11, 2001]
Derek

Strength:

Geat stopping power, it didnt work well with my cantlevers but it works great with other systems

nine

Great product for the money

[Jan 03, 2000]
Paul

Strength:

excellent stopping power and no noise

ummm, none that I can think of.

The best pads for the money in my book

Stock Shimano LX pads

[Jul 20, 1999]
Tony_demanuele
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

I put these pads on my friends bike with xt cantilever brakes and the worked great, he almost endoed the first time he used the front brakes - way better than Shimano

Great Pad

Shimano pads

[Aug 02, 1999]
Mark

Strength:

Works like a brake pad should

They weren't stock on my bike.

Oh so much better than Shimano! They stop, don't squeal when set up right, and don't grind the crap out of your rims.

Lame-ass Shimano