Fibrax Vbrake Pads Brake Pad

Vbrake Pads

Fibrax Vbrake Pads

jkretsch   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2009]
Strength:

Inexpensive; good stopping power

Brake squeal/chatter

I have a REALLY hard time finding brake pads that do not squeal and/or chatter on my CX bike with v-style brakes. I tried the yellow Fibrax pads and found them to be "sticky" which made for good braking but this stickiness also resulted in a fair amount of brake chatter. I've certainly tried worse pads but the best pads I have found so far are the Koolstop Thinline pads. However, I have some Koolstop Tectonic pads on order and am hoping that will finally eliminate the squeal and chatter.

Similar Products Used: Koolstop Thinline, stock brake pads
Simon   [Dec 20, 2001]
Strength:

Reliable, good grip, longer lasting than most.
Very cheap.

When new they can squeel considerably but a bit of riding or sandpaper can sort out that problem.
Pad compound can sometimes(rarely though,)come loose from the fixing bolt.

I've always used Fibrax V brake pads on my rear V since I have ever had V's. Kick ass pads that last. Grip can decline in some weather conditions but they are better than most.
Buy Planet X sticky pads (V brake version) if you can, but these are a must if you can't.
...Reliable...

Similar Products Used: Textro V-Brake pads, Giant(own make)pads.
Alex   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2001]
Strength:

don't squeal, not bad grip

the cartridge pads are excellent, good bite and don't squeal. the normal pads are also good but don't have such a definate bite to them so not as good for trials.

i haven't found any brake pads better but more expensive than others.

Similar Products Used: shimano pads
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2006]
Strength:

just plain awesome. my old brakes were rubbish- as soon as they got damp, braking became postiviely dangerous. switched to these, and got the shock of my life. if you want to do serious braking with these, make sure you're hanging as far back off the saddle as you can.

if you need some brakes that work, get these. the only difference between the dry and the wet is that in the wet i have to be careful not to do a skid w/ the font wheel.

Andy   [Jun 24, 2006]
Strength:

They are better than most in the wet

Durability not very good, but I bought them in bulk at the time and they were real cheap

I got these because they had a good reputation in the wet and I needed something that would last more than one rainy afternoon when I was a bicycle courier. For that they didnt dissapoint, work well in the wet conditions. Durability was a problem, found I had to replace these often, even in dry conditions.

At retail these are expensive and not worth it, I would get kool stops, much better value

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX pads, Kool Stop pads (the best), Avid Rim Wrangler Pads
Butthead   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 03, 2000]
Strength:

Thicker than regular
Shape like the rim

Excellent pads, thick last longer, moderate price,
Uniformly shaped therefore easy to adjust without the tire rubbing problem that LX pads or other non-uniform pads give.

Similar Products Used: Shimano pads
Kool stop pads
(Both LX style)
Jamie Christie   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2001]
Strength:

Great power delivered in all weather conditions, quite cheap. long lasting.

Slightly soggy feeling on the brake levers, would work better if they manufactured them with a slightly smaller profile pads, or you can do this yourself with a knife.

Good brakes, won't find better for money, if you can buy the lower profile cartridge pads. Just don't but shimano they squeek against most rims!

Similar Products Used: Shimano m system-not as good, tektro-not bad, fibrax cartridge better low profile and a long time saving in money.
Ryan   [Mar 11, 2001]
Strength:

cheap

gone in one muddy ride, when I put them on, they gave my brakes a squishy feel, so I toed them in less...helped, but still not good

i use them because their all my lbs carries on a regular basis, and i'm too poor to buy cartridge brakes.

Similar Products Used: avid, shimano
Mike Mapston   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2001]
Strength:

I have tried many types of brake pads, including XTR ceramic specific pads at extortionate prices. I tried these pads on advice given to me, not expecting miracles for the small cost, I have been amazed at their stopping power, smooth delivery and their longevity.

None that I have found!

I don't know if these work as well with standard rims, but as they are not made for ceramics, I would not hesitate to reccommend them.

Similar Products Used: You name it, I tried it.
Collin   [Dec 10, 2000]
Strength:

Durable, good stopping power, quiet

Awesome, stops better than the kool stops and lasts longer than the shimano. Rims stay clean. They work well wet and dry. I have both the shimano re-fills and the whole pad