EBC Brakes Red Brake Pad

Red

Downhill Formula:

EBC provides a Red-coded Kevlar-based pad, which has a shorter lifetime , but the highest friction pad material available. It also has the benefit of a very low heat generation transfer into the hydraulics.

octronitation   Downhiller [Apr 13, 2011]
Strength:

EBC

Feel apart within a couple minutes

I got my LBS to order these in for me as I've always used ebc pads on my motorbikes and loved them.
I replaced the pads in the shop, went for a quick blast around town. Within minutes they were making a horrible noise. Checked the pads, there were only a few tiny clumps of meat left on the pads. Back to the shop, replaced them straight away with another set of reds. The same thing happened with these.
Granted this was about 5 ago now, my LBS has sold a few pairs since them, and the same thing has happened.

Similar Products Used: Hope
TEThot   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

super high friction good modulation

wear

Buy these pads that make this system great instead of ok. Bleed you lines, air in any system will make it suck for stopping power!!!!

Similar Products Used: coda semimetallic
Brian-cdn   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2007]
Strength:

more grip on long downhills

A bit grabby after a day of DH, but other pads seem to do it too.

They stop better than the Hayes sintered, semi-metallic, and Koolstop pads. I just install them for ski hill trips, and run the Hayes or Koolstop pads the rest of the time, so no issues with wear.

Similar Products Used: Hayes, Formula, Koolstop, EBC Golds
K-dog   Racer [Dec 28, 2006]
Strength:

Increase power and modulation from stock pads. There is no better pad out there.

Wear fast, always out of stock at distributors

If you are a racer and want to squeeze every millisecond off your time these pads are for you. They are also a great upgrade if you need more braking power but don't want to buy new brakes.
They wear very fast and would not use them for Freeride. Dry XC I think you could get a half season out of them.
I tend to use one pair during a race weekend, 15-20 DH runs

Similar Products Used: Kool top, Clarks, Avid, Hayes, jagwire
adamo oak   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2006]
Strength:

Everything. It was the worst brake pads I have ever had

I bought this pads about 2 days ago. After 5km!!!!! riding one of pads disapeard!! At first I didn't know what is going on, but after remove pads form caliper I saw what's happened. One of pads was totaly destroyed.

If you want to buy a new pads don't buy EBC pads!

Similar Products Used: Kool Stop, Jagwire
Matt   Racer [Feb 09, 2002]
Strength:

You want power!!! They give power!

Wear down quickly, but thats not that bad. Small price for super brakes, seriously these brake need there own cape.

Turn your average discs into super discs.

Similar Products Used: Stock pads.
Winglo   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2001]
Strength:

Stopping power

Great pads, No burn in time, well worth the safety and money. It will stop on the dime and change too.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT OEM
George   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to install, good reputation, quiet, broke in fast

need to get hot to work well and wore fast. Hopefully the EBC green and gold pads last longer and stop when cold.

The EBC red pads seem to work much better when warmed up. Maybe the EBC green pads are a better choice for me. I prefer the Kool-Stop pads for my kind of riding.

Similar Products Used: Avid pads, kool-stop pads
Dion   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2006]
Strength:

Intial Good Modulation and Braking Power.. Until the Pad destroyed itself in less than 6 hours riding

Pad Quality

Decent performance for the for about an hour of riding before the one of the pads destroyed itself and left me with virtually no front brake, damager caliper and rotor.

Would not recommend these for either cross country or downhill regardless of how often they are replaced as if the pad destroys itself in the manner it did in my case then there could be serious health implications if it happens when you need to stop in a hurry!

Similar Products Used: Hayes, Alligator
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Oct 01, 2003]
Strength:

Good bite, power, and feel.

Wears super fast.

I was pretty happy with the extra bite, but noticed a lot of black residue on the calipers after rides, and I don't ride that long or hard. Then, after only 200 miles, I heard a nasty scraping sound. One pad was already down to the metal. The OEM pads on the rear have gone over 500 miles, and still have 30% left. I had already ordered some Kool Stop red pads to try, and will keep a close eye on them, but I'm thinking I'll just stay with Shimano pads after this. I can't afford 10 cents/mile for braking.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Kool Stop.