EBC Brakes Gold Brake Pad

EBC Brakes Gold Brake Pad

EBC's new Gold-coded sintered bronze alloy brake pads are available for many high-performance calipers. They have the benefit of huge lifetime, an extremely high friction and good fade resistance. The Gold grade are best used on "open systems" due to their higher heat generation. If your caliper does not have an insulating system to prevent the heat being transferred into the caliper it would be inappropriate to use these pads in downhill use.

[Jun 18, 2013]
Sam
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Outstanding stopping power once they've been bedded in

Loud with a wet rotor

I use these pads on my Cannondale Jekyll 1 with Avid Elixer CR brakes on both front/rear. It took about 8 hard stops from about 15 mph to have them bedded in enough to not make loud screeching noises. After they were bedded in, they have great stopping power. Even wet, the stopping power has been excellent (I'm no lightweight either...me + bike+equipment weigh in around 265 lbs). Huge gain from the stock Elixer pads. The only thing I have found is they are louder than the stock pads when the rotors are wet. Otherwise, great pads. It's very important to make sure you have bedded in the pads though before turning to regular use...I have these pads on my Iron Horse and I didn't properly bed them in and they are LOUD wet or dry.

[Sep 01, 2003]
nigel deutrom

Strength:

Not any

Pads wore through after about 4 rides, squeel like mad compared to the original Hope Mini ones.

Pads crumble at edges and glaze after each two hour ride, requires cleaning an do not stop on the front at all, requires a hefty pull on the lever

Woudl not recommend these at all

[Jul 09, 2007]
Brian-cdn

Strength:

perfect fit, consistent performance, seem to last well.

may not be as grippy as original pads
Squeak, squeak, squeak...

I can't be sure but they may not have as much power as the original B4 pads, but, these were cheaper and in stock.

Wear seems fine, still working in their second season.

The squeak happens when I'm riding along not using the brakes, which is a bit annoying but not a huge issue.

Formula, Hayes, EBC reds, Koolstop, MEC.

[Mar 14, 2002]
rob

Strength:

A few hours to wear in.
Heap of metal on pad=long life.
Exactly the same (if not better) than Hayes (bite, power, modulation)
A heap cheaper than Hayes

When used with HAyes, there are none. there may be probs with other brake systems, such as closed types.

It is rarely the case that something cheaper is better, but EBC golds are. I'd be using them for as long as I ride.

Original Hayes, Fibrax (total rubbish)

[Nov 11, 2002]
Ian

Strength:

Were available

Don't last. Riding in the winter in the UK, these pads lasted one outing - no joke.....long life? I don't think so.
I have tried many pads, and the only ones that I have found that work well in the mud are the Shimano pads. I heard rave reviews about the EBCs super long life, so tried them. No difference between green and gold in any degree of mud. Both lasted one ride. At almost $20 each pair (!!!!) in the UK, this is an expensive bit of kit!

I am really struggling in the UK to find any pads that will last since the weather has turned sour. These are absolutely no better than the regular pads (and are more expensive). No doubt in the dry, they would last absolutely forever and generate a tonne of heat, but no pads wear out in the summer, even downhill specific pads, as the rotor barely wears out pads.....the grime does. So, have to give these a very dissappointed two thumbs down and frankly, I don't know what other people are going on about their long life....

Shimano sintered, EBC Green, Fibrax

[Jan 01, 2002]
Wayne Wilson

Strength:

Power Power Power, Great feel and long life compared to stock pads.Almost no breakin period.

None so far

The difference in stopping is very noticable. These pads changed these brakes from slightly stronger then my XT v-brakes to very powerfull and smooth. Other people I have talked to in this area ( lots of sand and mud ) say these last about 35% longer on average.Wish I would have known about these when I first set-up bike I would have shelled out the extra money from the start for the power.If you set the brakes up right and use these pads you can't go wrong.

Stock Grimeca pads

[Oct 30, 2006]
Jap

Strength:

Durable, cheap, no noise

The brakes don't bite as hard as BBB pads. But that's also personal taste.

Great buy. They last much longer and have the stopping power required. Work well in mud. If you want a real bite in your braking, buy the BBB pads.

BBB, original Magura Julie pads

[Nov 25, 2003]
Ziggy Stardust

Strength:

Cheap, strong, great durability, good stopping power

The exact pad brake application is not clearly labelled or identified on the packaging. Vague/ambiguous application data and cryptic numerical codes resulted in the bike store sending me the wrong pads.

I ride in a lot of mud and gritty slop. When I had V brakes I'd grind up pads and wheel rims like a flour mill grinds up wheat.

Disc brakes have helped with that problem alot, but I found on my Avid mechs that the stock pads literally melted away in just a few rides. They were $25 to replace and then melted away again...obviously unacceptable.

So since EBC made the Gold pads, which are specifically designed for nasty, muddy conditions I thought I'd give them a shot. Other than EBC's vague and crappy product ID system, which resulted in me getting pads for an earlier version of the Avid mech disc brake, they have been great.

After reading the reviews here, I don't know why the other guys had such problems. Not to undermine other people's opinions but honestly, alot of people do not know how to set up disc brakes properly. And if not set up properly, disc brakes performance will be terrible. This may have been why some of these other reviewers had problems.

As to my experience, I've ridden the heck out of these pads in really crummmy muddy conditions. I have worn them out, but they lasted the equivalent of 5 or 6 sets of stock Avid pads. They haven't squealed (maybe a little squeak here or there occasionally after getting wet), and provide plenty of stopping power (not noticeably less than stock Avids). Plus they were only $15.

Overall a positive experience for me, and I recommend them. However, I am taking away a fecal flambe because of the poorly specified application data on their packaging.

Stock Avid pads for mech disc (which melted away in just a few short rides...and then cost $25 to replace!)

[Jun 01, 2005]
Patrick

Strength:

No bloody squealing.

Cheaper would be nice but that's always true.

My stock Avid pads drove me up the wall. I am a bit of a freak about a tuned and quiet bike and I could not get those things to shut up. I switched to EBC on the recommendation of my LBS and once they got bedded in it was truly a beautiful thing. No loss in stopping power just happier fillings.

Avid stock pads

[Aug 14, 2002]
Vincenzo D'Amato

Strength:

Good braking power,good modulation also.

Wear is a little inconsistent when compared to the original HAYES-the friction material looks sometime like ripped apart at the edges of the pad,which never happened to the HAYES .Very expensive here in Italy.

The EBC gold are good pads which perform very close to the
excellent HAYES ones,maybe i can tell they offer a bit more feeling and slightly less bite,but the issue is it looks like they wear faster and they are more pricey,so i think i'll stick with the HAYES in the future.Other than that,if you manage to find them at a good price, they will be excellent replacement pads, more likely if your brakes don't come fitted with high quality pads like the HAYES.

HAYES stock:very good(power,modulation,consistent wear,very long lasting).