TWP Magura Levers Brake Lever

TWP Magura Levers Ultimate

bruce   racer [Oct 25, 1998]

I just picked up these levers and they are great, they are much lighter than the stock HS22 levers and look a lot better and are more powerful! They also allow you to use XTR pods with optical display, with the stock levers you have to remove the optical display for a proper setup for shifting. These levers are a great upgrade if you have the cash.

Stu   downhiller [Aug 19, 1997]

The TWP levers have two major things going for them, their looks and their weight. The weight savings (over 100 grams) are sweet. They are decidely better looking than the stock levers, and lets face it, looks sell. Just look at any snow boards in the shops. The most popular boards are the ones with the best looking graphics, and not necessarily the best construction or ride.
However there are a few draw-backs to the levers. The worst one is the levers shape. It is comfortable but it does not mate to well with rapid fire pods. I'm runnig XT pods and I have to set the shifters up on a less than ideal angel to avoid the shifter arm hitting the clamp. Also because the lever does not have a dog leg in it, if you run your breaks so that they pull a long way you may end up not being able to shift and brake at the same time. However, this is not a problem for me. I previously ran Sachs Extreme and had no problems with the levers (the shifters where another matter).
The last and strangest problem is that my back brake (Left hand side) lever is constantly suffering from loosening allen bolts. I have to take a tiny allen key with me on every ride to stop them falling out entirely. Not ideal. I am going to put loctite in soon, but I'd rather this not be the case.
To sum up, light, sweet looking, but better with Grip Shift or Sachs. Also they cost quite a bit. But then again, looks sell.....

Kamikazi   cross-country rider [Mar 27, 1997]

The levers are way better than stock, 4OZ lighter and feel great with just two fingers. Real cool people use the TWP stealth brace, the levers make your wheel stays open like a cheap date! Hit a tree with'em, the tree lost, lets see kookas take an impact like that. They return faster than stock and hey the blue aluminum looks killer. Had to put'em up for sale to pay taxes, if you want the set email me.

R. Janes   racer [Jun 14, 1996]

TWP replacement levers for magura brakes. These levers save you about 120 grams from the stock levers. These levers modulate even better than stock due to a coil spring in the cylinder. They are very sano but not just chi-chi. The only potential drawback is bending the lever if you crash hard, but I've crashed them twice and haven't bent them yet. They are easy to install, you can do it in about 20 min. even if your a ham-fist.

DENNIS   racer [Dec 18, 1998]

THE LEVERS WORK REALLY WELL ALL IN ALL. i'VE BEEN RIDING THEM FOR 1 12 YEARS NOW AND THEY HAVE DONE A FAIRLY GOOD JOB. THE ONLY MAJOR PROBLEM I HAD WAS THAT THE BOLTTHREADINGS FOR THE HANDLEBAR CLAMP STRIPPED ONCE, BUT THAT PROBABLY WAS MY FAULT (REAL BAD DAY). I HAVE TO ADMIT THEY LOOK A BIT STRANGE WITH THE STRAIGHT LEVER BUT SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH THEY FEAL GOOOODDD. OH YEAH, THE LITTLE 1mm BOLT INSIDE THE LEVER ( THE ONE FACING THE HANDLEBAR) IS PLACED REALLY BADLY. ALL IN ALL I LIKE THEM, OF COURSE I ONLY PAID 30 BUCKS A PAIR NEW, BUT IF YOU HAVE TO PAY THE FULL PRICE BUY THE ALTEKS. NOW GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND RIDE =) !!!

Craig McLaughlin   cross-country rider [Oct 09, 1996]

Lighter than Magura's but that is about it. I use them with Precision Billet RF+ adapters and because of the straigth lever design (no dogleg) they hit the forward trigger lever on the RF+ shifters if you set them up with too much play. Also because of this you can't get your index finger in to shift while applying the brakes. Lastly the post attaching the cylinder to the bar clamp flexes when applying the brakes hard robbing braking power (I have to run brake boosters on the brake studs with the TWP levers whereas I didn't need them with the stock levers negating most of the weight savings). I bought them because I hated the huge ugly stock lever handle but now you can buy just the RaceLine levers to upgrade the handles which is what I'll probably do. Overall a rating of 2: not terrible but definitely not better than stock, just different (but expensive).

Misha Strumwasser   weekend warrior [Mar 10, 1997]

I have had these brake levers for about 3 months now and they have far better modulation than the stock levers, they are lighter, and look trick. Those are the positives. The only two negatives that I found are that the levers are too long and interfere with the forward rapid fire triggger. Overal a good buy, but probably better with gripshift.