Tekro V-Levers Brake Lever

V-Levers

Tekro V-Levers

Mike Nation   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

Fairly durable so far, but its only been 6 months. Thats about it.

Heavy. For a V-brake, they should stop better than they do...I've seen Walmart bikes with better braking power than these. Scars up your fingers.

These aren't the best brakes to own. After 6 months of riding them on my Jamis, I'm going to have to upgrade. I have scars on my pointer fingers where they scrape the underside of the brake lever. I don't know how this happens, but when I get down on it hard, I look at my aching fingers and they're bleeding. Run from these brakes!!!

Similar Products Used: Avid (although there's no comparison)
Hendrik   Downhiller [Jan 04, 2002]
Strength:

* Good for people with large hands

* Weighs 64,23 tons
* The handle don't bend, only the body
* Snaps very easily
* Not very cheap

When these things came on my bike everyone told me how much they suck. I just thought, hey it's just a lever, right? Boy was I wrong. You can't get a worse design and cheaper quality! They snap and bend very easily. It's good if you have big hands. These are not for you if you ride even a little bit agressively. If you just bought your bike to show off in the streets these are for you.

Similar Products Used: Avid 1.9, 2.0 (WAY better!!)
Doug   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2006]
Strength:

They are a cheap alternative to those of us that crash alot I have gone through two sets and I don;t worry when i crash and break em they are cheap to replace

the bend relatively easy and tend to bind every once in awhile

They are a good idea for the beginning mountain biker that will be wrecking alot or for those people that are on a budget and need a pair they can take and beat the crap out of with out takin a big hit on them

Similar Products Used: Shimano lx levers
James   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2000]
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy to adjust and modulate. strong. comfortable levers

a little up and down play in levers

I was borrowing my friends gt aggressor until I got this bike, after using the alivios on the GT, these tektros are great. I almost did an endo the first time i used them. The levers even fit my large hands. lots of leverage. great product. good choice schwinn. Good for everyone accept maybe pros and die-hards. Of course they probably use discs anyway.

Similar Products Used: shimano alivio
Ozzierider   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Better then Shimano LX if used with Gripshift.
Inexpensive and durable

A longer lever with more through for more leverage

Most reviews so far are from kids that only will have what their friends have (pier pressure!) and will badmouth cheaper products without even trying the stuff. This levers have worked better then the other linear pull style brakes I have on my other bikes (two other ones). They sure are cheaper then the other ones and have lasted better then the other ones. For the money it is a great brake, but if you have money to burn and are a weekend punter anyway, go and buy XTR or whatever TV tells to buy...

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
Dia Compe
Avid SD 3.0
Chucko   weekend warrior [Jul 23, 1997]

These levers came on my new Gary Fisher Big Sur. While they're functional and don't show any obvious problems, the slop in the pivots feels cheap and doesn't inspire confidence. They're the second thing to go after I replace the GripShifts.-- Chuck

Rob   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2000]
Strength:

Stengths? Thats a good one

Everything

I picked up a HardRock for the wife and these lame assed levers and brakes were stock The wife is no Palmer but even for her these things are crap. Will someone tell me why the big guys (specialized, Trek, etc) spec crap in the brakes dept? I mean I need to F**king stop sheez!!!! She used em one day literally threw em out the window, upgraded my levers and gave her my Avid 1.0 's They kick ass.

John Phillippe   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 02, 1999]
Strength:

work with both v-brakes and canti's

sloppy and a bitch to setup.

These were good when I first got them, but after switching them to v-brake use, I lost the washers and spacers while the brake was dissassembled. So first off, there are just too many parts in the pivot. Secondly, when I took the parts out of the other lever to look for replacements at the local hardware store, nothing came close to fitting or working out riight. So now I'm stuck with two leverls sloppy as hell because I only have 1 spacer instead of 2 in each lever. It was a good price, but the engineering could have been better.