SRAM Brake Levers Brake Lever

SRAM Brake Levers Brake Lever

SRAM Brake Levers

[Sep 10, 2000]
smokey strodtman

Strength:

adjustable leverage and reach, light weight, feel.

none so far.

i have the 7.0 lever, which has the internal leverage adjuster pin instead of the external one on the 9.0s. the 7.0s are also simpler and slightly lighter. i really doubt that most riders will be changing the leverage adjustment, once they find their preferred setting. the levers come set with minimum leverage. be sure and try them before changing to a stronger setting. i put mine on max immediately; a couple of unwanted nose wheelies soon had me going back to stock! i've heard some criticism of their plastic "feel", but it hasn't bothered me at all. i like the shape of them very much, perfect for one-finger braking(and that's all you'll need!).. feel and modulation are excellent as well. the real test of any braking component is on the trail; when you find yourself diving deeper into downhill corners and braking harder on slopes and loose surfaces, you'll know you have a winner. good job, SRAM!

stock generic g/f levers on my marlin.

[Jan 09, 2000]
jefftallica
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

LIGHT
comfy
cool lookin'
easy setup
powerful
CHEAP

tiny 3mm clamp bolts
bad instructions

so good, so smooth, so powerful, so easy to modulate. they actually make my sheisse dia compe v-brakes feel responsive. they have very little slop, which is a good thing because they don't have a slop adjust bolt (the pivot is held in place by a c-clip). the levers have a very clever cam system with no moving parts. the only part that pivots is the lever, which leads to a very smooth stroke, helped no doubt by the delrin bushing. the blade is very wide and comfortable, and interfaces well with gripshift (duh). my only complaints are the instruction manual, which is crap, and the clamp bolts, which have to be tightened way down to get them to hold. i have the 2000 model 7.0s, which look to me like last year's 9.0s (they have three position leverage adjust, vs. last year's two). the best 25 dollar bike product i ever bought.

dia compe crappers
shimano XT
Tektro
avid dial adjust

[Apr 24, 2001]
Matt Frederick

Strength:

Light,cheap, won't rust or corode

Flexes badly but shatters rather than bend in a crash, leaving a jagged edge.

I always found the brakes flexed under pressure. Last year I went over the bars in a slow speed stack and caught the lever on the way over. It snapped, leaving a sharp edge which tore through two layers of shorts and left a lrge deep hole in my thigh, ripping out the side branches to the femoral artery. The surgeons then had to open my leg up further to find the missing bit 'cos being composite it didn't show up on any X-rays! I was off the bike for about 4-5 months. You can't make a lever that is indestructable but it should bend before shattering, buy a metal lever instead, some, like Hope levers are designed to pop out of the pivot in the case of a crash to avoid this kind of accident.

Avid SD 1.9

[Apr 24, 2001]
David

Strength:

Light, feel strong, no slop, cool looking, feel nice

none yet

Well, I just installed the new 7.0's, and have only ridden them once, a follow up review will happen in september, but they are a huge increase over the old avids that came with the bike.. (could be b/c the avids wern't designed for V-Brakes) but anyhow.. they are strong, quite, cool looking, and cheap compared to everything else that is comparible. Remember this is just the initial review.

Tektro Stuff
Avid 2.0 S.D's

[Mar 30, 2001]
Rob

Strength:

Light, adjustable, not too expensive

Kinda funky looking, not real cheap, can't replace blade.

This is for the '99 and '00 9.0 levers. I had a set of the 99's, which look like the current 7.0's. Snapped a blade in a biff (that's ok) & got a set of '00 to replace them. Outstanding levers. Adjustable, light, functional. Wish I could get replacement blades.

Avid 1.0

[Mar 06, 2001]
Derek

Strength:

They work
Light
Look good

These are the original 9.0's. Which are the same as the new 7.0's. They're pretty cheap. I got them for $30, and the 7.0's you can get for $25 from Cambria. (Just got some for my girlfriends bike.) Super light, and they work. They feel great, and are plenty stiff. Not as easy to set up as the Avid's - with the removable chips and all - and the cable routing is kind of wierd. But the fact is, once they're set up they just plain feel better. And they look cool to boot.

Avid

[Mar 06, 2001]
Smillee McIver

Strength:

They had nice modulation to them, but other than that? From what I've read, they are cheap and take a fair beating.

While the flex they had is probably not to bad when coupled with brakes other thatn the 7.0, the combo together makes for an uncomfortable ride when bombing down a hill. They seemed to have an unusual amount of vertical flex, and the 7.0 brakes are pieces, they had minimal flex, and very limited power.

While 7.0 levers may be Ok for light XC riding, they really didn't fit the bill for a freeride bike. They, combined with 7.0 brakes, made for a bike with loose controls and unpredictable stopping power. I'm not a irongrip person, but I do like to feel results when I pull the lever. Overall rating is 2 because of performance, and value is 4 because of price.

Lots of diffferent stuff, I have 1.9 Avids on my 99 Manomano. They are fairly good, but starting to get a little sloppy.

[Nov 23, 2000]
Gavin

Strength:

light weight, they laugh at abuse, little ching req'd for purchase

bulky lever perches, overly thick lever (neccessary to combat flexiness I guess), a bit cheesy looking i.m.op

I have the 7.0's. I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with these levers. I'm thinking about replacing them with either my old xtr's or kooka racha's because I don't like the shape of the lever. If I adjust the things close enough to the bar for my short fingers to be happy they bottom out unless I set the pads against the rims.
They don't rust or corrode (except the little adjustment screws.) They haven't slipped around on my bars at all. They don't seem to reqire ANY maintenance or lubrication. They have developed a little slop, but what wouldn't after two years of steady use? I bought them 'cause I had about $40 bucks to spend on levers after building up my bike. I bought these and had enough left over for a 12 of PBR! ps- I use them with xtr v-brakes.

avid sd 2.0, xtr v-levers

[Oct 17, 2000]
daren

Strength:

weight,modulation, stopping power, longer levers for gripshift users, don't feel icy cold in cool weather

a little flex butt not enough to make switch

I've tried alot of levers and actually opted to switch back to the 9.0sl's over a pair of 2000 ultimate levers. I have Avid Arch Supreme brakes and get great modulation and power with the 9.0sl's. Part of this might be cause I like to have my levers pretty close to the bars before they engage with the rims.

Avid 2.0, 2000 Avid Ultimates, XTR's

[Aug 31, 2000]
mike

Strength:

Really light, really cheap, and will never ever rust.

they are made very cheaply( ihave esp 5.0 brake levers and they are really bad) and the brake lever itself flexes when i pull the brake lever. And also the esp 5.0 brake system is bad too. It never stops me in time and i'm light (130lbs).

If you want extremely light brake levers that won't rust or cost you some cash these are definitely good. But if you expect anything above that kind of performance then don't get'em.

Final word: Save up 40$ and get better levers.

Tektro quartz ( O.K.)