Shimano LX M600 V-Levers Brake Lever

Shimano LX M600 V-Levers Brake Lever

Shimano LX M600 V-Levers

[Mar 10, 2004]
Justin

Strength:

They do thier job and look kind of cool

They wore out after only one season

They worked great for about half a season before I began to notice play in the vertical plane of motion. Seemed like bushing wear. I take immaculate care of my bike, and these levers have had no impact in any crash. Just felt like garbage afer one full season. Too much play in the lever. I also noticed the same thing from the lx brakes. However, these levers fit great with rapidfire. I have since switched to cane creek levers (same price) w/ avid brakes and will try my best to steer clear of shimano LX parts.

avid, cane creek, lots of shimano stuff, the cheap levers you get from the bike shop when you ask for "cheap levers"

[May 19, 1998]
JamesX
cross-country rider

I've had these levers for a good year now. They are durable. They are extremely adjustable. They are very short...intended to be a one or two finger lever...but this is a plus for me. If you have grip type shifters and short fingers stay away. I love'em. I put Lizard Skins grips on them and they are wonderful! I recommend these to someone with long fingers and wants bang for the buck!

[Oct 26, 1997]
dan baverstock
cross-country rider

Bring fairly new to mtb & accociated products I am hopefully going to review these brakes levers objectively after I test them out. After reading most of the above postings, mostly negative re the length & durability not to mention the incompatibility with grip shift, I am quite pessimistic but let's wait & see. I have just recently bought the m600 lever/v-brake pack for my alloy bike which has a cheap set of gripshift on it & yes the levers definitely aren't supposed to be compatible. Perhaps the bike shop from which I perchased them from could have mentioned this in the beginning. However, since I was planning on getting some rapid fire shifters in the next few weeks or so, (I hate gripshift after riding with them for 5 months), it really isn't a long term problem.
What rapid fire shifters would anyone out there recommend? I have rated the levers on the look & feel from what I have experienced so far. This may well change dramatically either way, depending on the results when used with gripshift compared to rapidfire.On a lasting note it appears to me that the most negative point echoed here is the length & gripshift incompatibility alongside the hand size factor. Do the levers therefore perform much better when combined with shifter other than gripshift with riders who have bigger hands? Also what is the difference in cost between LX & XT levers? Do they have the same incompatibility with gripshift mounts?

[May 01, 2001]
Daniel

Strength:

Good quality and the feeling pulling them is fine.

They handle froze once so i couldn't pull the brake however that would have happend with any brake lever so that's not really its fault.

They are good for almost every condition and affordable.

Tektro V Brake, Shimano XT Brakes, SRAM

[Mar 03, 2000]
Dougal

Strength:

Good feel, adjustability, cable clamp

Do you like your fingers? Mine have nice dents in where they scrape off your skin....

Good feel, light, easy to set up and adjust but they really WRECK your fingers

dia compe

[Sep 26, 1999]
mos
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light
durable
nice color combo

not much room b/n fingers and levers
back side of lever left open

these levers work great and are inexpensive. what too better things are there. crashed and moved levers a quarter around the bars and still held together fine. they do what they are supposed to do and do them very well. what else can you expect from break levers.

old dia-comp motorcylce style levers

[Sep 02, 1999]
Mr. K2
Cross-Country Rider

Let's face it, when it comes to levers (as long as they don't fall apart), it all boils down to a matter of personal preference. Some people complain about them being too short, so buy longer levers. Personally, I like them better than any levers I've ever tried. Plus I've heard they work great for cable actuated disc brakes, something I've wanted to try. People with smaller hands should give these a shot because the reach adjuster goes pretty far back.

LX, XT, XTR, Avid 1.0, hayes

[Aug 16, 1999]
Jay

Typical Shimano garbage
tons of play up and down

I think I stripped every bolt on these goofy things.
They also move up and down too much to make me happy.

Dia Comp

[Jun 28, 1999]
Chris Foley

Strength:

Very good stopping power. Also very light.

levers are very small.

Great Brakes.

avid

[Apr 25, 1999]
Steve
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

They work

Ugly & not comfortable

They came stock on my bike and I didnt like them from the start. I recently ordered some Avid 1.0's from speedgoat, and life is good. The 1.0's are the Avid equivalent to the LX's and are far superior in form & function.

Xt,Xtr,Tektro