Paul Components Love Levers Brake Lever

Paul Components Love Levers Brake Lever

The Paul Love Levers are made in USA from billet 6061-T6 aluminum, The Love lever uses the traditional pivoting handle to pull the brake cable. The clamp piece is cut from a single piece of aluminum with a 3" length, a 1" height and just over a 1/2" width. The clamp itself is cut leaving a 1.5mm thick wall to surround the handlebar. The handle section is nicely machined leaving smooth edges and lines. Unlike the mass produced lever sets, the Love Levers don't have a return spring so the springs in the brake arms will have to close the lever. The area for finger grip is 65mm long and intended for three fingers.

[Jan 24, 2010]
futska

Strength:

strength, simplicity, stylish, construction

I received these in '95 as a gift from my dad. They are indestructible. I have gone down numerous times and barely scratched these levers, let alone diminish their function. The only reason I changed levers was because I had canti levers being used with a short-to-long pull adapters. They feel great! Paul still sells these and parts for them, relatively unchanged from the design I bought 15 years ago. I'll probably own a new set of the compact levers soon.

avid, ritchey logic

[Dec 26, 2009]
steadite

Strength:

Beautiful CNC construction, smooth operation, tight clearances (no slop).

$$$

I use these levers with my BB7 disks. They are amazingly smooth and really transformed the brakes in terms of feel and power. I no longer even wish for hydraulics...

I think the people talking about return springs are off base...you don't want the lever pushing the cable back, you want the brakes pulling the cable back (it's like pushing on a rope). If you think you need a return spring, then you need to clean your brakes, or install new cables IMO.

[Nov 05, 2008]
TurboWookiee

Strength:

lightweight, bike art, sexy, quality,craftsmenship

soft aluminum, very ease to break if ur a abusive rider,

i recieved my love lever as a 18th bday gift from my dad, i love them i've had them for over 10yrs now and they still rock as much as the day i got em, too boot there anodized red which are uber rare now. paul makes such a amazing component period. customer service is top notch i just lost a piece to my moto litles and they had me a new brake 4days later. pauls a awesome dude to deal with make top notch american made parts. A+++

avid's shimanos, sram's kooka,

[Aug 04, 2007]
Adam Hunt

Strength:

Light, well made, can be rebuilt. Works best with Paul brakes but works well with others too.

Soft aluminum, can scratch or be easily if over torqued.

I've used Paul's original short pulls with Stop Lites and Cross Tops, and their new long pull Love Lever 2.5s and Love Levers Compacts and I've had good experience with them they may not be for ever one. The Compacts work great for a single speed because you don't need to have the lever reach around a shifter.

One of the things Paul recomends is to help prevent damage to the levers in case of a crash is to have just enough torque to keep the levers in place on the bars but loose enough to move if you really smack them with the palm of your hand.

I'd love to see Paul make a long pull lever for road bikes because the Dia Compe long pull road levers suck.

Shimanos, Avids, Suntours, DiaCompes, just about every lever out there for mechanical brakes.

[Feb 08, 2002]
Clay

Strength:

Lightweight,easy reach,style,smooth operation,+I like em'

Was cost,but I've found em cheaper elsewhere.(If I need more)

They provide better leverage,than you would imagine. This bike is road ridden mostly,and I have the brakes set up tight with little modulation.(When I need brakes I need em' now!)on avid S-D mag v brakes.Yet I feel I have better control over the braking on this bike than my outhers.And I can brake a cable just as easy with these levers as I can with my XTs. Even though these are compact levers,I feel they provide better access with twister's than the avid s-d,or the xt.(Which "I feel" all three are designed for pods) I've had no trouble with them at all.since I put them on july,15,2000 and after 25673 miles.They show very little wear.though I'll probably order anouther pair of bronze pivots,when it comes to mind just to be safe. If you can find them,buy them.XCs-urban assualt.Downhillers might want a duece and a half lever.But nowdaze most of them use disc's
*****Bottom-line***** They're light,They're strong,You can reach em',They work good,They look good. Buy em' They're as close to "perfect" as anything I've tried.*****

Tektro,XT,Avid s-d mag.and assorted junk

[Jan 14, 2002]
Little H Bakker

Strength:

Weight, size.

Adjustment screw contact

My adjustment screw went through the lever. The metal was too thin were the reach adjustment screw hits the lever and left a hole so the brake now gets stuck all the way open. Not sure what Paul will do about it. No crashes involved just light use. WIll repost when I get info back email back from Paul.
Worked great for years!

Avid 1.9, LX, XT

[Apr 29, 2003]
Scott

Strength:

Incredibely strong and very light. Very well made.

Nada, zilch, nothing.

Ive owned these levers for 6 years and ridden probably 7000 miles on these levers from 24 hour races to leisure rides without doing anything to then and I weight 205 lbs. They have a very comfortable feel and good modulation.I can not say enough good things about then.

Shimanos

[Sep 28, 1998]
Kevin
cross-country rider

SWEEEEEEET!!
Thes levers saved my life. I hit a tree at about 30mphon a wicked descent. All my weight and speed conected with this tree right on my lever and it didnt even break!!! lots of smooth pull LOVE.buttery smooth movementand really easy to set up... nice and simple... finish held up better than any other colored parts.

[Jul 15, 1997]
Nick Wilde
weekend warrior

Bought a pair of love levers LP off the net, used. Having ridden them on a couple of reasonable length rides, so far, I'm quite happy with them. The feel is very nice, very solid. They look great, very
hi-end, but minimalist looking. The reach adjustment, a small set screw tucked
in the arm, is handy for those of us with small hands. They appear like
they'll last forever, especially since there are so few moving parts. They work
great with my XTR V's.So, are these things worth over $100? Get real!! At that price, they oughta pedal the bike for you. If you can get a good pair used, like I did, they make a great upgrade. But used you'll probably being paying about what they really should be worth new.Let's face it, these things aren't gonna turn me into Ned or Johnny T or (insert your favorite racer here) overnight. I doubt I could tell the difference in weight blindfolded between my bike before and after. I'm probably
not going to get up hills any faster because they're on my bike (well, maybe
the few grams or so will make a minimal difference, but not enough to be
worth it..)Bottom line: If you got more $$$ than sense, go for it. If you find a good pair
used, go for it. If you work for your money, though, these puppies use up an
awful lot of spare change....5 stars for functionality/looks, 2 stars for price, overall 3.5 stars. Round
up to 4 'cause the name is cool.

[Apr 04, 1996]
Mark A. Jesus
weekend warrior

The Paul's Components Love Levers are a pricey, but very functional brake lever. I own the older short lever model, but the newer longer lever should perform similiar to the older model. They feature a reach adjustment screw for riders with small hands, and custom machined cable adjuster screws. The Love Levers work flawlessly with Grip Shift. The quality of the Love Levers is excellent. Although they are lightweight, they are very durable. They do not flex as other lightweight levers do. They also have a small slot that makes cable replacement a snap. Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the Love Lever, but the price is not for everyone.