Kooka Hydra Lever Brake Lever

Kooka Hydra Lever

life speed   Downhiller [Sep 24, 2001]
Strength:

good feel, strength, modulation

sealing, mechanical design integrity, ease of service

Not a reliable design that will survive over time. Stupid, fragile, custom pivot bolt arrangement for lever. No locking mechanism for adjusters. Piston would not retract fully when lever was released, sticky. Leaked a little.

The feel was great, but the other problems are too annoying.

Steve (Torpedo) Hartsell   cross-country rider [May 17, 1996]

I have used them for about a month. They feel nothing like the Stock Magura Levers. They are 2 finger or 1 finger levers. They have good feel and adjustable reach. On the negative side the bleeding is a pain in the ass. Poor design here, they have a small screw that fits nothing and they way it is designed you can not fit a line over the hole. It would have made since to have the same size of hole as the Magura. But other than that a good lever.

Pelle Hedstrom   cross-country rider [May 21, 1998]

I used the levers at work (being a bike-messenger). They lasted for about 2-3 weeks. Both levers snapped apart in the clamp during some pretty hard braking. I think they suck. If you want a lighter bike, try to save the weight anywhere but the brakes. Currently i´m using my Magura stock-levers and they work perfectly well after 3 years of use, 120 km each workday.

Matt Wild   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2000]
Strength:

The color kicks, I love the way they feel, amazing lever strenght for wieght ratio.

None yet

This product rules

Similar Products Used: xt and lx levers
Michael   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 08, 1999]
Strength:

light weight
looks great
1-2 finger brake-lever

Due to its wheigt this part is no hardcore brake lever. Everyone who buys it should be aware of that. But for XC it works excellent.

I've been riding those Kooka'a for almost 2 years now, without big trouble. One Lever (from an older series) showed a little leaking at the beginning but after setting it up once again it finally stopped. The other one is from a newer series and is stiffer than the other and there was no leaking at all.

Kim   cross-country rider [Feb 28, 1999]

I've had the Kooka Hydrolevers for a few years now and they have delivered flawless performance. My bike gets ridden pretty hard and has suffered some pretty intense crashes. I did manage to brake one during a crash (the handlebars spun around and the lever hit the top tube)I thought surely I fractured my pelvis it hurt so bad, but I took my bike to the shop I bought it from, they sent the lever back to be rebuilt, and two weeks later it was back, good as new. Considering the intensity of the crash, I was happy, and impressed with the design of the levers, which allowed for them to be rebuilt at no charge. They have not leaked ever, have provided flawless service, and are quite adjustable( since I have smaller hands, I can bring the lever a little closer to the bar for easy one finger modulation). I'm afraid I cannot agree with any of the negative things posted here about them or their Customer Service, and they look kick ass.

Kevin   racer [Aug 31, 1998]

My friend's dad had these. Loved them. Then he was on a ride and the pivot flew out. He endoed. Broke his wrist. Stuck a twig in and finished the ride (applause). Then didn't ride for six months. Beware. They're real light, and look cool, but you might not look so cool with a cast on.

Clarke Clingenpeel   racer [Jun 03, 1998]

I bought these trying to lighten up the brakes, however, the stopping power was terrible. They were mushy & the seals leaked. They were lighter, but they defeated the whole purpose of hydraluic brakes. I also thought the foam type wrap around the lever arms was cheap looking. I did prefer the smaller levers to the stock magura's, but who cares if they don't stop you. I returned them.

John Pentecost   cross-country rider [Aug 11, 1997]

These things are cool looking and light, but they aren't very well built. The pivot pins strip easily (I've already stripped two which were promptly replaced by Kooka which seems to have excellent customer service) and the actual levers don't fit well onto the part that contains the master cylinder so they rattle around when you're riding over rough terrain (which is pretty damn often). There's no way to tighten the lever down because the pivot pin is only threaded on the top and will therefore not cinch the lever in there if tightened. I'm only a 150lb. rider, and I'm normally extremely light on my bikes (meaning that I rarely if ever break things on them) but I've already broken the front brake lever by simply pulling on it too hard.
I haven't yet had the leaking problems that I've red about in other posts, but only time will tell on that stuff.
I guess the bottom line is that this seems to be a company that is trying hard but not succeeding in making a light replacement lever for Magura.

keith   cross-country rider [May 06, 1997]

They look cool. They feel good.But they leak.I had about ten rides on them when they started leaking,I sent them back a month ago and have not heard a word sence.For the money they should send me new ones. I wish I would have known about mtbr review before I spent the money.