Gripshift ESP 9.0 Brake Lever Brake Lever

ESP 9.0 Brake Lever

Gripshift ESP 9.0 Brake Lever

Carlos Gonzalez   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

Light very light

none so far

You can barely tell if you're using the levers yet they fill strong

Similar Products Used: Avid 2.0
Mark   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

These are inexpensive, lightweight, and offer one finger braking with V-brakes.

No slotted body for cable replacement. Adjusting with red plastic pieces requires removal of the cable. A bit flexy.

At less than half the price of XTR's, these levers are quite a bargain. One finger wheel lockup is no problem. They feel a little blocky and flex compared to the XTR's, but work similarly. That faux fiber look actually matches my Raven well.
Recommended by a bike shop owning buddy; didn't steer me wrong.

Similar Products Used: Avids with V chip (horrible), XTR
Dave   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

-Light
-Don't get cold
-Very adjustable
-Powerful
-Look great

-Small pie is easy to lose
-Feel cheap at first

These are powerful in standard setting. Remove the pie and prepare to be amazed. If you use ESP or Grip Shift, these are a must-have.

Similar Products Used: STX-RC
Dia-Compe
Wyatt LeCade   [Dec 30, 2000]
Strength:

looks, design, easy setup & adjustable

These brakes work. A slight bit of flex but stopping on a dime is not a problem. These combined with the ONZA H.O.s is a great mix. After numerous crashes and spills (not due to braking) the brakes have never broken or became less effective. Adjusting pull leverage is easy just move or remove the orange tab. Never had a problem with them so I think they're a great buy. But like everything else it's all a matter of preference. If you need a set of levers that are easy to use, work great, and won't break your wallet, these are the ones to buy. If SRAM would reduce the flex in this design I would give it a perfect score. So until then it falls short by one.

woe   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2000]
Strength:

Light, nice feel, quiet, good modulation

Can't buy replacement arms. 2000 model looks kinda funny.

I got a pair of the '99 levers & really liked them. They were a major improvement over the Avid 1.0. I snapped a lever arm in a tumble & came to find you can't buy replacement arms. That sux. Soooo, bit the bullet & bought a pair of 2000's (no one has the 99's anymore). They are noticably superior to the 99s which I already really liked. Did I say quiet? I loooove quiet parts. Value rating of 4 cuz you can't get replacement parts.

Similar Products Used: Avid 1.0
John   Racer [Aug 10, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight and very effective brake modulation

none so far

These break levers in combination with the Avid 2.0s were a very nice improvement for me over the XTR/XTR combo I originally built the bike with. The XTR's just didn't give me the modulation needed to keep from skidding my Wildgripper Sprints on the somewhat loose downhills. Went to the new combo mostly for weight purposes but lucked into a big step up in performance also. Great product with great weight, I would reccomend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used: XTR rapidfire brake/shift combo
Jamie   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 06, 1999]
Strength:

These levers rock .They stop me just fine remember were trying not to skid up the trail.just stop and they can do a good job of that.Nice size handel flex is just a little bit .

none so far dont run them tight enough to break on a crash just turn same a my other levers they break to if to tight .

Good levers nice set with esp9 brake's .
U S A all that needs to be said !

Similar Products Used: stx cants
xt to small levers
Hanuman   Weekend Warrior [Oct 21, 1999]

nice levers, although they aren't super stiff. just personal preference but i really like aluminum levers. anyways, these are really nicely designed. w/XTR v brakes the stopping power is really tight. the key is to remove the 'pie' in the lever... it comes stock in position 1. there's also a position 2 you can place it. remove for max leverage. 5 flaming lava drops for now, we'll see how they hold up to abuse.

J.A.   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 1999]
Strength:

light

the blade will snap off @ the Slightest hit(HARD OR SOFT)

ONE SMALL HIT AND MY LEFT LEVER SNAPPED IN TWO AND I GOT THE SAME RESPONSE FROM SRAM CUSTOMER SUCKVICE THAT THE PERSON A FEW POSTINGS DOWN GOT YOUR ASSED OUT(SO TO SPEAK).ALL I WANTED WAS FOR THEM TO FIX THE PIECE THAT BROKE OFF, NOT TO HEAR GO BUY ANOTHER PAIR .DONT BUY THE HYPE ABOUT SUPER TUFF GRILON ITS JUST THE OPPOSITE.
AFTER HEARING SO MANY GREAT THINGS ABOUT THERE CUST.SERV. I AM NOW VERY PISSED THAT I HAVE TO WASTE MORE MONEY ON NEW LEVERS BECAUSE OF THERE POORLY CONSTRUCTED LEVER AND EVEN WORSE CUST,SERV..