Avid Speed Dial Ti Brake Lever

• Speed Dial Leverage Adjustment
  • Designed to bend the handle, not damage the body

• User Reviews (15)

dudemanbro   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2008]
    Strength:

lightweight, durability, adjustability

must remove grips to slide off of handlebars

Nice levers that can be found for the right price on the web. They are as low maintenance and adjustable as anything else I've come across, and I've been able to bend the levers back to being straight after crashing! They have a very crisp action to them, and look pretty damn slick. No complaints here.

*If you're only getting new levers for your brake setup, look no further. However, if you need both levers and brakes for F/R check out the Speed Dial 7/Single Digit 7 Combo for ~$70 (if you don't mind the added weight).

Similar Products Used: Avid SD 1.9, Shimano LX & XT
    Daniel A   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2007]
    Strength:

Cool Looks, light weight. Adjustment options

Looks whimpy (compared to Shimanos) but looks can deceive it is very strong.

I had a complete ProMax setup (which I believe is a Shimano product) and the biggest downfall where the pads and the levers. After upgrading the pads it made a big difference, but upgrading to the levers made an even bigger differnce. On my maiden voyage i almost toppled over the handle bars. They are also half the weight of my old levers. Many adjustments available. When AVID says single digit they really mean that you can stop the bike in wet or muddy conditions with just One Finger. I heard people always talk about the first think you should upgrade are the calipers, i found out that the pads and levers matter more than the calipers. I now outbreak my frinds bike with expensive disks in wet or dry. I would recommend going with Ti's (which I believe are now replaced by the SL) or the 7's, don't go with the 5's they are junk.

Similar Products Used: ProMax
    Julian   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2006]
    Strength:

FEEL & ACTION! Light. Quality manufacturing & design. Adjustment level.

Watch those clamp bolts! Remember the're titanium screwing into a magnesium alloy! (Should be a cautionary note on in in the instructions - even though they give torque settings).

I'm reviewing the 'Avid Speed Dial 7 SL', which I suppose is the same (or similar) to the 'Avid Speed Dial Ti'(??). The leaver is well manufactured! Brake leaver feels smooth and moves without 'vertical' flexing. The levelage adjustment is excellent and works well - you can really setup the lever how you like it. Instructions are well thought out and actually help! Finally, the leaver feel in your hand & action when riding is fantastic, progressive as you want, movement feels anatomically correct. I'm using the 'SD7 SL' with cheap rim brakes and it really improves the action. The leaver shape reduces specific pressure on the fingers & reduced my hand fatigue. This was the first thing I noticed.

The SL is not much more than the SD7 & is really a worthy buy!

Similar Products Used: Bike Positive (#33102) levers.
    Charlie   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2007]
    Strength:

Adjustability, light weight, look good

None so far

I bent one of the stock SD5 levers so put these on (had bought them a while back, just hadn't got round to fitting them). Instantly i noticed that setup was much better than the SD5, the build quality is miles better, they just feel better all round.

Similar Products Used: Avid SD5
    Perry   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, simple to adjust, looks great. I swithed over to Sram X9 shorty shifters so decided to try these. So far so good.

Not all the hardware is Titanium but is still lighter than its Shimano counterpart.

I used to be a Shimano only biker, but these are just as good if not better. They are lighter, have good feel, and are more bang for the buck!

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore XT and older XTR shifter brake combos
    DtEW   Weekend Warrior [Jan 01, 2002]
    Strength:

High stiffness, low weight, and low price (relative to XTR levers)

Too-short length, "eh" bushing concentricity

Only got a single ride on them, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

The levers work fine. They're stiff and leverage is an absolute pleasure to adjust. The main problem I have with them is their ergonomics when installed on any SRAM Halfpipe-length shifter. Despite having a lever length like other levers, its relationship with the clamp makes them no more than single-finger levers without the phenomenal power and modulation of hydraulic disks (which I can use single-fingered). It makes continuous braking more of a chore than it has to be.

Anther issue that may or may not matter to you is the fact that the plastic bushings on the pivot pin aren't as concentric as they should be, which means that if you rebuild these levers and don't experiment with the "clocking" of the bushings, the lever can scrape against the inside of the lever housing. It can be non-issue if you're a mechanically anal guy like me, but other people out there, take note. My levers arrived scraping from the very beginning, which is what forced me to discover this fact.

Similar Products Used: XT levers, XTR levers, SRAM 9.0 levers (pre and post SRS-era models)
    Joel   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2002]
    Strength:

Lightweight, gotta the adjustable fulcrum point.

The Ti's are a bit pricey, but the lower end ones seem to work just as good.

I won't use any other brake lever than a speed dial. Maybe I'm just anal about my bike setup, but the adjustable fulcrum point allows you to adjust how progressive you want the brakes to engage. An advantage when riding different terrain...dial them back off for the mud, and crank them back up when the traction is better. It also allows you to match the "feel" of the front and rear levers.

Similar Products Used: XT V's, Avid Speed dial, Kooka Racha V's, Magura, Kooka Hydraulics.
    Nate   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2001]
    Strength:

Hopefullly it's strength is it's strength.

Had to buy them.Avid said is was riding the levers at a point beyond there capability.I guess that means wanting to stop and have the lever arm remain atached to the lever body.

I broke two pair of Mag's and lost faith in them so I ordered the Ti from my local shop because I liked the feal of the mag levers but hated the way the broke.avid sent my dealer a set of repacement lever arms for my mags made of aluminium.What do you know, put the ti's beside my old levers with there new arms and they look just the same! I have a hunch that the only Ti parts are the little bolt's and pivot pin.I just hope that they hold up better than the mag's.

Similar Products Used: very bad set of Avid Mag's
    Benjamin   [Dec 22, 2003]
    Strength:

feel
    weight compared to my first brakes (promax and later avid sd 5's)
    tough several endos on pavement and downhill

i didn't really didn't think they'd improve my braking but wow. they're really scratched up now but that's only because i've been pretty rough on em. upgraded both the levers and v's. i've done downhills all over wnc and south carolina and they've always stopped great, even over the snow ride i did last night.