Avid Speed Dial Mag Brake Lever

• Bend Zone
  • Magnesium Handle

• User Reviews (21)

Oscar   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2002]
    Strength:

Good looks, Great feel, Stiff and works great.

These levers bend easy and break.

If your an aggressive rider I don't recommend these levers. I've had to bend the levers back to place more then twice and this past week the lever broke off on a fall. Yes they look and feel good but unless you don't plan on falling get something that can with stand a little more punishment.

Similar Products Used: Avid 1.9 (these don't brake but don't look as sweet)
    Phil Guiver   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2004]
    Strength:

Light
    Adjustable
    Strong
    Powerful
    Looks kool

None so far...

These are the best levers I have tried... yet the only ones besides those crummy stock levers that came on my bike. Adjustability is a good addition to these levers. Buy them now!
    ...And they also look insanely kool!

aleks   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Great value, looks too damn cool. Matches perfectly my bike's red/black scheme.

Bends easily but can be straitnd the other way very easily.

Great functioning levers for the price. Great adjustability. Collects too much dirt with those ports. Still i would get them agian istead of XTR.

Similar Products Used: xtr,xt,lx,1.9's
    E-Train   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2001]
    Strength:

Sweet feel that you come to expect from avid

Might be a little heavy

I've had good luck with these levers so far. I was able to buy them online cheap, so they didn't cost me much. It seems like there is a real problem with these levers braking, but I've been lucky so far. Overall, there a good pair of levers.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
    uglyvern   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2001]
    Strength:

Works well, reach and modulation adjustments.

Overpriced and deceptively marketed.

Avid's speed dial Mags were marketed on the Avid web site as the thing to get "when every gram counts." Well, that's a load of crap. These levers work fine for me, but they cost a lot. For the price, you are supposed to get a lightweight component. The pair of levers specs at 142g, but when you put them on a gram balance, you find out they actually weigh 174.3g -- that's the spec weight for the much cheaper Speed Dial 7's. Avid doesn't sell the Mag series anymore, now they have the Ti series, which looks the same as the Mag stuff, and supposedly specs to a similarly light weight. They're probably lying about those, too.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STX, XT levers.
    næstep   Downhiller [Apr 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Avid Customer Service
    Speed Dial modulation adjustment
    Nice Feel

Heavier than advertised
    Some slop in pivot (problem solved?)

After breaking a Shimano lever in a low-speed endo and going through the frusteration of trying to get a replacement part, I gave up. I turned to Avid for their reputation of strong customer support and replacement parts availability. I wasn't disappointed.

I settled on the Mags more for the asthetics than anything else. Every indication in the mtbr brake forum and here in the reviews shows they are heavier than advertised, so if you're watching weight, don't be surprised. From that standpoint, they are a little overpriced.

The Speed Dial feature is a very useful adjustment to have literally at your fingertips. This allows me to find the right balance of power and modulation with my disc up front and my Arch Rivals in the rear. The Shimano levers I used previously had only 3 settings, and involved removing the brake cable and tweezing out little plastic blocks — not very practical on the trail.

One of my levers was missing a small Ny-lock nut in the Speed Dial adjuster. I wrote to Avid asking for an extra nut, but instead recieved 2 brand new levers in the mail no more than 3 days later.

The new levers solved another "problem" I didn't know I had: the original levers had a little slop in the pivots, the new ones did not. The slop was only noticable when the levers were free. Once I connected the brake cable, there was no slop apparant and no difference in feel between the new and old levers.

Avid's customer service shouldn't be overlooked. It impresseed me enough that I eventually purchased their mechanical disc brake, and just recently their Arch Rival side-pull brakes. They've since sent me new-compound pads for the discs, and a tighter noodle for the AR50s, free of charge. I don't think I'd see this level of customer support from Shimano or SRAM. That definitely adds to the value of their product.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT
    Dia Comp
    Kelly Paasch   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2001]
    Strength:

light, cool looking

weaker than anything I've ever seen, bad costumer service

Got the levers on my new 2001 rockett stage 1. Out of the box the right lever was straight but had hos stretch marks. I didn't think to big of a deal of it. I went on two off road rides and like five street rides and after one crash on the stairs the left lever just broke off. And the right lever bent, not because it hit something but because of the pressure from my hand on it. For the record, I also have never broke a lever before. So I called avid about a warrenty and the guy was nice and said he would send me a new set if I sent the old ones back (I work at a shop) and so now its been over three weeks and NOTHING has arrived from avid. I am very disapointed with there customer service also and will never get a speed dial mag lever set again, because they are so increadibly weak. Not only did the levers suck but the customer service either flat out lied or is to unorganized to do their job.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, LX, AVID 20, Avid 10, REAL
    Malcolm Marrs   Downhiller [Nov 12, 2000]
    Strength:

Amazing performance
    Adjustable!
    Great feel!

Um............ still thinking........

BUY THESE NOW. Great colour and looks too!

Similar Products Used: Maguras
    Tom   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2000]
    Strength:

Strong braking, Good modulation, Good feel, Super adjustable, Light weight

Bend way too easy

I've been using Avid brakes for almost 3 years and have always been impressed with their braking systems and these are no exception. They work great but bend way too easy. I had a pretty soft crash and bent both levers pretty good. And for the record I have never bent a lever in 4 years of mountain biking. I heard that Avid has a great crash replacement policy so no big deal right? Wrong! One phone call and two emails later they have not even responded to me. Their website promises they will answer all emails. They obviously don't(It's been over 3 weeks). When I called I was told that their customer service rep was at lunch and was promised that if I left a message on his voice mail he would get back to me as soon as possible. I've been waiting 2 weeks on that one. I will try calling one more time and if this isn't taken care of I will never buy another Avid product again. Overall I can't reccommend these levers. 5 chillies for performance minus 2 for bending too easy, minus 3 for piss poor customer service. I'd give them a zero if I could.