Avid Speed Dial 3.0 Brake Lever

Speed Dial 3.0

Avid SD 3.0

Ozzierider   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Long lever that works fine with Gripshift

Weak return spring ( mine broke)
Pivot point to small and weak, develops a lot of play pretty easily

I got mine for $26.00 from Universalcycle, so I can not complain about the price. The brake has got plenty of power (leverage) but is not very durable or strong. I guess Avid makes better levers then this one...

Similar Products Used: Dia Compe
Tektro
Shimano LX
eric   Racer [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

light,adjustable pivot, visible speed dial position, LOTS of cable pull, long for grip shift, nice finish, resistant to scratching

a little slop is made worse by it's long length

i like them. i wouldn't use with rapid fire because they are pretty long. i would reccomend these levers to anyone who needs levers. i think that is everyone. including you.

5 burning rectums all around

Similar Products Used: XT, Tektro, Dia-Compe, magura
Karthik   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 1999]
Strength:

great feel to the actions, nice looking

None yet, but i suspect the pivot is kinda small and too far recessed. The spring looks suspiciously thin too..

These levers are WAY better than what i got with the bike. I got them for 29 too.. so thats a great deal. I like the length of the lever.. its a lot easier on the fingers when you constantly need to brake on downhills and stuff. They feel solid and well made (except for the pivots and springs). I took them on a trail today and they performed amazingly. I'm very happy with them. If you think LX/XT levers etc are too short.... these ones are for you!

Similar Products Used: OEM levers on a Specialixed Hardrock.
TravIs Kelley   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 02, 1999]

I like my XTs better. These are too long and have too much up and down slop. Feel good though, very powerful and precise. Stops me quickly and easily.

Similar Products Used: XT brake/shifter combo
Ricksom   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 25, 1999]
Strength:

Strong
Well machined
Smooth pivoting
Comfortable levers
Great with Grip Shift

Too much lateral movement at the lever pivot pointLever may be too long for some

The levers are well build with quality parts and precise fit
except the lever pivot has way too much lateral slop. I cannot figure this out because the pivot has well designed bushings (brass)with a quality bolt attachment that allows you to clean and relube the pivot.The levers are longer than average and feel solid and comfortable in your fingers, whether you use 1 or 4 fingers. I find that going down a gnarly decent, you can always get to your brakes with a solid grip.The lever was only available for about a year or 2 before being discontinued. Parts are a problem.I would rate 5, but the lateral slop is inexusable, and parts is an issue.

Similar Products Used: Low end Shimano
Piers Newland   Cross-Country Rider [May 19, 1999]
Strength:

It has a comfortable lever and a good reach for use with twist shifters. It is finished in an attractive silver and grey paint.

The whole assembly is quite flexible and the lever quickly developed play at the bushing. Worst and, considering the price, totally unacceptable is the way the cable adjusters have both pulled into the lever's body and cross-threaded. This was despite the lock rings being fitted. Infact, both lockrings have been damaged due to the movement of the adjusters. Was it my fault? No, I've kept at least 5 turns of the abjuster thread in the lever's body at all times and I've not over tightened anything. I have heard of a SD2.0 failing in this way too.

I'm glad I got the levers in a sale not for £70. I'm getting some XTR levers now and I'll not buy Avid again- it's not worth the risk.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT V levers. Shimano LX V levers. Shimano XTcanti levers. Magura HS33. Paul Love levers. Shimano 105 road levers. (I've a lot of bikes!).
adam   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2007]

begins to rattle

i have large hands, and i love the length of these levers. they hav a reassuring feel in your hands, and despite being used for years, they keep going