Avid Speed Dial 1.9 Brake Lever

Speed Dial 1.9

Avid 1.9 speed dial

joE ??   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

lever feel
speed dial thing is the mutts genitalia
unstoppable when paired up with any avid brake, especially the arch rival

scratches a little easily, but thats nowt bad

though they stopped making these llevers, they live on as the SD5 ( or is it 7?), but they still kick ass big time compared to current shimano levers.

Similar Products Used: stx,lx, tektro rubbish
matt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2001]
Strength:

reliable! strong, and reliable. comfortable too.

after prolonged use, such as in trials, they seem to flex some.

i've used these levers since i bought my bike in feb, 99, and they have performed extremely well the entire time! they are very simple, and very strong. i flipped my bars once, and my bike came down on the rear brake lever. the lever bent quite a bit, but i was able to bend it back, and i have had no problems since. they are curved in a way that i don't have to use much energy to stop. i love 'em. defintitely well matched up with my avid 2.0 brakes. definitely a kick ass bang for the buck.

Similar Products Used: avid speed dial 2.0s
Jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

The lever has a feel to it that is unmatched by shimano. The speed dial adjustment is also very nice.

The pivot in my right lever is a bit loose from crashing too much, but it still works great!

These levers are for anyone who uses a cable brake. The only excuse for not buying these is if you have hydralic brakes. My old Deore levers had a curved back that dug into my knuckles when rock hopping. Avid levers give amazing stopping power that makes it so you can enjoy your ride more. If you want better brakes, start with avid levers.

Similar Products Used: Old Shimano, Shimano Deore
Tchil   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 22, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap works great and easy to adjust

None so far

Work great easy to adjust and cheap to boot. no flex and nice lever shape fits my hands well.

Similar Products Used: Tektro's
John Parker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

Good price, awesome feel...great adjustablility helps when installing mech discs.

NADA

Blows the pants off of any other comparable lever out there. Hell ...it beats the pants off of all the overprice shimano crap ive used...coupled w/ avids mech discs its a sweet set-up...if you can find em cheap...like i did for 19 at jenson then go for it...i didnt used to think brake levers were a worthy upgrade, but the feel and adjustability you get w these puppies is amazing....ahh but if only we had more than 5 flamin chilis

Similar Products Used: Tektro levers, xt levers
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2001]
Strength:

great feel and adjustability, light weight, solid construction, speed dial nice feature

none yet

Overall good quality and feel, 2 fold better than XT's, they don't have that squishy feel. One of the best upgrades for the price.

Similar Products Used: LX, XT, Avid 1.0
Andrew Riley   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2000]
Strength:

On the fly adjustment + impressively smooth modulation
Quality build + finish

None really

Using Hope disc at front with Marin V-brakes at back is not really a balanced level of quality between front and rear braking systems. Anyway, I was planning to save for Hope at back too, but saw Avid levers for £5 (usually £25) so I figured, hell I'll buy one for a fiver just to see what its like. And it was a pleasent suprise. I've alsways felt that whilst superior to casntis due to their stopping power, V-brakes have a diabolical lack of feel. However, simply changing my lever to the avid has really made a noticeable difference; I can brake confidently at both front and rear without skidding - something I couldn't do with the marin brake lever. And as I only used the back, I can sell the front on for as much as I paid for the pair - infintely many chillis for value then!

Similar Products Used: Marin V-brakes, Shimano LX.
Eric   Downhiller [Sep 09, 2000]
Strength:

Killer modulation due to the speed dial. Great looks. Solid feel.

I think that these are a million times better than the LX's that I had. They are so much easier to adjust. They feel much more solid and well constructed. This has definitely been the best value/performance upgrade I have made to my bike. Shimano brakes & levers just can't compare.

Similar Products Used: LX levers
michael da kota   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2000]
Strength:

s e x y design (damn spellcheck tells me I use profanity words ...and you click back and voila whole review is gone with the wind - sush...) , robust and can you say demolish-proof.

none. Erh...price?

great stuff...if newer avid brakes only got better since these...go for it.