Avid Spead Dial 5 Brake Lever

• Forged Aluminum Handle
  • Speed Dial Leverage Adjustment
  • Designed to bend the handle, not damage the body

• User Reviews (18)

Alex Tourangeau   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2005]
    Strength:

Great levers for the price, easy adjustement, Speed Dial adjustment

None identified so far

These are the levers that came stock with my bike, and so far, I am very pleased with them. All the adjustments I could really want, excellent feel through the levers themselves. My only gripe is that, for the life of me, I can't get both levers to "feel" similar... My thoughts are that the extra cable housing for the rear brake causes some drag, which leads my rear lever to feel a little tight. Not a real problem per say, and I believe that I should swap out the rear brake cable before judging, so that remains to be seen.

Bottom line, if you are shopping for new levers, don't want to break the bank and want good bang for yor buck, then try these; you won't regret the purchase.

James   Weekend Warrior [Mar 07, 2002]
    Strength:

They work, and work well.

weight, maybe, but it's a commuter bike, and I'm not exactly a lightweight either.

I bought the SD7 brakes for the front because the cheap shimano stuff I yanked off of my trek to build this commuter bike was nasty. Noisier than a poodle undergoing testicular torture, sloppier than an old woman, and weaker than an anorexic newborn. I bought these levers to go with the new brakes. Not that the Deore levers weren't functional, they were, I just figured I'd try something new. I'm glad I did.

I don't mind having weaker rear brakes on the commuter, since there's enough power in these brakes that most of the weight comes off of the rear wheel anyway, and it starts to lock up. (front brakes do 70% of the work on a bicycle, so better to have the stronger brakes on the front)

These levers (and brakes) are better than the XT junk I have on my trail bike. Look on ebay for a full XT brake set with carbon boosters soon: I'm hooked on avid. With just the SD7 front brakes, and these levers, I now have more braking power than front and rear XT brakes on ceramic rims. Thesed levers are much much easier to adjust than the XTs (OR the LX levers, for that matter) and they feel more solid.

5 and 5 for being much better, for much cheaper, than XT

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Promax, Deore.
    chan chan   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2002]
    Strength:

ajustablity
    good modulation
    look cool

quite heavy
    could look cooler

if it is cheap buy it
    good buy
    if you can buy the higer end model

Similar Products Used: other lousy ones
    Dave   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2003]
    Strength:

Looks great, nice feel, speed dial adjuster

NOne so far

the avids feel and work great! ive only had them for a short while but compared to the XT's they offer easier adjustment (no fiddly little bits to move around) and they totally kick the DX/LX levers. the avids work great on mechanical disc brakes! couldnt ask for more!

Similar Products Used: Shimano DX, SHimano XT, and Magura
    Ben P   Racer [Oct 30, 2002]
    Strength:

Speed Dial adjustment rivals shimano servo adjustments. Good money saver, "performance" at a discount.

Durability, bushings went mushy and crunchy in one season. Not very sexy, heavy.

These levers were just begging to be replaced. They're not bad as stock on a bike around a grand, but they're nothing special. They also weigh a lot, and the pivots haven't been smooth since their first season. I opted for the upgrade to the Ultimate for their superior adjustability, SEALED bearing pivots, and sic weight savings.

Bottom line is that the SD5 levers are great budjet grabbers, but anyone serious should be looking to upgrade when the price is right.

Similar Products Used: SD7, XTR, XT, LX, and now SD Ultimate
    Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2002]
    Strength:

Strong, powerfull, light, looks good, easy adjustablity(I think its a word.)

thats a lie and you know it.

buy these if you want a light, strond, powerfull, easy to adjust, and good looking levers.Don't buy if your stupied.

Similar Products Used: other avid brake levers
    Brian   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2006]
    Strength:

Nice adjustability
    PROPER HEAT TREATING!

??

I know this is sooooo late, but I think it is worth mentioning that, like others, my left lever got smashed in a crash to where I could hardly reach it. After I got home I figured I'd try to bend it back and hope it didn't break off. It came out perfect! - no crack. I don't believe all the component mfr.'s always consider that (or they don't watch it closely enough) - but hardening and tempering of these light metals is very important! Good job Avid!
    Also, they work very nicely with the Avid discs.

Similar Products Used: Avid 1.0, Deore
    Dave D   Downhiller [Nov 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Nice, strong look. Excellent adjustment with the Speed Dial. Reach adjustment is really nice as well.

They are not easy to set up and it takes a while too. But when they are setup correctly, they are too good for words.

These levers are well worth the money paid for them. They are great with V-brakes, but incredible with mech discs. They're great for XC and freeride use. I would suggest these levers to whom ever can appreciate quality and not care about price.