Yeti Cycles AS-R Carbon XC Full Suspension

Yeti Cycles AS-R Carbon XC Full Suspension

The AS-R Carbon has racked up more awards than any bike in Yeti?s line. It was recently chosen Outside Magazine?s ?Gear of the Year?. It was a finalist in Bicyclings ?Editors Choice? this year and won the award outright in 2008. Why all the excitement? Part of the reason is the bike is really light, fast and super-efficient. The carbon monocoque frame and suspension have been optimized for cross-country racing and the integrated seat mast saves weight and transfers pedaling forces more efficiently than traditional seat posts. You can really feel the efficiency when you get on the gas. But that?s just the beginning; this bike is a great descender. Yeti slackened the head tube a bit to give it amazing trail manners, even on high-speed technical descents. Some in the industry scoffed for upsetting the geometry of a cross-country bike?then it started winning awards and many followed suit. The details on this bike are worth noting as well: it has titanium fasteners, a carbon dog bone linkage, integrated composite press-in bearings and a new carbon fiber swing arm that increases the rear end stiffness and makes this bike track straight and true, even on the gnarliest descents. Features: -3.89" travel -High modulus, hand laid-up carbon fiber main frame -New carbon swing arm adds stiffness without weight increase -New integrated seat-clamp allows 2? (50mm) of height adjustment -Press-in bottom bracket cups -Internal cable routing on swing arm -Titanium hardware -Carbon dog bone link -Custom sealed bearings -10mm QR 135mm or 12mm 142mm rear

[Dec 24, 2012]
MOO

Strength:

Geometry, Stiffness, Simple suspension design, Low maintenance, Speed up and down, Looks. It's a YETI!!

None.

I have had this bike for over a year now, 2012 model. I use it in XCM races, Short XC races and multiday rides. The handling is superb!! The tracking front and rear haven't let me down. The rear end stiffness is amazing; the acceleration feels like a road bike even when out of the saddle. The suspension works when its meant to and keeps the rear wheel on the ground as well as taking some of the harshness out of the rough tracks over here. This bike is a race bike and does just that!. That doesnt mean you cant ride it to work :-)

Other Yetis, tried lots.

[Jun 09, 2012]
Drew Dog
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Weight and Climbs like a billy goat!

None!

This bike is perfect for the person who wants an all in one bike. I like to ride, ride up, ride down ride any where in Colorado front range (where the bike was conceived and honed) which this bike does but I also jump in a few long races and that is where the bike excels.
Got the 2012 AS-R Carbon and love it. Very responsive. Blazes down hill. The Carbon is very stiff. 2012 has a regular seat post allowing for a dropper seat which is very nice.

[Jan 25, 2012]
itsgettingbetter

Strength:

weight, weight, weight. This bike inspires confidence in twisting terrain and climbs like a scared cat. It looks freaking awesome.

I would have said the seatpost adjustment and sizing but since Yeti got rid of it...Hooray for us! Clearance could be a shade better.

I love this bike. It is the best bike I have ever owned or rode. I have destroyed every personal best on every trail I have ridden. If you want to improve your average speed this is the bike to do it with. I leave the guys I ride with in my dust.

I'm looking forward to racing this bike. This bike is incredibly stiff and handles like a champ. I recommend going with a little bit less pressure in the shocks to eliminate some of the kick back especially if you are used to a heavier aluminum bike like I was. This bike is worth every penny and was a bargain compared to some of its counterparts.

Ibis, Giant Carbon Trance, Specialized S-works, KHS Team

[Sep 16, 2011]
onefjef

Strength:

Love how it climbs and love how it handles on down hills.

I almost got the Blur XC, but didn't like how it handled going down hill. Then I almost got the TR, but the geometry was too high for climbing. The ASR 5C is a good blend between the two Santa Cruzes. Plus, the bike looks great!

Santa Cruz Blur XC & TR

[Apr 27, 2011]
my450

Strength:

Outstanding as a climber. Was faster and stickier uphill on my favorite steep and technical climb than my Scott Scale. I let it stall out climbing then stood and pushed with no issue.The only bike I've ridden on this trail that would allow me to do this. Descends well

Double XX shifting rubs the inside of my thumbs. Make sure you measure FOUR times to get the right seat height! The seat clamp/mast was darn heavy(had mine machined out)

Feels as stable as my Mojo which I love and is quicker than my Scale. I'm noticing a lot of rear suspension movement on small, fast bumps. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the season. I'm 154 lbs and an ex-moto guy that also rides trials motorcycles now. Very highly recommended. Seems to work well at both climbing and fast roller stuff which is normally not possible.The jury is still out on the XX shifting for me in regards to thumbs vs brake lever and chainline in the lowest gear. I'll update as the snow melts!

Ibis Mojo SL-XTR, Scott Scale-XTR, Intense Spider, Trek Fuel

[Dec 26, 2010]
theespressoguy

Strength:

Fast, stiff, light.
Climbs like mountain goat, The bike seems to propel you forward the harder you climb?
It also descends like a lunatic due to the 69° head tube which makes it very stable on descents.

None with the bike or it's performance.
Very poor build from the store I purchased it from though.

This bike is the new jewel in my collection. It is super stiff and climbs like a mountain goat. It is an excellent XC bike that makes all mountain riding an absolute pleasure.
I started racing in 1993 and have tried many different bikes and this is the best bike I have ever ridden. Yeti, i would just like to say "Thank You".

Merlin Tiaga Titanium
Marin Team Issue
AMP B5

[Aug 15, 2010]
yoroshikune

Strength:

Looks
Stiff
Light

Expose FD cable that runs under the frame
Press fit BB bearing

A very sweet looking bike. Climbs like a mountain goat like some have commented. Stiff and light as well. Being my 1st carbon bike and all, what else is there to say. Just can't wait to hit the trails again with this modern age monster.

Fastrax, Giant NRS XTC Team 2003

[Jan 17, 2010]
Russell G.

Strength:

lots of stand over making leaning and tight trails more fun. Fast, stiff, light. The integrated seat tube and pressed bb are huge advantages when putting the hammer down. Yeti green is a head turner and the graphics are bold but not gawdy. suspension wants to propel you forward and the slack head tube makes it very stable on descents.

If you have the version 3 seat clamp you best call yeti and tell them you want the version 4. The version 3 will most likely cause the seat tube to crack. the new version is much better looking too.

laterally stiff vertically compliant.

Blurs Kona hei hei, Litespeeds. superlights K2's

[Dec 31, 2009]
kelroy

Strength:

Light, stiff, efficient, rare and lustworthy

Not as compliant as my Intense Spyder

I'm 6'1 190 and this is the best bike I have owned, I loved my Spyder and Id but this Yeti is lighter and feels more efficient (hard to believe for me). It's not as compliant on the small stuff (small roots and rocks) and lowering the air pressure does help but makes it sag to much. It climbs like a goat and handles medium + bumps as good as the others with virtually no flex at all. It handles great and draws a crowd wherever I go. Love the finish quality and how unique it is. Highly recommend this bike.

Intense Spyder VPP, Ellsworth ID, Schwinn FS, Trek Y, Litespeed HT,

[Nov 24, 2009]
crosscntrynut

Strength:

this bike is amazing it climbs better than a hardtail, i know, but its true

a little scared of the seat post

had a bad expirence with the first frame but yeti stuck by me and made it right. And I can say after riding with my race buddy today I blew his doors off, this bike is sick this was my first ride and after the first mile I was leaning this thing almost horizontal in the turns and when the tires did slip it was a very controlled two wheel drift any body want to buy a scott scale frame

scott scale xt fox 100rlc fork