Woodstock Bikes 707 XC Full Suspension

Frame Sizes: 16", 18", 20"
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Cassette: SRAM PG950, 11–34T, 9 speed
Crankset: Truvativ Blaze 3.0, 9 speed
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Chainwheel: 42/32/22
Front Fork: Manitou Axel Elite FFD (Fluid Flow Damping) w/100mm Travel, Upgraded with Firm Spring & Lockout
Frame: Double-Butted Four-Bar 7005 Alloy (A614-0)
Front Brake: Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
Seatpost: Truvativ XR Single Bolt
Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
Stem: Truvativ XR
Spokes: 14G Stainless Steel Black
Tires: WTB Weirwolf 26" x 2.1"

foresterntree   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2009]
Strength:

It's a very versatile bike, able to climb and descend adeptly. Mechanical disc brakes perform very well when dialed in correctly. Easy to assemble, with very good instructions.

Rear shock--I had problems with it holding air, so I upgraded to the '06 Vanilla R. Rides awesome now.

Great bike for the money. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but they're no longer in business. This thing can go almost anywhere. Like someone else said earlier, if you have a chance to get one of these used, take it!

Similar Products Used: First dual suspension bike. Looked at Specialized, but were too expensive.
mrdryoung   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2008]
Strength:

This is much more bike than you can expect from the local bike shop. The Sram/Shimano drivetrain is very smooth and responsive. When the Avid BB5s are adjusted properly, they stick as well or better than my old hydraulics. The Radium sucks up the bumps well and rebound is easily controlled. This bike rides as well or better than my buddies' bikes(Fuel and Hifi). The best part is the fact that I paid less than half of what they did!

Overall weight, but that is expected from a bike in this price range. The front fork is a little soft for a heavier rider(200+) but once it is tightened, it holds fairly well.

This was one of the best deals available if you were lucky enough to get your hands on one. This is a very sturdy bike with decent components. If you are able to track one of these gems down on the used end, I would not hesitate to jump on it.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher, Trek, Ironhorse
GWWHITE   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2008]
Strength:

The whole bike is an awesome deal and can not complain about anything

Having to tighten up the crank once in a while and the front for could be a little better.

This is probably the best bike you could of gotten for the money. The guy at the local bike shop still can't believe what I paid for it. Even on a closeout it was a steal. I would probably buy one used if I needed another one. This bike will shred some trails like the best of them. I would recommend this bike to anyone. Hopefully they will be back someday.

Similar Products Used: Giant
Derek   [May 28, 2008]
Strength:

Decent quality stock components for the cost, customer service from Woodstock excellent, frame stiffness and "feel"

A little on the heavy side (even for full suspension), brakes are less effective than hoped for

First let me say I like this bike. I have the 2007 version and I don't know if any changes were done for the 2008 bike. I consider myself a little more than a weekend warrior, but less than an avid rider. I do about 3-4 off-road triathlons a year and I've been pretty happy riding this bike in them.

That being said, it is a little on the heavy side (I'm guessing at least a pound heavier than the Trek I had). I had the stem cap break while I was putting it together but after a call to Woodstock a replacement cap was quickly shipped. I also had some chain problems initially with the bike where the chain would get wedged between the front chain rings and the frame which took a little creative thinking to fix (involving a paper clip and duct tape) but once that was taken care of it rode nicely and I haven't had a problem since. The bike handles well and is pretty responsive to pedal pressure (although there is some pedal bob it's nothing compared to the bobbing I had with my old Trek Y-frame). It would be nice if the brakes were fluid instead of mechanical as I seem to be having a problem getting the pads to grip the disc with consistent pressure from one braking experience to the next, even on the same ride.

Overall I'm happy with what I got in this bike. I know there are better bikes out there, but I don't think any of them are going to cost less than the 707 does.

Similar Products Used: Trek Y-frame (circa '99)
John   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2008]
Strength:

CHEAP. Quality components. Great customer service. Fast shipping. Excellent manuals and documentation.

-Have to know minor bicycle assembly and tuning. I'm not the best wrench in the world, but I could figure it out.
-Color is kind of boring.
-Truvativ crankset bolt known to loosen. Woodstock gives fair warning in assembly instructions. Seriously, check this bolt often!
-Deore front derailleur seems not to throw far enough outwards. Shimano has a tech update sheet saying a little chain rub is OK. I say it's annoying.
-Chain had some tight links that caused skipping on smallest cassette cog. I lubed it and torqued the links a bit and fixed the problem.
-Fork, though upgraded with firm spring by Woodstock, is a little soft for big riders (220+). Bike still rides nice though.
-Bike is heavyish. 34 pounds.

The weaknesses listed are minor quibbles. None should cause you to not consider this bike. I wanted to list them so I wouldn't sound too much like a Woodstock fanboy.

Like I said, I'm not a good wrench and I got the bike together pretty quick. Getting the headset and BB5s just right took the most time, and only because I have little experience fussing with headsets and it was literally my first time even touching a disc brake.

Customer service is great. I got my bike the day after I ordered it due to my proximity to Woodstock, GA.

For $738, I don't think you could find a better full suspension bike. It was going to cost me that much to update my Schwinn.

If you have an old 90's FS and want 27 speeds and disc brakes, this bike is cheaper than upgrading. If you want to give a FS bike a try, let this be your first, not some department store anchor.

The more I ride this bike and get it set up, the more I like it. I'm just hoping I don't get buyer's remorse when their 2008 or 2009s come out.

Similar Products Used: '97 Schwinn S-20
Randell Turner   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2008]
Strength:

The tires work great for general cross country and even some pretty serious downhill riding.

The rear shifter went bad but Woodstock sent me a check to cover the cost of having it replaced!

I bought my bike from Woodstock nearly a year ago. Assembly was a little tricky but it went together well and soon I had put a couple of pretty aggressive rides on the bike. My son and his friends "borrowed" it for several rides and always came back saying it was great! Finally it wasn't shifting right so it was time for a tune-up before my son's batchelor party trip to NW Arkansas. I took it to a local shop and there's where things got a little dicey. I don't think they really wanted to service it but they did. In the end, Jimmy spoke with the tech and agreed to compensate for the replacement of the rear shifter. Jimmy did more than expected but the local shop kept my bike for an extended period of time and the manager got involved when I went to pick it up. This is not the bikes fault. On to the trip to NW Arkansas. I'm 50 now so I don't ride that hard! My 707 worked flawlessly and became the go to bike. Four automotive techs. had bought or built expensive bikes, in some cases just for this 3 day trip and at the bottom of the hill the 707 was one of few that didn't need "fixed" before it was ridden again. That's not with me riding it but them. On one particular trip down there were 3 flats but not on the 707 and it was one of the lead bikes. On the day after the downhill they went back to Slaughter Pen and rode the jumps and stunt areas because it had dried out enough to enjoy. The Woodstock was ridden hard and though it is still dirty from the trip it is no worse for the wear! Mine is an '07 model and for those considering a full suspension bike the '07's were marked down the last time I checked and that makes them a super deal. At the end of the trip I'm glad I have a Woodstock hanging on the wall in the garage. Thanks Jimmy and Libby!

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2007]
Strength:

Good components for the money. Much lighter than my previous bike. Rear shock holds up well. Mechanical disc brakes are awesome. I'll never do calipers again!

Front fork is a little weak. You can dial out the shock for road usage, but once you engage the shock it's a little loose for my taste. In fact, if I could have one upgrade, this would be it.

I have a irksome rattle that occurs when I'm in really moving. Seems to be a sound out of the front brake unit. Not sure what it is (possibly a vibration?). Anyways, that's the only thing I need to track down.

Setup - Took me about an hour to do the setup. Not too bad at all. Brake adjustment was pretty easy with the new directions

Overall - I love the bike. It has been a vast improvement over my previous ride. All I wanted was a good bike at at fair price (which is difficult for a full suspension ride). I got it in the 707. I would definitely recommend the bike for someone wanting to step up from the the Target specials.

Similar Products Used: Came from a $300 mongoose behemoth. The ride has been night and day... once I finally got comfortable on the bike.
Charles Genovese   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2007]
Strength:

For the price, the Woodstock 707 is wonderfully built, comes spec'ed nice, and performs as well as bikes costing double (even triple in some cases) as much.

Dealing with Woodstock is very similar to dealing with Ibex in that the customer is treated like top priority during the ordering process.

I've logged countless miles on mine and it has held up up perfectly. Not a hint of complaint.

About the only flaw in the entire operation is that the 707 only comes in one color scheme. While I personally find the look of the bike unique and quite beautiful, there are going to be some who long for more customization options.

In a recent experiment, I rode the 707 back to back against the Trek Fuel EX6 and the Woddy outperformed it in nearly every possible way. The real bonus is that it was roughly half the price to boot!

Similar Products Used: Ibex Asta, Kinley SX Pro
Randell Turner   [Aug 13, 2007]
Strength:

I really like the suspension and the shifters though it took some time to get used to them.

The rear suspension does cost some torque on hill climbs but the ride pays back any losses from this area! The crankset did need tightened several times but this problem seems now to be resolved.

As of now I've not gotten to spend as much time on this bike as I would like though it is an awesome bike. My first trip out was 2:45 minutes and it performed flawlessly. I've only been out on a couple of short non-technical rides since then. My son and his friends have "borrowed" it 3-4 times and put several miles on it. They all like it and actually each one has bought something else and will have as much or more in what they have bought and seemingly have less bike than I do when they get done. For now the only matter that they found was we have possible cable adjustments because the shifters are not working through the full range but this is most likely to be expected and when I get time I'll call the tech. line and get it tuned that way or take it to the local bike shop and get a real tune up that it most likely needs in the near future anyway. I'm primarily a runner but wanted a bike that could give me some great service on local trails for a good price and I have no real disappointments with this bike so far!

If you want a great full-suspension bike for about half of what others are selling for of the same quality and you are pretty handy with wrenches and screwdrivers this is the bike for you. I ordered on Monday and received my bike on Wednesday, AWESOME shipping/customer service!

Similar Products Used: Mongoose full suspension bike from WalMart! Cheap and not much good! No comparison!!!!
Lance Tolen   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Great priced bike! Components are pretty decent. Big names like SRAM, Truvativ, WTB and Manitou. I like the rear shock on it. Once I got it set up for my needs, I was able to have so much fun on the 707. For is pretty decent too for a spring fork.
Customer Service is great at Woodstock. They knew their stuff and was very helpful.

None so far, the bike has performed better than I expected.

I think this is a great bike for the money. You can compare it to other bikes that Trek, Raleigh and Giant have, but you'll end up paying hundreds more for it.

This is a great mid-level mountain bike. Before considering to purchase any other bikes that have a price tag over $1000, check out the Woodstock 707, you won't be disappointed!