Trek Fuel Carbon EX XC Full Suspension

• 212 grams lighter than 2008. New frame weight is 2238 grams or 4.92 lbs
  • Frame is now 28% stiffer in an axle to axle torsion test.

• User Reviews (2)

tucan22   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2008]
    Strength:

light great components!

Are there any?

I am reviewing the 08 model because it is almost the same except for the talas fork and foam grips....I am going to buy the bike in 3 days, but since I am getting it used I was able to ride it for a week so far!

It is the best bike I have ever ridden! It climbs better than my hardtail, jumps better than my old dirt jumper (had to sell it so I could buy a downhill bike) and descends as well as my downhill bike!

It is a very expensive bike,but the bike just floats!

The rear end is aluminum which helps it flex less. Also I broke my scott in that area (you don't see that area so it takes more hits).

While my scott was getting its fork rebuilt I rented the Ex 8 (it took over a month to get the right piece). So I rode The EX8 for about one month. The difference between these two models is night and day!

If you want to go with a cheaper one I would recomend nothing lower than the EX9.8

So if you want a light bike that climbs like a goat yet you can still ride it like a trail bike you should get this bike! I am going to race it, jump it, and ride w/ my family on it. It should not cost so much, but that is what all bikes cost these days, I would give a 4 for value, but I loved it so much it deserves a five all around!

Similar Products Used: Trek liquid, and I own a scott scale 30
    OVERALL
    maxout   Racer [Sep 04, 2008]
    Strength:

Everything

Grips and seat

This bike is in a category all its own, Trek hit one way out of the park. I can't speak for the reliability of the bike at this time, but I sure can tell you that the ride is epic, nothing like any other bike I have ridden. I just replaced my 2005 Motolite for this bike. This bike does everything amazingly well! Effortless climber, quick in the turns and super comfortable cockpit! I test rode the Pivot mach 5 and the Trance X, the 9.8 falls in the middle for comfort - not too relaxed but not too racy. The ABP and the larger RP23 XV shock really makes this bike super plush, but efficient...great small bump compliance. The full floater has a bottomless feel. Oh, the Rhythm Elite wheels are incredible, 28mm rims make a huge difference in cornering ability (bigger contact patch) and I only run 29lbs of air with tubes.

Similar Products Used: Trance X, moto-lite maybe!!
    OVERALL