Tomac Revolver XC Full Suspension

• Modified single-pivot design with optimal shock positioning 3" of super responsive and consistently smooth bump performance
  • Custom double-butted AN-6 heat-treated aluminium frame lightweight rigidity with zero compromise toughness
  • Tomac-signature machined yolks with sealed bearings ultimate stiffness, durability, and performance
  • Manitou Spv 3-way adjust shock technology tunable, stable pedaling platform with minimal energy-robbing pedal kickback

Don   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2006]
Strength:

Light, responsive, fast, precise.

Build strength, shock setup.

I picked this up on closeout at REI as the brand is no longer being made. Initial response is that it is great for what I bought it for, XC endurance races. I took a while to get used to the dual control, but found them usefull once adjusting to them. Still prefer SRAM for its set and forget precision. Ditched the Kenda's immediately. In order to set the SPV on the Swinger 3 way, you have to let all the air out of the main chamber, compress the rear (in order to access the SPV air valve), set the SPV, then reinflate the main. What I pain in the a$$, and I had to find out via much trial and error. This is only a pain until you find the right setting, then it is a moot point.

Well, just finished the 24 hour in the Old Pueblo and was cleaning up the bike to take it in to have the rear shock and rear freewheel looked at. I noticed a paint chip missing on one of the seat tower supports. Closer inspection revealed stress cracks, and the same thing on the other side. Now this bike has been ridden for its intended purpose, and I am a light rider at a whopping 135lbs, so it was a suprise to find this at only the 4 month mark. REI just confirmed that it is cracked, and was non-commital until tomorrow when the lead tech looks at it and contacts Litespeed. I have no idea how this will be taken care of, so the jury is out on that for now. I will update this once everything is resolved. To be honest, I don't want the same frame given how quickly it failed. I have never broken a frame or fork before, and it has me concerned that this happened so fast. That's it for now...middle of the road on the ratings until things come out in the wash.

Misspelled words are complementary.

Similar Products Used: Many hardtails, Moho CXS, Jamis Dakar, 4-banger, Enduro.
Jared   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2006]
Strength:

Nimble handling, superb climber, unique design.

Replacement parts are non-existent, serious chain suck when shifting to front middle chain ring. American Bicycling Group non-supportive.

1 Chili for value since once the bushings go this is a very expensive paperweight or doorstop. 3 Chilis overall because you will enjoy riding it until it breaks.

Don't buy this bike: period. I loved riding this bike for the last 18 months. Took it into my LBS to have it tuned for next season and found that they could not get replacement bushings for the rear suspension. Did some checking around and found that nobody has these parts any more. REI is out, American Bicycling Group who distributed the bike was useless, and the new owners of Tomac while very helpful and sympathetic have no plans to support ABG Tomacs for replacement parts. Totally frustrating and disappointing. Made the trip down to Boston to the nearest REI and returned the bike. Three cheers for REI! They took the bike back 18 months after purchase, no questions asked, and gave me a FULL refund! I just ordered a '07 Cannondale Rush 3 and can't wait to get my hands on it.

pete   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2006]
Strength:

great ride

no longer in production

great bike,up hill and down hill, I really like this bike, but its a pisser Tomac and ABG fell through,so far, for me the bike has no problems.

Similar Products Used: hard tails
CP   Racer [Dec 19, 2005]
Strength:

Light & Stiff, 2470 grams...., simple efficient single pivot, SPV ROCKS if set up right...Gas to ride, soaks up the $hit at Full Cry, Built by Johnny T & Dougie B.

Johnny T and Dougie B have yet to get production going again. Some folks don't make the SPV learnin' curve. Some folks think XC bikes should be designed fer huckin....so an all mtn bike this ain't. It's strong in all the ways a thoroughbred should be, and weak in all the ways a thorough bred should be.

This bike kicks ass. For an XC bike it shreds. Best described as what one would expect to find in between a C-dale Scalpel and Rush: A bad ass light weight XC ripper. Bottom Line, I'm concerned that this may be the best of a dying breed. Crying shame coz it was arguably the best bang fer buck XC full squisher on the planet.

Similar Products Used: FSR's, NRS's, Phyuels, Scalpels.
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2005]
Strength:

It's hard not to repeat other posts' strengths on the bike; a superlight ride that feels like it wants to work with you to fly XC. Climbs moderate grades(for Long Island) well also. Twitchy in the front end for sure but that doesn't take too long to get used to. Did some road work with it and the saddle proved to be a great help on longer rides. I bought the 2004 from coloradocyclist for $1800 and as of early August they had cut that to $1400. Bike definately has that north of $1800 price feel to it, so I think it's greatest strength is it's price. Absolutely happy with it but it's got some "issues"......

Manitou SPV 3-way rear shock virtually impossible to get to with a high pressure air pump. 2 person operation and even then snapped a valve. Cable routing has paint worn to the frame. Will take other poster's advice and get those patches. Little bit of chatter with LX brake/shifters but that can be ignored.

Great ride, great value

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS, Cannondale prophet (yeah, a freeride rig)
Bill Boles   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2005]
Strength:

This is the best bike I've ever ridden. It handles both technical and smooth trails with equal equanimity. After less than two hours on the bike I was riding it faster and better than on my old bike.
I should note that mine is a 2005 Revolver, not the 2004 pictured above.

I didn't like the tires that came with it, but that's personal preference.

I won this bike in the NEMBA/Tomac TrailCare Series raffle. Stock the bike weighed 29 LBS, (exactly the same as my old bike). It came with a fairly middle of the road component spec. With the changes mentioned above it now weighs a little less than 27.
I've got about 20 hours on it so far, and will update this report when I get that up to about 100.
So far I can't believe how good this bike is, nor can I believe how much I've been riding it. 9 times in the last 11 days. LOL

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain ETS & SLayer, Cannondale Jeckyl.
Kart Horse   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight, and handles well.

Resr Shock.

Nice bike, light at a little under 26lbs, but man what a crappy shock. I have never experienced so much pedal bob as with the 3 way. I would recommend, as otherwise I think this bike would be seriously quick, but definitely ditch the Manitou.

Live4mtb06   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2005]
Strength:

Very Lightweight. Great suspension in front and rear. No bob whatsoever with the Manitou SPV-3 Way rear shock. 80mm Travel all around is great for Michigan cross-country riding. Looks great.

Cable routing is terrible. I used Lizard Skins carbon fiber patches to keep frame in good shape from the cable rubbing.

The bike is awesome. If looking around for a nice full suspension bike with 80mm travel, then this is the one to get. It ways around 27lbs. and flys down hill and eats them up. It is a very smooth ride with no bobing at all. It is definately an enjoyable ride, and works great for Midwestern trails.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Blur
jason   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2004]
Strength:

drop dead looks and fantastic build quality

love it to bits, lighter than the handjob, quicker than the jeckyl and the sv-p works fantastically well.
only thing that is taking some getting used to is the front end,,, far too light which is great for technical, gnarly stuff but damn scary at speed downhill. a set of fox rlc`s may help that and/or a shorter stem with a higher rise on the bars.
other than that this thing rocks