Tomac Carbide XC XC Full Suspension

• 90mm rear travel, designed for 80 or 100mm travel fork and custom tuned Fox RP23 rear shock
  • 5.4 pound (2450g) frame weight with Fox RP23 shock (large size)
  • Carbon tubes designed to promote overall stiffness,specific carbon lay ups for each size bike
  • Optimized wheel path to provide minimal chain growth and linear action
  • Low stand over height with plenty of seat post adjustability
  • Three sets of bearings for frame means easy service
  • Dual water bottle mounts on all but small size
  • Available in small, medium, large and extra large

The Carbide XC frame comes equipped with the Fox RP23 and low gloss carbon/ano black color only

Price listed is for frame only, also available as a complete bike

Jasper   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2014]
Strength:

Great price, weight, geometry. Shock design is racy, not the smothest ride, but good control. Buy if you want a racing XC bike with the capability of a little rougher XC / all mountain.

Not the smoothest ride. I broke two frames on the rear triangle near the bottom bracket. Definitely a design flaw; same fault twice, and the lbs indicated having seen more of the same failures. LBS support was horrible, but this was not the fault of Tomac. I am not a heavy rider at 80kgs and do not use the bike for anything other than XC.

Compared to Giant Anthem Advanced, the ride is a lot smoorther on the Giant, plus the frame quality is better. The weight is the same, but the price of the Giant is a lot higher. In the end the extra money is money well spent though, as my carbide's only lasted a year each.

Very cheap for what it offers, looks great and rides well. Would not buy again because of design flaw in rear triangle.

Similar Products Used: Anthem advanced, generation 1 and 2
Sebastian   [May 02, 2013]
Strength:

Climbing
pedalling efficiency
light weight

nothing important
cable routing could be better?

Absolutely love this bike, it gives you XC climbing efficiency plus trail/AM capabilities on singletrack

maybe the head angle could be better at 69,5 or 70 instead of the 70,5 but that would have to be tested
anyone has put a 120 (5 inch) fork on it?

Similar Products Used: specialized camber 2011
specialized stumpjumper ht 2012
krausedmb   Racer [Apr 12, 2011]
Strength:

Solid Frame, has taken some beatings and shows minimal signs of it. Stiff, climbs like a mtn goat. Descends great. Easy to service pivots.

Water bottle in triangle is hard to get in and out. Had to flip the shock. Helps a bit.

Love it! Climbs great, descends fast, handles well. Great race bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 90, Giant
jmortiz   Racer [Aug 04, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff, very light and ofcourse, a sight for sore eyes!!

None at the moment

1st FS bike of mine, built from my previous pinnacle HT parts. Superb craftmanship from Tomac, a little worried at first try (have not rode a carbon bike before :)). Can't wait to bring the bike home in RP to really test it's endurance, currently riding it only on pavement @ 54 degree temp.!!

ridefrp   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2010]
Strength:

Extremely stiff and light weight. Super climbing ability, extremely fast downhills

Absolutely none that I can find

A great bike for someone that wants to take it to the next level. The first downhill I went down was a bit scary I wasn't use to that kind of speed, what a rush. This is the greatest bike I have ever ridden. My 2010 Trek doesn't compare in any way. It's a thrill to ride and if you get a chance please take it for a spin. If you have never tried a Rotor MTB crank with Q rings you really need to. I just ordered the Tomac Automatic for my everyday rider, enough said.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel Ex
byost   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff, light carbon fiber frame with a great geometry for climbing - the center of balance is to the rear, keeping the front end very light. Also, the bike literally floats down the descents. I ride on very rocky trails in NJ, and the suspension has no problem dealing with rock gardens at speed.

Is it wrong to be infatuated with a piece of equipment?

I love this bicycle. I'm embarrassed to admit that I chose this bike in large measure because of its looks. But once I got to know it better, I fell in love with the feel of the thing. I used to look at other bikes with lust in my heart, but no more!

Fast Ltd76   Racer [Jul 25, 2009]
Strength:

super light, lockout on the rp23 eliminates any bob. this bike climbs with very little effort and soaks up downhills like an all mountain rig!

highly reccomend the carbide to any serious xc rider/racer

wabiker3576   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

Nice stiff lightweight frame, climbs like a hardtail with the pro-pedal engaged , dis-engage for a plush downhill.

If I find one I will let you know...

After riding FS years ago and not being impressed , I stuck with my Ti or steel hardtails for the last 10 years . But after seeing the Carbide and reading the reviews I felt it was time to try again, and was glad I did. I think it is a great platform for the rider that is looking for a bike that climbs like a hardtail and descends just as well as it climbs. And looks cool..

Similar Products Used: Kona King Kahuna XO triggers & rear der. XTR front , Avid Ultimate Disc,
Reporterkyle   Racer [Jun 11, 2009]
Strength:

The list of superlatives for this bike is fairly long -- super stiff rear triangle, super stiff front triangle, super stuff shock linkage, zero flex bottom bracket, relatively light weight, great durability, perfect balance, fantastic trail manners, a surprisingly plush rear suspension and a company with kick-ass customer service.

The dings on this bike are few and far between. It's a light bike, but not on par with SOME other XC bikes. Of course, the new Carbide SL - 4.5 lb frame - addresses that issue.

I'm enjoying this bike more and more after each ride. It took me a few rides to get the fit and suspension dialed in, but now that I've got it right, I'm very, very pleased. Some thoughts:

CLIMBING -- The Carbide is the right balance between of pedal platform (thanks to the Fox RP23 rear shock)and activity. The rear wheel stays firmly planted and the suspensions feels bob-free. Love it. One of the biggest advantages is the fact the BB on the Carbide is completely flex-free, meaning all your power is going straight to the rear wheel. The Carbide is a great climber. I'm really enjoying it.

FLAT SINGLETRACK -- When you are getting into that killer, flowy singletrack, this is where the Carbide really shines. It is very quick edge-to-edge, but it is not sketchy or twitchy. Rather, this bike is perfectly balanced, begging you to push turns harder, lay it on the rail deeper and attack. It's a ton of fun. The suspension ably eats up trail chatter so you can keep the power down. The carbon frame is damp and feels great, eliminating the high frequency frame buzz you get with aluminum. This is my second carbon MTB and I am sold on carbon as a frame material.

DESCENDING -- Switch off the shock's ProPedal and let her rip. The suspension seems to have more performance and more plushness than what you would expect for a single-pivot, 4-inch travel XC bike. I had some reservations about the Carbide initially, but my demo ride on this thing last year is what sold me. This bike is so stable, so well balanced and appropriately damp that it just screams downhill.

TOTAL PACKAGE -- Hats off to the guys at Tomac for building a well-rounded and awesome XC full suspension. Anyone looking for a top-of-the-line racer or general XC bike should throw a leg over the Carbide. Unlike some of the other bikes out there, this bike has all the performance you expect from a brand bearing Johnny T's name and the durability to stand the test of time.

Similar Products Used: Full-suspensin bikes I've owned and raced include Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Yeti ASR and Scott Spark 15. I loved the Yeti and Scott, but was not a big fan of the Stumpy.
Ward Thompson   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2009]
Strength:

This is just a great working bike. It's simple, light and pedals really nicely. I've use it to both train and for the occasional race, and I found it's just the perfect bike for doing everything.

I was a little nervous about owning a carbon bike, but it's been great so far. The bike is really light and really stiff, and I attribute it mainly to the carbon. I have fallen a few times on it, and the carbon took one serious impact without any damage.

I rode a lot of demo bikes before I finally decided on the Carbide XC, and I glad I decided to buy one. It was the clear winner for me because, from the moment I tossed a leg over the bike, it just felt right. My impression continues to do the same. I like the bike more and more with age, which in the past, it has been an opposite experience.

Similar Products Used: I test rode a lot of different carbon full suspension bikes before I bought the Carbide.