Titus Racer X Carbon XC Full Suspension

The super-light, carbon construction of the new front triangle will inevitably establish new industry benchmarks in XC full-suspension.

Protection of your investment against foreign objects is guaranteed with the ingenious addition of the Titus R.U.B. (replaceable under belly) Plate.

Carbon seatstays, and hydro-formed alloy chainstays, combine to create the perfect harmony of stiffness and light weight.

Luke Brammall   All Mountain Rider [Dec 19, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight racing machine - pending your choice of groupset and wheels of course, plush feel to the rear suspension and due the weight accelerates very quickly and is actually a joy to ride on the climbs. Nimble on single track and great to ride on flowing courses

Haven't found any weaknesses in the frame yet -

I have owned many many mountain bikes over the last 20 years and the Titus Racer X Carbon, that I brought second hand is by far the best mountain bike I've ever owned. Great ride feel and the Large size frame fits me perfectly (am 1.85m). This bike has made me only want to ride titus bikes in the future, so when the day comes that it finally dies I will most certainly be replacing it with another bike from the titus range.

If you can get your hands on a titus carbon racer x then do so, and enjoy the ride!

Luke Brammall   All Mountain Rider [Dec 19, 2013]

Haven't found any weaknesses in the frame yet -

Ant Allen   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2011]
Strength:

Design rigidity, lightweight, great looker

Bottle space minimal

Phenomenal resulting build - finished it yesterday and rushing this review to get home and ride it (2nd ride today).
Waaaaaay better than my Giant Anthem! Weighs better too 10.5kg including tire slime. Agile, responsive, alive and simply flipping fantastic! It is even that much better than my Racer X (which I should never have sold for a Giant - WHAT WAS I THINKING???).
I truly hope that Planet X manage to maintain the legendary level of excellence that Titus have taken years to build up!
Quite simply in 22 years of mountain bike riding, I have NEVER ridden such dialled bike!

Similar Products Used: Titus Racer X, Giant Anthem X1
bigryan814   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2011]
Strength:

The bike is very solid and very fast!! I have had the bike less than a month and I get get over how much I LOVE this bike....I have alot of experience riding many different bikes and forms of geometry and this bike is a winner...the frame is very strong and even though its marketed as a XC racer...it can take alot and the carbon is very strong and does not hinder the riders confidence through the technical areas and the decents.....

none at this time

Bottom line is that this bike is amazing......I had my doubts at first getting a carbon fiber bike not knowing how much racing id be doing vs...trail/technicals rides....but i couldnt be happier with the outcome and i recommand this bike to anyone...The only thing I would say is for you taller or border line between the medium and large....go with the large due to the extra support beam on the top tube and seat tube....unlike cannondale and some bikes.....I dont hear annoying crackle noises in the frame when im riding unlike most aluminum frames...this bike is built to late and take whatever you throw at it......one more thing....the underbelly protector is great and the inside of the frame is lines with a titanium cage/grid to help with strength!!! took me awhile of searching to figure that out....sick bike!!!!! so fun to ride..

Similar Products Used: cannondale rize, prophet, scapel, specialized enduro, stumpjumper, giant trance x
Spastook   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2010]
Strength:

Well thought out design, quick handling, balanced, naked carbon looks great.

Very expensive. Probably could have built up a FS aluminum bike with lesser components for less than half. Carbon Fiber in the woods makes me a bit nervous.

More bike than anyone of my ability can exploit but has a nice bling factor to it. Also nice to show up on a ride with something different. So many people out there riding brand X,Y or Z since all the cool local steel builders have gone out of business due to the influx of Chinese carbon fiber frames and such. Still enjoy riding my steel hardtails but my old bones enjoy the plushness of FS.

Similar Products Used: Several high end steel and titanium hardtails over the years, but nothing really similar.
maxbmax   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2010]
Strength:

Titus X Carbon Racer: Ridgid, light, FSR suspension. Later modle frames are very affordable. Underbelly protection cap

CARBON WILL BREAK IF I FALL SIDEWAYS! I had to buy the frame and parts separately. The factory set up it too expensive.

THE BOMB.. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME SETUP! THE BIKE PURRS LIKE A CAT AND RUNS LIKE A CHEETA! CLIMBS FLAWLESSLY! The frame is affordable compared to Specialize, Ibis, Yeti and almost any other brand modle.

Similar Products Used: Yeti ASRm Ibis Mojos, Specilzie Stump Jumper..
Double b   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2009]
Strength:

Handles very well, the steering is tight and fast. I am 5'11 and chose an x-lrg frame, I like the positioning.

Not that light for a carbon fiber bike. I expect that it will hold up better but only time will tell.

Top notch x-country racer.I have beat the heck out of it and it keeps on rollin. Don't be scared of the carbon, it is tough as nails.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Rize,Specialized,Gary Fisher
PQCJR   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2009]
Strength:

This bike is solid, stiff, and very quick...Not to mention light! From an asthetic standpoint...it's gorgeous! Lot's of stares at the local trail.

Like some of the other reviews have stated, the water bottle cage area is very tight. Fortunately I use a Camelbak, so this is not an issue at all. Other than this, I have found no weaknesses with this beautiful bike...Simply awesome!

I bought my 2008 Titus Racer X Carbon having never ridden a Titus, but having read many good reviews. I spent a lot of time researching frames and components and bought each part piece by piece in an effort to build my dream bike.

After 6 months of riding this bike I can honestly say I have not once been disappointed!!!! This bike is extremely fast, tight like a hardtail, quick off the line, and can take some serious punishment! I had several friends telling me I should go for 5" of travel front and rear, but I find the 4 inches my 08 offers is perfect for me. I read one review that said riding this bike is like floating on a cloud...I disagree; It's like strapping yourself to a jet and flying in space!!! Very smooth, very fast...I love this bike!

If you are in the market and can afford one of these bad boys, I highly recommend it!

Thanks to Art at UBC Bikes in Tampa for building this bike as if it were his own...Awesome work Art!!!

Similar Products Used: 2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe, 2008 Felt Virtue 2, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 9.0, 2008 Elsworth Epiphany
Marc Peot   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2008]
Strength:

Lighter than the ALU X's; Stiffer laterally, e.g. better cornering, acceleration and climbing; vertically compliant, e.g. smoooooth on the trail.
Oh -- let's face it -- she looks gorgeous!
You've heard it before but the RP23 is awesome. I used to have PUSH do their thing. Used to.

$$$$$$$$$$$$
Water bottle access is tight -- Can you say Camelbak?
Not a deal killer, imho

Wow. I've always loved the 'X', but nothing could have prepared me for how my new 'gal' acts on the trail.
I know carbon is great on the road -- but on the trail it is nothing short of pure magic!
I could blather on for 100's of words -- but, you'd probably rather be riding, right?
So here it is in a nut shell....
I am able to take corners @ 1 to 3 mph faster, with WAY less input and still have plenty of safety margin. On my ALU 'X', I would be at the limit of lean and grip -- not so with the Carbon.
Ditto on the descent -- it's so smooth, I gotta watch the speed! Yikes! Whoa, Nelly!
On a short steep climb, when I hit the gas, it feels like all 25 lbs 'disappears' and the bike gets transparent or something...! Everyone describes it a little different -- some say it's like someone is pushing you.
Whatever -- it is truly an amazing feeling and I have NEVER experienced anything like it.

Most importantly of all I think is the way the frame just soaks up the trail -- as in after a 50+ mile ride I feel like I did 5. Sure, my legs feel all the climbing -- but, my body has been spared all the abuse of the little bumps and jars that are just part and parcel of mountain biking.

Make no mistake -- trail feel is so crisp it's almost telepathic.
But the ride quality is so smooth it is mind boggling.

So Beware! If you get the chance to actually ride one of these on the trail... It'll ruin you for anything less.
Maybe you'll get a Specialized or a Yeti or an Ibis -- but it will have to be carbon fiber.
You have been warned!!

Kudos to Fox on the '08 RLC -- Buttery AND oh so stiff and Compression adjust!!

A special shout out to WRC -- One of the best bike shops around. Thank you for helping me create my dream bike!

Happy Trails!

Similar Products Used: ALU Racer X's -- '01 and '03
Chad   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2007]
Strength:

Fast, fast, fast and the nude carbon looks cool too!

All have been overcome and since this bike is so much fun to ride its hard to dwell on them anyway.

This is my follow up review. In the month I have had the Racer X, I've thrown a leg over it 6 times and have logged over 18 hours on the bike, 245 k, with 9000 m of climbing. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!! Each of our local rides starts with a long single track anaerobic-lactic-acid-in-the-legs-red-zone-climb up the mountain. Before the Racer X on a good day I’d make the climb in about 32-35 minutes. I am now climbing it in less then 29 and am think with a bit more effort I can get up it 25. A lot can be said about a bike's ability to climb. Climbers win races. And the down hills…… wow, this bike handles well going down. It’s scary fast, unbelievably fun and gives you lots of confidence.

1) In my first review I commented about the water bottle situation. Well… you can fit a 1 liter bottle on the down tube bottle mount and get it in and out on the fly without problem. I’ve also purchased a water bottle mount for the seat post and carry another 750 ml bottle. The nice thing is that I can no longer fit a seat pouch under the seat so have to tuck everything I need into a jersey pocket. Meaning I carry less with me now (lighter). I kind of like this set up now because I am carrying slightly less water (only 1.75 liters vs. 2 liters), no seat pouch and only the really essential tools making the whole package even lighter.

2) The lost RUB. Titus rushed a replacement to the Flying Ball in Hong Kong who in turn forwarded it to me in Beijing. Good service all around! No more complaints there. Losing the first one was probably bad luck.

3) Our fix for the seat post works fine and we’ve had no hassles with any slippage.

Did I mention that I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!! Next stop, the finish line of the 2008 Cape Epic hopefully with a better result then our 88th placing this year. Not bad for a 41 year old with a fulltime job. See you on the trails and support your local bike shops. Thanks to Mr. Lee at the Flying Ball and all the rest his team.

I'd recommend this bike.