Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro XC Full Suspension

• Saddle: Specialized BG Rival, Titanium rails
  • Pedals: Shimano M-520 SPD

[May 09, 2011]
biker620

Strength:

Brain Suspension, FSR, Geometry

none so far

the best bike I ever had great suspension and geometry

[Oct 08, 2009]
dekoffer

Strength:

Excellent descending capabilities, good climbing capabilities, very little pedal bob even w/the brain wide-open, fairly light-weight, fox talas fork, avid ultimate brakes, & xt and xo drivetrain. Tubeless-ready DT wheelset.

In-house stem & bars. In-house seat too wide for my liking, but I planned to put on my old-reliable seat anyway. Thin-grips wear quickly. I'm not a big fan of the S-Works captain control tires. Front tire doesn't grip as well as I'd like in hard turns.

Excellent all-around bike. A very capable trail bike that can serve admirably as the occassional xc race bike. If you can only have one mountain bike, then the Stumpy FSR should be among the finalists.

Stumpy hardtail.

[Jul 04, 2009]
CDA MTBer

Strength:

The frame, forks and components are solid and work well together. Climbs like a scalded cat and descends like missle.

MSRP Price...who can afford to buy one new? Lucky for me my friend races and works in the LBS and gave me a killer deal on his lightly if even ridden Stumpy.

I really like this bike and the set up. It climbs and descends well. It does good on the flats and with the rear shock tuned to trail hard there no bob. It took me awhile to get used to the low bottom bracket which allows the peddles to hit rocks and roots easier. Other than the ultra inflated MSRP of these bikes they ride incrediably well for most everything. I would give this bike 5 flamin chilis but with prices equal to or more than motocross motorcycles I can only give it 3 flamin chilis. Maybe more bikes would sell if manufactures would wake up and smell the coffee.....your bikes are way over priced!!!!! Who can afford to buy one more than say every 10 years?

GT, Jamis, Trek, Intense

[Apr 20, 2009]
seekfun

Strength:

Refers to 2009 Model - Stumpjumper FSR Pro Frameset:
Light
Strong
Versatile
Highly-tuneable suspension
Fun (isn't this the bottom line?)

Cautionary Note: Please watch the routing of your rear brake hose on this frame. The standard length brake hose I received from Avid was too short for the standard routing on this frame (size medium), which would have left too little slack at the bars (to accommodate crashes) and too little slack below the bottom bracket for the suspension to articulate properly. My LBS contacted Avid and they shipped me a longer hose (free). I just had to install the longer hose and bleed the brakes (easy enough to do, but the bleed kit was not free). So please check your setup so you don't hit the trails and either rip a hose free from your lever or caliper. Cheers!

I loved my 2006 Stumpy, and I wanted a bike to build up as a winter project... So I put this frame in a work stand in my living room and slowly added the aforementioned parts to it during the winter.

I've been hitting a lot of local singletrack with it lately and am in love. This bike climbs well, descends well at most any speed, sucks up the bumps nicely, and keeps me feeling pretty good even when I put in 20 to 30 miles of singletrack. Compared to my 2006, I notice a BIG difference in the rear suspension, thanks to the Brain. This bike feels much more stiff in the rear when pedaling, but lets go immediately when the terrain asks for it. At high speeds this bike feels every bit as controlled as my non-brain bike did, but I'm definitely not losing energy to suspension bob when pedaling. The Brain is a big hit!

I've heard a few people say this bike can get too light in the front end on steep climbs. On my 2006 model I had a fork with all the adjustable bells and whistles. And I never touched them. So when I built this bike, I consciously bought a simpler fork and took my chances, hoping that 140mm of travel wouldn't be too much to bear on a trail bike. I am not disappointed, in the least. If your bike fits you, you tune your suspension right, stay in an appropriate gear (i.e. use some leg strength), and stay in the cockpit, this bike will climb well for you on steep, rocky, root-covered hills. Whenever I've failed to climb a hill, it's been due to my own weakness, and not because the front end of the bike was floating on me. This thing stays in control.

What kind of rider am I - for comparison?
I'm 5'9", 175 pounds, former BMX/Freestyle guy.
Endurance athlete (never close to the winner's podium, however).
I am aggressive when I'm on my mountain bike (2 broken wrists in 3 years), but I keep the drops on this rig below 3 feet. So if you like to POUND singletrack but don't consider yourself a Downhiller, this review should be relevant.

2006 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

[Apr 10, 2009]
qazokm

Strength:

Amazing climber. Smooth ride. Excellent component set. Light weight. The Brain shock is unbelievable. I don't notice any bobbing while pedaling, but it's smooth once the terrain gets rough.

Mine was creaking a little bit when I first started to ride, but my lbs fixed the problem so everything is great now.

This is the 2009 version. The bike is amazing! I just upgraded from a hardtail. I knew that I would like this bike, but I didn't realize how much of a difference there would be. My body takes less of a beating and I'm fresher at the end of rides. I clear technical sections faster and with greater ease with this bike, and riding is just more enjoyable. The bike is fast and nimble. It also climbs a lot better than I thought it would. I can make it up climbs faster and easier than I did with my hardtail (this was a big concern of mine).

I was trying to decide between this bike and the new Santa Cruz Blur LT and this bike. The main reason I went with the Stumpy was because I wanted the Brain shock. I read great reviews and I knew I would hardly ever play with a Propedal lever during rides if I got a bike with a Fox RP23 shock. I have no regrets. The Brain is awesome. I don't notice any bob when I'm pedaling, but once the terrain gets rough the suspension kicks in.

The rest of the components are top notch also. The brakes are strong, but not obnoxiously strong. You can operate them easily with one finger. The Fox Talas fork is great also. The adjustability between 100, 120, and 140 mm is helpful. When I know I'm about to start an extended climb, I'll drop it down to 100mm and raise it at the top and I'm good to go. Shifting is crisp and problem free, and the tires give good traction. Just throw on your favorite pedals and you're good to go.

It might take you a few rides to really get your suspension dialed in right, but don't get frustrated. Follow the initial setup guide to set the sag and suspension if you don't know what your preference will be, and then make adjustments as you ride. You'll eventually find settings that work for you, and once you do you'll absolutely love it. I got mine set pretty quickly and I love the bike.

I also want to mention Kevin at the Bike Barn in Whitman, MA. He's the owner and him and his crew of guys working there were great. Very helpful and knowledgeable, so I'd highly recommend visiting them for your next bike purchase if you're close.

As a side note, you can mount this bike on a traditional hitch-mounted bike rack (the ones by Thule and Yakima) without a frame adapter. One arm of the rack supports the top tube and the other arm supports the seat stays (so you have one arm in the front triangle and one in the rear triangle). I prefer carrying the bike this way instead of using a frame adapter.

I'm giving 5 Chilis for value. $4400 MSRP seems expensive, but other bikes with a similar component spec go for around the same price (even more actually). Call around and you can get a good deal. I'm also giving 5 Chilis for overall rating because the bike rocks!

I was riding a 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin before, so there's really no comparison between the two bikes.

[Apr 03, 2009]
HK

Strength:

reliable,fits well, stable when speeding down a trail

Steep cliumbs the front wonders, it feels like the rear shock really gets pressed, still not sure what is the best set up for the brain,

It's a good bike, I servived Mammoth trails not to mention San Gab riel mountains, feels light

several

[Feb 28, 2009]
Dave

Strength:

Light, Can be used for many types of riding.

The Specialized AFR Brain shock is a POS!!!!

Don't waste you money on the Brain Shock. Get the top model with the triad. Perhaps ask to have the price of the shock taken off the price of the bike and get a push shock. The brain shock is VERY harsh in all conditions. OK if you like how a hard tail feels then this could be your bike. But honestly, who buys a full suspension bike to have a hard tail feel, I had an 06 FSR S-Works and got rid of the brain shock and purchased a PUSH RP23. The bike came alive un the downhills but gained tons of traction on the steep climbs. I thought they had made progress on the newer shocks....not to be so. I have the shock off the bike and a PUSH RP23 on the way. Oh, when I sold the 06 S-Works FSR, I gave the PUSH shock to my wife and she loves it....super responcive and plush....VERY NICE.
OK, if you are a cross contry racer this thing may suit you, but there is the Epic. Trail riders stay away from the brain and use yours and get a different bike or swap the shock for something better....not hard to do except the size is funky and only PUSH or Specialized has the right length.

Many

[Jan 25, 2009]
sierra blanco

Strength:

durability, ridability

would like to find literature on how to use all the shock/brain adjustments to full capacity

I love riding this bike. I race with it, as well as tackle as much technical terrain I can find. It has not dissappointed yet.

I bought it used, and so got it for half of retail. It would be hard to pay full price, but get a good one used, and it's well worth it.

2003 stumpjumper

[Jan 01, 2009]
Buck Wiki

Strength:

Climbs like a dream.
Provides a confident ride.
Suspension soaks up all I encounter.

Took a few rides to start to appreciate (my first full sus).
You need to take a hacksaw to the seat post.
Not cheap.
Saddle is harsh (but light)

Get this bike! Beg, borrow or steal the cash required to purchase because you wont be disappointed.
I upgraded from a Giant Alias 2008 hardtail and after my first ride was unsure the Stumpjumper was worth the 5 x premium I had paid for the new bike. But be patient, it takes a few rides to appreciate but you soon realise that the sum of a number of subtle parts make riding this bike awesome. I'm riding with more confidence and it shows as I thrash through familiar trails and ascend climbs that once had me reduced to a wheezing mess.

Giant Alias 2008 Hard Tail

[Nov 20, 2008]
srmtbiker79

Strength:

Durable frame, lightwieght for amount of travel, Brain works really well about 5 to 10 clicks out from firm. I ride an XL and it is sub 26 lbs. That's Right. And it still takes a beating.

Brain interferes with some brake calipers hose, such as the '08 XT I have on my bike. But, you can work around it.

I mean, this is Specialized. They stand behind their product. This is a sweet sweet ride. If you don't like the Brain, I'm sure you can trade it in for a fancy new replacement shock from another company and have it brake down on you and wait a whole year for them to fix it.

2003 S-Works Enduro