Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon XC Full Suspension

Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon

Lighter than most pure cross-country rigs, the Stumpjumper FSR Pro would challenge them on the climbs and leave 'em all behind when the trail points downhill.

• FACT 8m carbon main triangle and M5 alloy rear triangle with full cartridge bearing pivots provide an amazingly stiff, light, and agile foundation for the perfect trail bike
  • Specialized/Fox Brain rear shock with Brain Fade, remote Trail Tune inertia valve, and adjustable rebound lets riders dial in the perfect blend of pedaling efficiency and bump compliance
  • Specialized Future Shock S140TA fork with tapered carbon steer/crown, 140-115mm adjustable travel, and spike valve damping integrates with the frame's FSR linkage to create the optimal trail experience
  • Lightweight Roval Control Trail EL wheelset, with oversized 28mm end caps and DT Swiss internals and spokes, provides a lightweight platform for climbing and the stiffness you need to dominate the downhills
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 2.2" front tire works in concert with The Captain Control 2.0" rear tire to deliver exceptional traction for pinpoint cornering and braking in varied conditions
  • Custom Avid Elixir XO R SL brakes with tool-free reach adjust, alloy backed semi-metallic pads, and carbon blades offer lightweight, power-packed control for speedy runs

jason foy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2015]
Strength:

Good on down hill
29er is great for riding technical sections

Brain does not seem to work as it should and had send out for rebuilt twice
last summer . Broke rear chain stay twice seat stay once and main frame broke
once . Specialized blamed the weak frame design on my neglect but I had replaced all
pivot bearings. Also seems to be a lot of flex in the rear triangle when you crank hard.
rims that came with the bike were weak and bent after the 3rd ride . So I put on stans
and they are great!!. Rear hub stripped in the second year of riding.

Fun bike to ride when it is in one piece but if you want something that will hold
up to a strong rider this is not the bike. Thank goodness I have a second bike
or i would have done very little riding in the last three years. Due
to slow specialized warranty repair times and having to fight with
warrenty about who pays for the repair.
I would never buy specialized again because of the product and service
and I spend most of my spare time on a bike.

spencerfrater1   All Mountain Rider [Jun 21, 2012]
Strength:

Light, agile, tough. Rear suspension. Looks

Futureshock S140 (suspension fork). Stock tyres. Cost

Great looking bike. Handles really well both up and down hills, once you have the suspension set up properly. Turns in great. Goes where you point it. I have the 2011 frame and fork with slightly older components (first frame broke and was replaced free of charge by Specialized).
On the downside it takes ages to get the suspension set up right, and then it can be temperamental, especially the fork. I have the Futureshock with the spike valve. When you hit a launch section the bike doesn't take off like it should - the fork tends to die on you and you end up getting air but landing front wheel first. the number of near death experiences I've had because of this. Once I got the fork dialed so I thought it was OK and that lasted a very pleasing four rides. But then it needed to go in for a service (in order to maintain its 5 year warranty) and when it came back it was useless again. I'm selling it now, and have replaced it with a 2009 Fox Float RL 140mm travel which makes the bike handle superbly. So instead of paying extra $$ for the Pro Carbon or S-Works you may as well get the cheaper model Stumpjumper without the fancy fork.

The carbon fibre frame is awesome though, and together with the rear suspension (and brain) works really well. Components are all well matched and high quality as well. But this bike is not cheap.

Similar Products Used: Previous Specialized Stumpjumper models
dwbiker   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2011]
Strength:

light , decends well , It has good components for money spent . xo seems great , tires are good

mushy feeling at pedals esp. uphill when compared to my 5 year old ibis mojo carbon . brain fork and shock do not work as advertised ,the brain idea is specialized hype that sounds good and sells bikes but does not work very well , either have to set up the rear shock or front fork way to stiff for harsh ride or set it up softer and it it bobs . had to have fork oil changed after 5 rides to fix a top out clunk (probably underfilled from factory). bars are too narrow for me .

I do not think the high end specialized bikes are in the same league as : Ibis , pivot , turner , santacruz vpp , intense or even giant (trance) with there outdated horst link suspension . the brain shocks and forks do not compensate for an outdated suspension design .that being said the bike decends well and there are lots of great riders out there that ride these bikes and love them , not me . I got suckered again by specialized bikes advertising and the great reviews the magazines give them (i think the magazines give them great reviews because spec. pays for alot of advertising with them)

Similar Products Used: ibis mojo carbon (great all around bike) , specialized enduro 05 (weak up hills great downhill ), nomad (great all around bike) , 01 enduro (good bike for 2001)
oscarboy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 16, 2011]
Strength:

very strong with little flex looks awesome handles even better

takes a little time to tune shocks

Fantastic bike all round, light fast strong, goes up well and a demon going down, feels like its on rails, the brain takes all the guess work out once dialed in, retail for it here in NZ is crazy, and could probably never afford 1, if it hadnt been for those great guys at specialized having lifetime warranties on frames id have never experienced it

Similar Products Used: 08 stumpjumper comp 09 specialized enduro
jdmaum1   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, 2x10, suspension, climbing ability, descending ability, cornering, everything

Amazing experience riding the '11 SJ FSR Pro. Solid feel which translates into by far the best feeling I've ever had on singletrack. Im faster than Ive ever been and absolutely love every second on this bike. I dont think I'd want a 29er SJ FSR, maybe a 29er Epic, but this bike is perfect in every way. In my opinion a big improvement over Alum Expert. If you're thinking about this bike vs anything similar get this one, it rocks.

Similar Products Used: SJ FSR Expert ('10)
mitcho   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Material and finish quality, durable, no-nonsence parts, frame design

a bit heavy for 120mm/4.7in travel (front&rear), very sensitive to shock pressure (sweet spot), fork cartridge and rear shock prone to failure

Some minor set-up problems, once you get the shock pressure dialed-in it's no frills from there on. Riding position is a little streched out (I am 6ft, frame size L) and quite high in the front (long head tube), but I had no problems with that even on steepest of climbs. Suspension is very supple, one of if not THE BEST 120mm fork I have ever ridden! In general this bike was very stable and capable descender. On long uphills and out-of-saddle climbs it is not with the best though, because there is always some energy sapping movement in the back even with brain fully 'locked-out'. On the other hand this means you get the best in-set climbing traction on the rear wheel you can imagine.
HAD TO REPLACE fork cartridge 2 times, rear shock 1 time!!!
(Brain function went dead on me). So this means one chilli less for reliabilty reasons in the overall rating.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Epic, Scott Spark, Scott Genius, Specialized SJ FSR 2010 model
goahead   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2009]
Strength:

Looks awesome, light, great climber, great all arounder!

Front Brain Fork I am still not used to

I am late bloomer when it comes to mountain biking (2007 and age 36). Now I am addicted! After having a titanium plate in my face permenantly due to a serious injury when I began, I just can't stop!
I've owned all Specialized products listed above, including 2009 Epic Expert right before selling. I guess I am getting older, so I got rid of the 09 Epic. It was too stiff of a ride. I never got used to it. My life began with 2006 Stumpy FSR Comp. It was such a great starter bike.
Being addicted to this hobby, I found a great seller at Ebay which I paid $2400 including shipping for this 08 Stumpy Pro Carbon (Whatta deal in my opinion). WOW! I am amazed at this bike! It's light, plush, fast, handles great, looks awesome, climbs awesome! It is everything that I have hoped for! Except one thing that I have minor quibble. That Brain fork, I am still tweaking it. I don't know why, but I am having a tough time getting used to it. Okay it is totally stiff when you pedal, but the shock gets active when you hit a bump. But it's got a tiny delay when it gets active on the first bump. I get annoyed with that.
Other than that, it is absolutely a perfect bike!
I could never pay retail for this thing ($5700). It is the best $2400 I ever spent on! (Of course my wife disagrees).
Will someone please post a detailed 2010 Stumpy Pro Carbon review? I wonder how the all new design feels like. Personally I didn't like the design which copied from 09 Epic rear shock location.

Similar Products Used: 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, 2007 Epic Marathon, 2009 Epic Expert
slanard   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2009]
Strength:

Balance, engineering, weight, brakes, shifting, and just about everything else.

Suspension (hard to tune out bob given longs ups/downs in NorCal riding). Captain 2Bliss tires are light and fast but highly prone to pinch/thorn flats.

I damn near died several times after moving to Cali. My hardtail Cannondale simply didn't have enough braking power or performance to handle Bay Area descents. Scars look pretty sweet. So, about a year ago, I not-so-grudgingly opted to switch to full suspension. Conveniently Mike's Bikes was hosting a demo day at Steggs.

Rode a number of high end carbon bikes (couldn't resist and with NO intention of buying) and some middle of the road get-ups. Finally, I jumped on the Stumpy Carbon Pro and my riding life changed instantaneously. The price was a healthy $1000++ over target (bought JUST after launch) but I've yet to sense a second of buyer's remorse for dropping the extra dough. Not sure I can say the same about any other >$1000 purchase in my life.

The Stumpy felt (feels) so much better than other bikes I've ridden. There are solid reviews on MTBR detailing technical advantages but for me, the strongest characteristic comes in its overall balance and feel. Flying up, down, around, and over once-nerve racking obstacles, there's this sense of effortless control. I spent some time riding a Carbon Rush and found it twitchy. I couldn't settle in comfortably, especially during longer climbs, regardless of seat or hand position. The Rocky Mountain Element, by contrast, felt sluggish and reactive. Balance was good at low speed but it failed to inspire confidence at pace. Stumpy tracks straight ahead time and again without then reveals its racing underpinnings when carving up single track or flying downhill. Guess I'd rather drive an M3 than a Ferrari by analogy.

Braking is also exceptional (hardtail has mechanical avids). I literally feel twice as fast on this bike b/c I brake so late into corners and lean so far into turns (rear suspension weight helps here since I’m 190lbs).

It took some time to learns the ins and outs of the suspension settings. Pretty sure I'm still on the 'IN' since I do struggle at times w/ bob under hard acceleration. Other MAJOR complaint comes w/ the tires. It's very love/hate. The last year I've had more flats, including multiple on multiple rides, than the previous five years combined. Hiking miles down some jaw dropping terrain b/c 2nd tube's flat and patch won't hold sucks…sucks a lot. Just switched to Kenda Nevegal 2.1s but can’t yet comment on difference vs. stock Captain 2Bliss.

Bottom line, I LOVE this bike. I’m probably only tapping into 50% of its potential meaning there’s nothing but room to grow as a rider. Thus, it’s worth every penny. OH, and I’ve dropped a good 8 pounds permanently since I ride so much more frequently. Technically, the Stumpy Carbon Pro’s a reasonably priced weight loss program when depreciated over time.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F600, Cannondale Carbon Rush 1, Rocky Mountain Element, Trek Fuel EX9
akrs   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2009]
Strength:

Sick handling, geometry / suspension makes you want to roll over EVERYTHING

Abolutely none - this bike has it all

The AFR does what it is supposed without any fuss, the bike is as confidence inspiring as anything I have ridden. Big fun going up or down