Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert XC Full Suspension

Stumpjumper FSR Expert

RCOSpeedwagon   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2011]
Strength:

Review for 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert:
Handles like a dream. The brain suspension really helps when climbing and opens up when I hit the rocks. The bike makes me feel like a better rider, but I give all credit to the bike. This bike will turn the casual rider into an addict.
The S-Works Purgatory and The Captain Control tires grip quite well and roll real fast.

Of minor importance:
--The brain will take you about a month to dial in perfectly.
--The stock tubeless rim tape is not very durable.
--The Shimano M660 SLX front derailleur seems to be a low level component for this price point, plus the hardware to mount to the frame is a bit akward to uninstall/reinstall.
--The Specialized Format hollow saddle rails make quite a bit of noise.
--The Specialized waffle lock on grips only lasted one season (650 miles).
Of major concern:
--Within the first few months the pivot point bolt nearest to the cassette would repeatedly come loose. After two visits to the dealer, specialized sent a new set of bolts. This issue has not happened again.
--The Custom DT Swiss 330SL rear hub/free hub has given me the most grief. After a season and a half (apx 800 miles) the free hub failed. Specialized sent a new free hub body and paid for the install. At apx 1100 miles the free hub failed again. Specialized then decided to give me a new DT swiss wheel free of charge, which I consider an upgrade.

I would recommend this bike. Even though I've had some issues with the bike, Specialized and my LBS have been cooperative and proactive with solving problems. I have had nothing but top notch service from Specialized for the past ten years.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC
stumphugger   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2011]
Strength:

Climbing
Pedal bob (lack thereof)
Excellent DH handling
Light weight
XC/AM versatility

Slightly lower ground clearance than other bikes I have ridden-have replaced chainrings twice.

I believe that, after riding this bike for three years throughout the Southeast and much of Wyoming, I can provide a fair assessment of its quality.

When I purchased the bike, I was deciding between it and an '09 epic, but decided to go with the stumpy because of the longer travel. 120mm is more than enough for most of what I rode in the southeast for my first two years with it, and I'm sure that the epic would have been a better choice for that region, but I really began to appreciate the extra travel once I moved to Wyoming.

Specialized has really hyped their brain technology since its release, and for good reason, as the bike climbs like a goat. I've never had any troubles with pedal bob, and I can ascend better on this bike than on my two hardtails. But, this bike really shines the brightest on the downhill. It handles like a racecar through the tight and fast singletrack found in my area of Wyoming, and it handles rocky technical sections and hucks of 3-4 feet with ease. I have two buddies that ride Fezzari Nebo Peaks, and though I can generally beat them on the uphill, I consistently burn them on the downhill.

Overall, the bike climbs as well as xc bikes with shorter travel, and descends as well as am bikes with longer travel. Not quite xc, not quite am, its just right.

Similar Products Used: 2005 Trek 4500 Hardtail
2006 Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail
otsdj2012   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2011]
Strength:

Fast, very fast. Efficient pedaler and great handling. Descending. Climbing. It does it all!

None that i could think of. I know some people have had problems with the stock dt swiss 450sl wheels, but they were light and no problems encountered on my test ride.

Having owned and ridden my 2003 jekyll for a while, I was blown away when riding this bike. This thing just shines on flowing or flat singletrack. This thing had scary speed on the descents and flats. Climbing was better than my XC cannondale jekyll. The efficiency and plushness of this machine are two things that really stick in my mind. The Talas is amazing! But this is coming from a guy who rides a low end 2003 lefty fork as well. Bottom line, One ride on this bike was the most fun ride of my entire life. Now it is depressing to ride my 2003 jekyll. This bike begs to be pushed and pushed and ridden hard. When it got pushed i just couldn't stop grinning the entire ride. This will be my future bike one day.

Similar Products Used: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 600, 2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er. Demoed 2011 Specialized Epic 29er comp.
kefli   Weekend Warrior [Jun 13, 2011]
Strength:

Light and Nimble. The brain is now reliable. Fox fork is pretty good too.

DTswiss 420SL. Factory mounted Shimano deore cassette has chewed through the soft aluminium rear hub body in less than 2000kms. (Specialized answer was "tough luck" :-( a bit harsh for a $4000 bike.

Wheelset is pretty weak for an all mountian bike and the cassette and hub are not compatible.

Similar Products Used: Specialized enduro (2001 and 2007)
mtb_rider92   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2011]
Strength:

comfy geometry, stiff frame, yet smooth ride, like the smooth & high rolling front hub w/9mm dt swiss rws qr & rear dt swiss 330 sl hubs, much smooth & responsive brain tech than my 05 epic.

oem tires not as grippy as fire xc pros or kenda excavators, both of which i'm currently using are equally great tires.
slx front deraillur & cassette at this price?!
oem seat is too hard.
dt swiss x420sl oem wheel need constant trueing (as other reviewers have mentioned here and in other forums) for me after about 2-3 rides. replaced w/ mavic crosstrails no problem after 3 rides so far.
avid elixir cr sl oem leaking fluid at the contact pad adjuster (Avid replaced both braked with retail version no hassle - THX great customer service Avid!)
recently discovered 360 degrees (0.5-1.0mm)gap between the fork crown race and lower head tube. this allowed good amount of dirt and moisture w/c developed some rust on the outside of the sealed bearings. also, lower bearing has a click.
i think this is design flaw but specialize claims this is as per designed to drain any moisture that gets trap in the head tube w/c can cause more issue. i compared w/ trek, cannondale no gap like this, nor have i seen one like it on a mtb in my years of riding. 2011 stumpy's now use FSA headsets w/c does not have this gap. so, is it per design now to trap the moisture in that area now? looks like they're going back on their word.
i think they should admit fault and fix this simple issue.

generally speaking it's a good bike, but unfortunately, mixed with some good but lower spec and some sub par components (hate to admit, as some of my friends have warned me).

Similar Products Used: 05 epic
Abs451   Downhiller [Jan 09, 2011]
Strength:

For an XC bike it handles downhills fairly well. It is light enough to climb and haul butt when needed, but strong enough to take abuse when expected or unexpected obstacles arise. one can do more with this bike than thought by the specs and first impression. This great XC also comes in XXL. The brain is awesome in my personal opinion and the geometry can't be beat!

the rear DT Swiss 420 rim has given out and needed replacement. This might be because of my weight (185 lbs), the condition I bought it in (used), or my style of riding. For most the DT Swiss 420 should be fine.

A truly awesome bike that can handle abuse from a 22 year old downhiller. Great climber, descender, and all around bike. Want miles and speed induced fun? Then enjoy the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert!

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Bullit
Jim Hike   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2010]
Strength:

review of 2006 stumpy fsr elite
(for anyone looking to buy this older model full sus. trail bike)
perfect trial bike geometry, balanced, likes to hop over jumps and drops.
great suspension!

has a little bob uphill but stays planted...use talas fork for extended steep climbing. Not super light at approx. 29 pounds.
I would think that a stiffer wheelset would make this great bike even better.

One of the best ever...still.

Similar Products Used: Blur LT is similar ... but completely different ... I got rid of mine.
G   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2010]
Strength:

Great ride, love the fork and suspension and has great adjustability. Brain works well and I like it.

Tires & Rims. Rims are always out of true and the tires suck. Half the grip of my Velociraptors and always getting flats. I've tried them and taken them off for the last time. Prefer Shimano shifter as I'm always hitting these with my thumb and shifting automatically.
Changed over from a Fisher, and I do wish the geometry put my weight back a little more. I lose grip easier on steep uphills endo a bit more coming off smaller ledges.

I love ths bike! I couple small details (tires & rims) create more maintenance than I would like, but it rides great and I haven't had any major problems.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Fisher, Trek, Giant.
mtbctrider   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

light, fast, major travel, can pedal over rock gardens, best bike I've ever ridden.

Triad shock open/pro pedal/lock-out knob swung into lock out mode for some reason.

I've been riding a 2007 Stumpy Pro(with Brain)for four seasons over technical, brutal New England trails. Needed a new bike and had a tough time deciding brain or no-brain. Read reviews below and decided to go with no-brain...Couldn't be more satisfied. Spent way less $, and have more control. Open, closed, or Pro. Not kinda-in-open like with the brain, and I cleared every technical climb in the open position. Also, in "open" you can stay seated and pedal hard through rock gardens...not un-weight the saddle waiting for the brain to react making this a much faster bike. I've done both, love the Stumpy but wont go Brain ever again.

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper Pro, Ellsworth Moment, Giant VT1, Klein Comp.
EAnovic   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2010]
Strength:

I love this bike! Everything about this bike is good!

highly recommended!!!