Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp XC Full Suspension

Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Light on weight but loaded with technology, the Stumpjumper FSR Comp is nimble yet stable, efficient but burly, and ready for virtually any trail.

• Custom Fox Triad II rear shock tackles all trail conditions with its 3-position, on-the-fly adjuster that includes lockout, fully open, and efficient ProPedal settings
  • RockShox Revelation RL 140mm Dual Air fork has Motion Control damping, rebound/compression adjustment, and external lockout for endless rock garden bliss
  • DT Swiss X420SL 24mm-wide rims are sturdy and lightweight - strong enough to handle complex singletrack, yet light enough to make the climb out effortless
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 2.2" front tire works in concert with The Captain Control 2.0" rear tire to deliver exceptional traction for pinpoint cornering and braking in varied conditions
  • Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-free reach adjust for superb control and modulation

GEODIRT   Weekend Warrior [Feb 03, 2014]
Strength:

Bike is stiff and a blast to ride. Very quiet also.

Brakes are nothing special, kind of mushy even after dealer bleed them..

This review is for a 2013 26er by a 200lb 48 yr old single track trail rider who's been falling off mountain bikes on a regular basis since around 1989.

I bought this to replace a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR. What a difference! My 05 never felt "flexy" but when riding this it feels really ridged. A few laps at my usual 10 mile XC loop showed quicker lap times with the same effort/heart rate. Not that it really matters... The bike is just plain fun. I was worried the chain guide/dangler would be noisy but that's the case. Because of the guide and the Type 2 derailleur, the bike is very quiet. A big plus IMO. I changed the seat and put a little taller bar on it to fit me better.

Issues -

Brakes are a bit mushy. They work, but the lever feel isn't really that firm unless I "pump" them a time or two. Dealer bleed them and they are a little better but again, nothing special.

Rear hub felt a little loose after a few rides. I was told it wasn't adjustable, however, I took it apart and it is. Snugged it up (had to open an old, thin Park cone wrench with a file) at it seems ok now.

No real complaints. Looks good, rides good. Would buy again.

Similar Products Used: Haro hard tail, Trek 9000 (elastomer boinger, been on full suspension ever since!), Manitou FS (1995, with rear suspension like a front fork.Elastomer boinger also!), 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
Jaxem   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2013]
Strength:

-Balance/geometry
-Stock components
-Weight
-3x10 drivetrain (i consider it a plus)

-Stock tires
-No command post internal routing like the '12's have

I was trying to get something a little bit more all-rounder coming from an 07 enduro comp, and this thing showed up on craigslist with one ride on it. Needless to say, i'm in love; this bike climbs so much better than the enduro, is much easier to throw around, and yet takes the downhill train portions like a champ. I've yet to make it back to Moab with this bike, so i can't speak to how it handles the huge drops that my enduro was champion of. It definitely inspires more confidence and is more forgiving than the enduro too.

All this being said, it's not perfect (at least in stock form). The captain 2.0 tire it comes with is fast, but not grippy at all, it washes out very easily, and the s-works purgatory, while being okay, was unpredictable and was way too fast on the turn in/bite on the corners, nearly threw me once or twice on the first few rides. A set of Bontrager XR4's fixed the washing issues and made the front much more stable, shortening up the stem got the control just perfect. Add a command post and clipless setup and i couldn't be happier.

I haven't missed the extra inch of travel on the fork from my enduro, and the revelation has been great, though i do miss having the climbing setting that took a couple inches out of the front. The triad rear shock is very cushy on full open, and great all-around on pro-pedal. The lockout works well, though with the pro-pedal i don't know that i'll use it much. The brakes have lots of stopping power, haven't heard a peep out of them yet, and the on-the-fly adjustable levers are nice.

Overall this bike gets a 4.7 out of 5 chili's (rounded up to 5) from me, great riding position, very decent stock drivetrain, and confidence inspiring suspension make this a great trail bike, capable of long XC rides, but a sleeper AM bike at the same time. Just set it up for your riding style and it will reward you with some of the best rides of your life.

Similar Products Used: '06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
'07 Enduro Comp
Nate B   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Geometry, comfort, weight vs. size. 140mm from a trustworthy Rock Shox Revelation RL

Almost $3,000 ?? Price should come with slightly better components out the door. Would be nice for a rear lock out or brain to come on the Comp.

This, so far, has been a phenomenal bike to fly down fast dirt trails with good sized drops and fast climbs. The bike handles great in choppy gravel washes and tight rocky patches. The bike makes me ride faster and gives me a feeling of assurance. If you are looking to change your riding style to a full suspension, then I advise at least renting the bike at a shop and give it a spin for the day. You will fall in love with the way it takes a lot of the hits and makes it completely controllable. The Comp model still functions at a level expected of the bike and components at the lower price point.

Similar Products Used: 2011 Canondale Rize 5
kwsmithphoto   [May 05, 2013]
Strength:

Bike shown above is an older model, see http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp29 for the current spec and pricing ($3000 MSRP).

Tires don't grip very well but they roll well, and the wheels and rims are all tubeless ready. Flexy front fork, grabby brakes at low speeds. Rear suspension could be a little more active.

This is an amazing bike. Great for older riders like me who don't have killer reflexes anymore, because if you miss your intended line, chances are the bike will just roll right over what you were trying to miss! Pretty good weight for a 5" travel bike. Stiff frame, climbs pretty well, descends very well. I thought the width and backsweep of the stock handlebar was a bit much (and it was super ugly) so I swapped it out for an Easton Haven carbon bar. The tires work ok in sand and loose soil but have no clue what to do on something like a fire road. The drivetrain is just excellent, finding the right gear is almost telepathic. Overall it's just an awesome all mountain trail bike, highly recommended!

Lanvillas   [Feb 14, 2013]
Strength:

Fast. Amazing handling in all conditions. Looks amazing. FLAWLESS shifting (unlike any other). Durable.

People like to steal this bike

My review is of the 2000 Amazing bike. The best bike I have ever ridden. Sadly, it was stolen...

Steve   [Feb 06, 2013]
Strength:

This bike has a super sturdy and beefy feel. Downhill you'll go through the bumps like a hot knife through butter~almost : ) I really like the sram shifters and cranks~so the powertrain is really good. Also some of these seem to come with the rockshox, but mine came with the Fox Forks thankfully which do a great job.

Front brake noise issues are pretty bad~On the first few rides I had to deal with this turkey gobbling sound. Some 100 grit sandpaper on the pads and the front rotor seems to have solved it. The saddle leaves much to be desired. Overall the bike rides heavy, but after a few rides you adjust and will be liking the bike more.

This is my first dual suspension bike, so coming from a 97 Rockhopper Comp with about $2k in component upgrades. The FSR is definitely heavier so took me a few rides to adjust to that. Once I got used to the dual suspension differences and adjustments, I wouldn't go back. Definitely plan to lighten the bike up here. Unquesionably will need carbon fiber handlebars, a better seat, and lighter rims....I am very happy with the bike though, and look forward to unleashing its full potential with some upgrades.

smokehouse4444   All Mountain Rider [Jan 18, 2013]
Strength:

Tough, plush, solid, handles well

not much

I have a quick, light, and flickable fully suspended 26er for some stuff, but the 2012 Stumpjumper FSR 29er is my all-around, all-mountain, do everything bike. I have never had a problem with it. It rolls like a plush Cadillac over anything in its path, but still steers well and fairly quick. Climbs way mo' bettah than I can, and can just bomb it on downhill stuff. This is a tough, well put together bike that is a pleasure to ride.

Rockhead   [Aug 29, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortably nimble decender and a fantastic climber. I am a larde-ass at 215lbs and this bike feels great. I can ride technical trails for 2 hours and my back feels great at the end. The 29er wheels roll over the worst root sections and rock gardens.

Seat is horrible; took 20+rides to get used to it; I had to use my old seat for several first rides. The 33 tooth big ring is too small; I swapped it for a 36 tooth and that is much better. I was out pedalling my gears at 33kph and now I can go to 46kph and still pedal.

I am looking forward to swapping out the wheels for faster ; lighter ones and with better bearings. I tried someone elses with upgraded wheels and decided to do the same. The existing ones are still fine;
One thing absolutely for sure; I have a lot more confidence in this bike, because it rolls over everything with ease; technical climbs with loose soil, rock, and roots, the tire stays hooked up. I look forward to rough decents, the stuff that would terrify me in the past. My friends with XC full suspension race bikes are left behind. I always pick a parking area where we have to race downhill back to so that I can take full advantage of the bikes capabilities.

shadowsports   All Mountain Rider [Aug 16, 2012]
Strength:

Build quality, Components, Geometry

Hubs, Climbing ability on extremely steep terrain

My review is of the '11 FSR Comp. This is one of the few bikes I've owned that I didn't feel like I needed to start upgrading after purchase. You get a good component group for the price point. Even the seat is comfortable. The Revelation fork perform well and is nearly as plush as any Fox fork I've used in the past. The rear shock was easy to set up. It soaks up bumps and hits very well. It is very responsive and keeps the rear tire planted for performance and stability.

Like others have mentioned, there is a small tradeoff during steep climps. I have found this easy to overcome with good conditioning and only experience the front wheel coming off the ground (slightly) when super low gearing is used. The geometry of this bike is great. It's design compliments those who prefer to spend the majority of their rides in a more upright body position. This is coupled with good standover height, clearance and reach to the bars when seated. This is likely the most "comfortable to ride" bike I have ever owned. This minimizes fatigue and is important if a days ride exceeds 20 miles.