Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Disc 100 XC Full Suspension

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Disc 100

• Fox Float Triad rear shock
  • External rebound adjust
  • Twin sleeve design for increased volume
  • Compression adjust with lock-out, alloy steerer

Powderbearjeff   All Mountain Rider [Mar 24, 2012]
Strength:

Solid, stable feel
plush suspension

This bike is the reason I wanted to buy a full-suspension bike in the first place... plush, yet stable; well balanced, fun to ride!

Similar Products Used: 2003 Jamis Dakar XLT (FSR linkage)
SenorSerioso   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 2011]
Strength:

2007 FSR Comp is the model I have. Solid bike with plenty of growing room for me. X9 is awesome and I love my hydraulic brakes.

All bikes have an inherent weakness of being sold with tubes. Go tubeless, it rocks.

Sweet ride with plenty of travel for XC riders that can handle jumps, bumps, and single track.

Steve Green   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2006]
Strength:

Sorted geometry, Fox Shock, stock components last a decent length of time

Manitou Black fork, rear shock gets covered in mud

Fantastic all-day bike that's light enough to race on (I compete in Trailquests). The backend is beautiful and plush and the tri-position fox shock does the job. The stock components last well - better than on my last Specialized (A rockhopper) and the Deore Hydraulic Brakes are a huge improvement over the horrible Magura Julies they used to fit (not quite as good as Hope minis though). I never really liked the Manitou Blacks though - they seemed to go staight from being harsh and underdamped to being harsh and overdamped without ever being right. The seals also wore very quickly in the British mud making the front end judder alarmingly under braking. The Marzocchis have transformed the bike, making it feel really balanced. I notice that the latest version comes with fox forks so Specialized may have taken note. The 4 chili rating is for the Manitou - with the Marzocchi its definitely a 5

Similar Products Used: Orange 5, Santa Cruz Heckler
Nate   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2006]
Strength:

Its fairly light for a dual suspension bike. Well specced for the price $3200 AUD. Climbs really well. Downhill its awesome.

None yet.

Having only ridden this bike about a dozen times I can't fault it. I am still playing around with shock and fork settings and pressures but even so its a dream ride.

The perfect trail bike or XC enduro race bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock Uno
steve   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2006]
Strength:

The frames handling and speed on any trail you throw at it.

Screws in the rear D hanger look weak. No actual problems though.

I bought this frame separatly, then built it up with the bits that I had and "wallet emptying" parts I desired. But feck is it a bike and a half.
This bike (in pro-peddle)actually runs flat xc faster than my hardtail. On the first ride I knocked 3 minutes off my fastest time on my local trail and am continuing to beat it. If you add in the speed this bike handles when racing downhill single tracks, then this is one seriously good frame. The lockout even makes cycling uphill tolerable.

Would be 5 and 5, but buying the frame separatly isnt as big a bargain as a complete bike - it just gives you more options!

Similar Products Used: 1st Softtail built and raced
Terrance Hunt   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2006]
Strength:

Awesome Bike. Smooth downhill, great climber. Lock out on rear shock is great. Front shock is equally good.

Specialized seat, seatpost, bars, and stem. Also ditched the headset.

This is a sweet bike. Not a bit of hesitation spending the cash. Its smooth and plush, completely satisfied. Very good quality workmanship. I would definitley recommend it if your looking to buy. They only negative is the Specialized parts I have mentioned.

Similar Products Used: 98 FSR Comp

98 FSR comp
David   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2006]
Strength:

Great frame geometry for climbing and tight, techical trails. Good component spec for the price, pretty light.

LX front derailleur - doesn't shift well under load.

Very happy with this bike. It climbs well, descends well and really inspires confidence on rutted and washed out trail descents. The bike takes a line and holds it. The geometry and handling is much more to my liking than the "all mountain" Reign and, to me, the Stumpy feels more nimble than the Trance on tight singletrack.

The Juicy 5 brakes took a while to bed in - they juddered for a while and I was afraid I might have faulty discs but they have now settled down. The propedal setting on the Triad shock is just right for me - no bob on the uphills and very plush over the bumps.

Similar Products Used: This is my first full suspension bike. Test rode several Giant models Trance and Reign (2 and 3), various Gary Fishers and Treks before selecting the Stumpy.
Patrick Terwedo   Racer [Sep 03, 2006]

great bike

Remco   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2006]
Strength:

Awesome ride. Great Fox fork and rear suspension.

None that I have found so far

I have used the bike several times now on different trails. It is my very first full suspension bike. My previous bike was hard tail. I have done some good downhill riding and it handles very well. The bike is very good for climbing as well. I have not found any weaknesses yet. Since I am new in the area I often take a wrong turn and end up going uphill for a couple of miles. With this bike it is no problem. I find myself climbing these hills much better then my previous hard tail bike. Adjusting the PSI on the front and rear suspension is very easy. I did a little fine tuning and now it rides incredibly well. I find myself on more challenging trails since this bike can do it all. I am 6'5 and about 210lbs. Biking on the XL frame is no issue at all. Overall I am very happy with the bike and would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for a first time full suspension bike. I purchased this bike at River City Bicycles in Portland, OR and they were very helpful. They told me everything I needed to know about the bike and did not mind me asking 1000 questions. They take their time with you to make sure you feel 100% comfortable with the bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign 2, Cannondale Prophet 800
Jason D   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2006]
Strength:

Sweet suspension feel, i have the specialized stump fsr comp w/ the fox float rl 120, feels real nice! been riding some technical single track and never had any problem w/ traction or hopping, i'll be riding this bike for a while

the seat!!! the bars seem a little wide also, might need to shorten them or replace them

Best bang for the buck here, it will need some minor upgrades but nothing real major unless something takes a thrashing! i may change the wheels but other than that i love this bike, getting a new seat!! if you are a new rider, don't spend too much money on a bike, unless you have extra money, the base fsr is more than you'll use, i've got a lot of experience on the trail and i don't need all that this bike has to offer, its fun though!