Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 XC Full Suspension

• Sealed bearing pivots
  • Custom Shimano HollowTech cranks

[Mar 29, 2006]
Ryan Hays

Strength:

The geometry climbs like no full suspension I've riden..of course it has lock-out. The 3.5 inches of travel take big drops very well. The Fox/FSR combo does it all. The suspension works well..even when braking. Most of the original components are somewhere in the hills above Hemet, but the frame remains the same. Could keep going....

The rear derailer hanger breaks/bends to easy...and that goes for all specialized hangers so buy a couple extras.

I will be burried with my Stumpjumper!!!

Remeber Uni-Vega??? Remeber GT ( Not Sold At WAL-Mart )

[Sep 16, 2005]
Eric

Strength:

Perfect blend between XC and Trail bikes; Fox Float w/ ProPedal is super smooth; as an engineer, I can honestly say that FSR is the best rear susp technology for transferring the power to the trail; XTR rear derailleur; very comfy saddle; CF headset spacers (if you're into that sort of thing); Manitou Black Elite fork is pretty nice.

An air-suspension fork would be better; Specialized painted the brake bosses into the frame on the rear triangle (I broke one of them off...); LX/Deore components outside of the rear derailleur and crankset; 31.8mm handlebar (try finding a good, inexpensive stem for that!); no kickstand (jk).

If you don't have a full-suspension bike, but want to get into (rather, on) one, this is the bike for you. Not an all-out XC racer, not a heavier trailbike (a la Enduro); pretty much perfect for riding anything right out of the store. If you're looking for a purebred XC racer, go with a Trek TopFuel or Specialized Epic.

Specialized FSRxc Pro; Gary Fisher Sugar; Specialized Enduro

[Feb 27, 2006]
gtcaz

Strength:

Handles great. FSR works. Fox rear shock is nice. Great value! Adrenaline tires work well.

Answer/Manitou shock sprang a leak. Battleship-gray isn't such an eye-catching color. Rear disc has a bit of chatter/shudder.

This is my first FS bike and I'm having a great time riding it! I do a lot of riding in very rough, rocky terrain (Tucson Mountain Park) and it's nice not feel beaten up at the end of a long ride. Also, the FS allows me to climb rocky, technical trails well because I can keep the rear tire planted.

I'm 6'1" with a long torso and the XL fits me well. All I did was flip the stem over to lower for a more aggressive position.

I'd feel fine racing this bike and am glad I got it over the Epic for the conditions I ride in. If you ride mostly fire roads, the Epic might be better. For rough stuff but with plenty of XC prowess at a good price, the Stumpy FSR is a kick-butt bike.

HT Stumpy. Fisher Paragon.

[Apr 17, 2007]
Todd

Strength:

Efficient climber - surprized me coming from hard tail. Drive train is very smooth and sure shifting. I really like the ride.

Front shock seems to limit the bike's performance - too early to tell about anything else.

This bike is my first FSR and am very happy with the upgrade - and as mentioned, am impressed by the efficiency. I love the bike and cannot weight to test is on the MDH in western ND - great XC trail over 100 miles long (PR plug ;-). This may be the key to doing the trail in one day...

Specialized Rockhopper (historically road rider)

[Sep 23, 2005]
Josh

Strength:

Drivetrain. XT front and XTR rear. Rear shock lockout is great.

This is my first full suspension bike. Coming from a Trek 4500 it is a huge difference. Pedals great! No complaints. I feel like a much better rider on this bike. Riding more than I ever have. $1800 retail and got it for $1300 at year's end. You should buy this if you want a nice XC bike that can take very light freeride.

Trek 4500

[Oct 12, 2005]
Me Myself

Strength:

XTR rear der, weight, disk ready hubs, Triad rear shock, and the price.

Haven't had it long enough to tell but maybe the front fork.

I just got this bike today so I haven't really rode it to much but it seems sweet right now. I'll right a follow up in the spring when I've had a chance to do some trail rideing. Bike on you'all!

A very customized Jammis dakar and I've tried a few others.

[Jan 06, 2006]
Bob C.

Strength:

Lightweight

F$$$ing chainsuck!

OK bike. I'm no pro, but I have to admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I've screwed with the settings on the front and rear shocks and the air pressure in the tires. No matter what when the going gets rough it has a tendency to bounce me off the rocks versus going over them. This wasn't a problem on the Kona Stinky (I know thats a huge 8" travel bike, but I actually ran the race track faster on the Kona Stinky that weighs 43lbs versus the Stumpjumper at 29lbs!). The chain suck is terrible! Don't even attempt to pedal when its bouncy, you'll surely suck the chain. Yes it bottoms out easy when pedalling too. Overall, not so happy. Maybe too much trail for too little bike, I don't know..... The components are superb for the price though.

Kona Stinky

[Jul 29, 2005]
Max

Strength:

This is a great bike, the suspension design is unbeatable for a cross country bike, especaily for the price. The fox float works great, especaily in pro pedal. The entire drivetrain is awesome.

The only weakness ive found is the front fork, its alright but id like to get a better one sometime down the line, but for the price you still cant beat it

Great bike for XC and especaily great for the money!

none, ive only ridden hardtail before this

[May 15, 2005]
John

Strength:

I liked the feel and responsiveness of the ride. The rear shock in pro-pedal was just what I needed. The frame is strong enough to last through a few seasons and offers plenty of room for upgrades

The front fork shock was not so hot. It works okay, but honestly I wasn't that taken with it. The fox fork offered on the other specialized fsr's will be my first upgrade, that with the cassette.

The bike is a sweet ride regardless of the front fork. I take the bumps in the road with no problems what-so-ever. This is a great XC bike. It can handle some downhill, but this is clearly a XC bike of choice.

Cheers!

Giant NRS1

[Apr 18, 2005]
Neal

It might just be me but the stem seems darn short from the factory. My LBS is doing great on helping me find one the right length.

I upgraded from a 91' CoMo RockHopper so really they all were great. I've always loved the Specialized brand so it was natural for me the choose another one. I did look hard at the Fisher but as one girl said while I was demoing the bikes "Get what you want because otherwise you will never be happy" ! Pretty good advice. I never give a excellent rating to anything but this is one sweet bike to me !!!!

Several Cannondales & Gary Fisher Bikes