Specialized Safire FSR Expert Carbon Womens XC Full Suspension

• Headset: 1-1/8" to 1.5" Threadless
  • Stem: Specialized adjustable rise, 31.8mm clamp
  • Grips: Specialized thin lock on grip

June Bug   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2011]

Sweet, nicely balanced ride.

Not enough time in the saddle to tell.

Took this bike for a demo today, and suddenly remembered what is so nice about a true women's specific design done right. I've been riding a Ti 29er hardtail that I really like. However, the Safire is great; I felt right at home & settled back into the zippy 26er groove with no problems. I appreciate that the Safire comes in Large; I'm 5'9" with a long torso and the Large frame was just right.
One aspect that felt right is my position over the pedals. I felt like I could ride the bike in a very efficient way and wasn't just working to push the pedals around. It is subtle, but again, it just feels right.
What else? A very nice, plush ride. So smoooooth.

On this demo, I was accompanying a woman who was on her very first mtn bike ride. She demo'd a Safire medium and did great. I think the nicely balanced ride gave her a lot of confidence.
Another friend (About 5'4") just got her Safire last year; she has ridden and raced a Santa Cruz Juliana full suspension for years, and now loves, loves, loves her Safire as her new race and everything bike.

I'm going to get another demo ride in a few weeks. This bike is definitely worth checking out. Even if you are a tall girl and many "regular" frames may be available to you, don't pass up the Safire thinking it won't work because it is too small. You may find out it is "just right."

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Juliana Cushtail is my only other women's specific bike, but other bikes are Gary Fisher 29er, Titus Racer X, Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29er