Specialized Safire Expert Womens XC Full Suspension

• Crankset: Shimano M762 XT custom
  • Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty custom
  • Saddle: Specialized Women's Ariel MTB

dirtdiva   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2009]
Strength:

changes gears smoothly and without effort. Can ride for hours due to full suspension; disc brakes are awesome; great for girls that like to ride upright.

very expensive!! I bought this on sale for $2200.00 b/c it was the last years demo bike.

This is a great mountain bike for women b/c of its design. Its lightweight for a full suspension bike and its just so easy to ride. All the features on it are good quality. It just fits very well for women who have narrow shoulders and like to sit upright when riding. Very smooth ride even going down on roots and rocks.

mollieeeee   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2008]
Strength:

Fox F120 RLC front fork is like butter. SRAM X-0 rear derailer rocks. Comes with the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat on.

Front derailer is a little sluggish...but I have been told it is operator error. Makes me want to go so fast I crash (although this is a strength)

This bike makes me want to quit my day job.

karen o   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2008]
Strength:

climbs super well
the "brain" lets you adjust when the rear suspension will engage. i think i've got mine dialed in now so that i can't tell it's a full suspension while going up, yet i can ride well and fast down some nasty stuff without coming off my flat pedals.
love the dual adjustable brake levers.

make sure you buy yours in a shop that will take time to go over every single thing that is adjustable to your preference. there are so many things. if the shop isn't giving you the time, go someplace else. this is easily a 2 hour purchasing event, and that's if they only do a basic fit.

i was riding a 2004 specialized stumpjumper women's hardtail when i caught the mountain bike bug bad. i am 5'5" and the women's fit immediately improved my riding over the '97 stumpie i had previously ridden, and only replaced when it was stolen. so when i was looking to go full-suspension, i wanted a fit exactly like the '04 womens' stumpie. i brought my bike into the shop and told the guy if he could make the safire fit exactly like my "04, then I'd buy it. he didn't have the expert in stock, but he must have spent 40 minutes getting the comp fit just right. when i took it out to testride, i was a little disappointed. it didn't feel any different. then i was like "Hey! It doesn't feel any different!!" Exactly! except that i can get over things i couldn't quite get over before, and go down some things i wouldn't have imagined, and generally go faster on everything, the bike feels the same. still climbs like a champ, still feels nimble and compact around corners, owns the bumpy downs. if you're riding any kind of womens' specialized and are looking to upgrade, this bike is perfect.

Similar Products Used: none. i upgraded from a hardtail
Susan Amon   Cross Country Rider [Oct 11, 2007]
Strength:

Great bottom bracket clearence without front end lift! Much lighter than 2007 Stumpjumer FSR Womens expert and geometry of the Safire a much better climber, perhaps the weight or the geometry, I'm no expert. Also, much better feeling of integration in the suspension. I found in the Stumpjumper Womens that if I didn't set the brain just right with the Talas fork, with three lengths, just right I felt the the wheels didn't track properly. All of that is gone with the Safire, it feels like one unit.

The pictures in the catalog do represent the true colors of the bike. I was worried that the red was too red. But the bike I got was a beautiful deep burgendy color. So don't be turned off by the colors you see on the Specialized website or the catalog! Even though I love the colors I live and ride in a bright sunny place and have found that the there is too much light reflection from the burgundy top tube. This an issue I never had with the Womans Stumpjumper 2007 with the bronze and blue color. Oh, and I was suprised the bike comes with MENS Eggbeaters, I was surprised. Those pedals are just too tough to get in and out of and you can't adjust the tension for the average womens wait. Very strange. Just put SPDs of some sort as riders usually swap out pedals anyway. This level of bike should really come with carbon bars and seat post.

The Safire is a great improvement towards truly womens specific bikes. Wow, what an improvement from the Womens Stumpjumper of last year which had to be pried out of my hands I loved it so much. This bike can take anything you throw at it for crosscountry riding. (I don't know yet how it would ride in agressive downhill conditions.) The integrated feeling between the front and rear wheels is quite stunning from last years equivalent bike the Womens Stump Expert. Don't be turned off the color scheme you see in the catalog and online as it is stunning in real life! I highly recommend switching out the alloy bars with carbon and secondly the seat post if you have the money. You just get more of the benefits of the bike.

Similar Products Used: Titus Racer X, Fisher Sugar 2, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Epic, Wicked Fat Chance, and many others..