Specialized S Works Stumpjumper XC Full Suspension

S Works Stumpjumper

XC Trail THE BEST GETS BETTER. With an all-new chassis design that is lighter, more efficient, features a lower stand-over height and the same incredible handling, the completely redesigned Stumpjumper FSR® continues to be best bike for the trails most of us ride, most of the time.

Inside Tech The completely redesigned Stumjumper FSR chassis features an ultra-refined and focused design, one that's been completely integrated with critical suspension components. The top-tube of the new Stumpjumper FSR sweeps down to ensure maximum standover height and boost overall rigidity.

England's Raging Bull   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2009]
Strength:

light, feels great, looks awesome, strong XC machine

Lacqeur is a little bit think on top tube - a small bit came away with bike tape on it....boo hoo.

Moved from the trance X as the frame was a little too small and cramped. Back to Specialized who I have always been loyal to, THIS IS THE BEST THINK I HAVE EVER THROWN A LEG OVER, well apart from this girl who I used to...............

So light, comfy, tough. I often find myself a gear or 2 higher than I would have been on my X0. Nice work!!

You will no regret getting this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trance X0 09, Epic Expert 08, Stumpy Elits 08, stumpy Comp 07, Schwinn Team Homegrown Factory 2001
odxcman   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2009]
Strength:

Light, stiff, efficient, sexy, do it all trail bike.
Brain Technology, FSR

Price is high.

This bike is a do it all trail bike. Sub 24 lbs five inches of travel. Very Fast, efficient, and light weight. This bike has even been raced by pros like Ned Overend and Christoph Sauser when they wanted more travel for technical terrain. The Brain technology is the best part of it all. It has hard tail efficiency, climbs like a mountain goat, and decends like champ. You can adjust the Brain to be softer or stiffer. You can have a super plush ride for maximum comfort and downhilling, or a super stiff xc set-up. The super stiff front end lets you just point and shoot.

FSR technology needs no explanation. There is a reason why Specialized hasn't changed it. I have ridden many full suspensions, and hard tails in my life, and this bike is by far my favorite. It is a show stopper at the trails, and just straight up sexy. Top it off with two inertia valves (Brain), and this bike is the smartest full suspension out there.

You should buy this bike if your looking for a do it all trail bike, and have the bank roll to afford it. Don't buy if your a hater of Specialized, or you want an all out race bike.

ODMAN   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2009]
Strength:

Light, stiff, efficient, sexy, do it all trail bike.
Brain Technology, FSR

Price is high.

Wavey Davey   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2009]
Strength:

Solid Feel, Great looks, Lightweight, Good components, Fast !

Rear Suspension Linkage, Howling/crappy brakes, rear wheel was weak, folded in one week and lots of creakin and crackling. I personally don't like the suspension, or the brain stuff, it does not work, even locked out, doesn't really lock out.

This is for a 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR. First I should say, I ride almost everyday, about 100 miles per week. The bike is good other than the problems I will discuss here. I have had endless problems with rear linkage breaking the upper rear sealed bearings, they're weak. I have had 2 shops try and correct this, and replaced the bearings 4 times and counting and specialized replaced the entire linkage, as well as the brakes to stop the howling, but no luck. There is a inherent flaw in the design of this linkage. When a rider over 200lbs rides this bike, it crushes the rear link bearings, its just a bad design. Also I rode today with completely brand new brakes, calipers, levers, hoses, and it still howls from overheating. Lastly, the rear wheel folded in just one week on a 3' ditch. 4 of my friends also have this bike,and one is 210lbs and his rear bearings broke today (is why I decided to share this story) and the other 2 are 165lbs, and they have no problems with this. So If your light this bike is Great, but if your a clyde, I would look for something else. Specialized claims there is no weight limit, and I asked before I bought it,but I don't think that is an accurate statement. I can't reccomend this bike. For this much money, it should be what they claim, and be flawless. Its good but not great, So only 3 chilis.

roadandtrail   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2008]
Strength:

really nice bike. very light. has a great "made from one piece of carbon" feel.

obviously the price. but thats about it.

i really love this bike. on the first ride, the fork seemed very choppy and disconnected from the bike. but that soon smoothed out and now this bike is nothing but great fun. on my first group ride i was happy to have such a light bike under me.

Similar Products Used: epic.
manuel714   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2008]
Strength:

Responsive and adaptive "Brain Technology" Awesome suspension that really does turn on and off at the right times. Great frame stiffness and very light.

Wishlist would include a 2nd Bottle mount cage.

After 15yrs of cyling, luckly I am good at keeping the rubber side down; however, like all adrenaline addicts I love to "go fast and take calculated chances."

While riding downhill on Meadowwood in Santa Barbara for the first time, I unfortunately had a bad washout in a rock garden. I survived with scrapes and bruises but my 2007 Carbon did not. I am in agreement with Specialized when they say that whether my bike was Aluminum or Carbon it would have been the end of the frame.

Specialized and Rock N Road took great care of me and had me on my new 09 in less than a week, under the Crash replacement program where you pay a discounted price. For this fact alone and the great support I received I reccomend everyone take a look at Rock N Road which is a Specialized Concept Store.

I am still fine tuning everything but I am very impressed with the whole setup especially the adaptive suspension both front and rear. This technology has really come a long way even since my last generation 07 Stumpjumper.

The new tapered steerer tube and 1.5inch headset remind me of the stiffness of my Marzochi Super T fork. There is no chatter from the front while hard braking, and holding a line through rocks and ruts is easier coupled with the fact that the Specialized front suspension does a much better job than the Fox ever did.

One interesting thing I did find quite different from any other bike I owned was that this bikes suspension becomes more supple at speed as it was designed. At slower speeds (even while going through rough terrain) the suspension resists compressing through the five inches of travel.

For Example: You are going down a somewhat steep & rough singletrack and have the option of taking a drop, but you know you will have to lift hard to keep you level. Since the suspension is not stinkbugging on the lip of the drop and your bike weighs less than 25lbs, staying level is much easier.

If you are looking for a bike that does it all from 12/24hr Endurance races to Freeriding with some great jumps/drops and still maintaing 24lbs, you found it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Instense UZZI DH & Tracer, 2007 S-Works Carbon Stumpjumper
bruinbiker   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2008]
Strength:

Super light for 120mm of travel. Better Brain response than previous generations, FutureShock Carbon lowers and the wide adjustability of the front and rear shocks. The Carbon seatstays are also a great touch making this generation feel all the more like a true carbon ride. The integrated front derailer. I'm a light rider but there is no noticible flex except for from my stem and riser. I'm sure the shrinking steer tube diameter helps with this.

I built the frame up with 2007 XTR and the transition was not smooth with regards to the rear brake line hitting and crimping into the Brain cannister. Probably better to have sucked it up and just went for the fuly dressed Stumpy.

A very light All Mountain Cruiser at 23.75 Lbs. Does as advertised...very little "bob" and active on all but the very smallest of bumps. Other than initial creaks and groans that seem to have worked themselves out over the break-in period, the frame has worked better than expected and I am even liking the swoopy look of front triangle now that I am used to it. To be honest, I have had a number of high end FS bikes in the past 3 years and this one is the best. Though they all have their plusses, the S-Works just excels in more categories. One piece of advice is that it seems the components that come on the complete bike are a half pound lighter and ergonomically seem to function with the bike better. If you can afford it, I'd say go with what they are offering.

Similar Products Used: 2007 S Works Stumpjumper, Moots Cinco, S-Works Epic, 2007 S-Works Enduro, etc....
Botanique   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2008]
Strength:

Incredibly light; solid, precise ride; miraculous Brain/Shock technology that REALLY WORKS!!

Never succeeded in mounting tubeless tires on the Roval Tubeless rims. Just would not hold air unless I used a compressor....which I don't usually bring with me on a ride. But the stock tubed tires (The Captain) and Roval wheels are lighter than tubeless anyway...

You don't want to buy one of these in the Eurozone unless you really, really want one and can afford it. With the exchange rate, they are about 700 EUR cheaper in the UK and about $3.500 cheaper in the US.

This bike is perfect for XC racing or for the demanding weekend rider.

But this is just an incredible ride! I can climb anything and come down anything. The solid, precise feel of the ride give lot's of confidence. The Brain system works as advertised. On pavement I can climb standing with ZERO bob from either the rear or the FRONT shock. They just lock right out. Hit the dirt and the suspension is active again. You can dial in as much firmness as you like.

You want a bike that looks right next to the Aston in the garage? Get this!