Specialized S-Works Epic XC Full Suspension

No-holds-barred design, engineering, materials, construction, and specifications combine to make the Epic the only dual-suspension bike to win the World Championships.

• Specialized and Fox blend their brains to develop the FlowControl Mini Brain shock with Brain Fade inertia valve, air spring, and adjustable rebound for World Cup - and local trail - domination
  • Specialized E100 Future Shock fork with 100mm of Brain-regulated travel and rebound adjust is supported by a stiff carbon 1-1/8 to 1.5" crown/steerer assembly for greater steering precision
  • Newly revamped Roval Control SL alloy XC wheelset with OS28 end caps, 142+ spacing, Ti QR, and DT Swiss spokes and internals is insanely stiff, light and durable for greater control and quickness
  • These two world-class and featherlight 2Bliss Ready XC tires work together for maximum speed and control in hardpack or intermediate conditions: S-Works Fast Trak LK 2.0" front, S-Works Renegade 1.9" rear
  • Specialized FACT OSBB carbon crankset with ceramic bearings is paired with a SRAM XX spider and 39/26t rings to create market-leading stiffness-to-weight for the ultimate power transfer
  • Custom Avid XX World Cup R magnesium body brakes feature tool-less reach adjust, alloy-backed pads, and carbon levers with titanium hardware for ultra light and modulated braking power

Fred Jorgensen   All Mountain Rider [Feb 12, 2013]
Strength:

Brain! It just works!

That the 2009 version is a 26er!

Got a 2009 frame and added a Crest 27.5 front wheel and a 120 mm SID fork.
Wow! What a difference! The efficiency of XC, lightweight climbing and sprint, and all mountain
descent. I also have the standard 2009 configured EPIC for comparison, and the hybrid
wheel size makes it a really fun, fast trail bike, but the standard 26 inch version is faster
in pure XC terrain!

Similar Products Used: S-Works EPIC 26, Scott Spark Pro 29 RC, Intense Carbine 27.5
Ratatoouie   Cross Country Rider [Apr 21, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, stiffness, good descender

Brain, Brain, Brain!

Brain only good in smooth terrain, totally ineficient suspension on technical terrain! Definetly not a great bike for $8000.

Similar Products Used: Giant anthem, SC Blur XC, Gt Marathon Team, Trek Top Fuel, Stumpjumper.
aaron6614   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2010]
Strength:

Great bike when it works and isn't cracked.

Brain and frame reliability and Specialize's Customer Service/Warranty. Between my 2009 and 2007 Epic S-Works, I have had 7 replacement Brains. My 2009 only had 500 miles and I was on my third Brain when my frame cracked. My frame cracked in two spots (down tube and seat tube) and being the frame is strictly used for XC riding and I'm only 160lb., I found this odd. The down tube could have been caused by a rock flying up, but the seat tube crack was simply a failure in the carbon weave. In the end, after 4 months and little help from the dealer I purchased the bike, Specialized is willing to sell me a crash replacement frame for a bargain price of $2200. I now will have a $10K+ slighly used 2010 S-Works Epic that I cannot wait to sell. I'm actually sad, since I have been a huge fan of Specialized for the past 4 years, but this experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth. In the past 4 months I have sold my 2007 Epic Sworks, 2008 Stumpjumper HT, 2010 Epic 29 Marathon and will be selling my 2009/2010 once I get the frame back from Specialized. I would only recommend this bike if you have lots of money and enjoy dealing with the IRS...I mean Specialized.

An Epic Dissapointment!

Similar Products Used: 2007 S-Works Epic
fredjjjj   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2009]
Strength:

Amazing XC race bike.

Major rear shock reliability problem

Brain-shock have been replaced 3 times.
Warranty is quick, but definitely a serious
design issue.
Not a product for single bike owners.
When working it's an amazing race bike for
acceleration, light weight, front and rear stiffness,
and active suspension when needed.
The happiness it brings, is well worth the high price!

Similar Products Used: S-Works EPIC 2008, 2005, and S-Works Stumpjumper
bikerides4u   Racer [Jul 16, 2009]
Strength:

Nice and light ! Easy to ride . Minimal Exersion Total ! M.E.T.! Fun to ride ! Bike will not beat you to death . Handles like a Mercedes !

Max rotor size on rear 160mm

This is an expensive bike but worth every red cent ! These bikes have been used by professional racers for years . But if you got the dough this would burn up the trails and leave your buddies behind ! Up grade this from an already super fast stock and you got a scary scary scary fast lighting fast light as a feather bike ! I like this bike better than any bike I have ridden !

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse Sunday , Stumpy Expert , Scott , Giant XTC II , Rush , Trance , Bullit and Gary Fisher
badripper   Weekend Warrior [Jun 14, 2009]
Strength:

Works as advertised, when it is working.

Although I have only had this bike for six months and it has less than 500 miles on it, I have had three brain shocks fail on me. These shocks have all failed at the point where the hose for the inertia valve meets with the main shock body. I was previously a huge fan of Specialized and have almost exclusively ridden their brand of bike since 1991. The new Epic has been a surprising disapointment to me. I would not recommend this product to anyone until Specialized gets the kinks worked out of its newly redesigned brain shock.

An Epic failure.

milesdobson   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

awesome speed, incredible rigidity, lightweight

squeeling from avid juicy ultimate disc brakes, but thats all at moment

The difference in performance from my older Klein set up is simply phenonemal. The tightness of the bike and the workings of the brain shock system, which although I was a little skeptical, I am now in awe of. No requirement to lockout, no need to think of the shock system, 100% transfer of energy into propulsion, it simply works as is intended. Looking forward to seeing if the system has a decent life to it, however all appears robust (and I am no lightweight at 110kgs). Difficult to put a value on a $7000 bike, other than the level of new technology in the S-works supports the cost, IF you can/wish to afford it. Faultless apart from the squeeling brakes.

Similar Products Used: 2001 klein mantra
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

this is the fastest bike i have ever rode. y0u become one with it. just enough suspension to go very very fast. climbing is incredible especially in rocks due to added traction.

too many moving parts but this is my first fully. i havent had the first problem with this bike. there is no weakness to this machine

this is the ultimate riding machine-- bar none. the brain works and you dont even realize it. you just go fast as you want. it climbs great and desends equally well. the bike feels like its on rails and tracks like nothing else. the carbon crown of the fork is a great addition since its stiffer than your average noodly sid fork. when i saw this bike i knew i had to have it no matter what the bidding went up to. you can even check it out at photo bucket dot com user bikingbachelor. you cant go wrong with this bike

Similar Products Used: none
L Steely   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2004]
Strength:

Precise handling, auto lockout on shock

little heavy compared to a hardtail...tendancy for chain suck...

I had been a hardtail snob for years--I tried a 2000 Stumpy FSR and found it to be too flexy and the Racer-x while quite nice just didn't do what I wanted which was be a 'hardtail' when I wanted and have some travel to take the edge off of the bumps. After a test ride on an Epic Disc I was sold. I waited a year for the 'bugs' to work themselves out since it was a new product and my wait was worth it. I ended up with a Silver anodized frame and an adjustable shock. I noticed immediately that the handling was greatly improved over my 98 Sworkx HT due to head tube angle and that the riding position was so much more comfortable. It took a while to get the shock dialed in for my taste and "learn" how to ride a full bounce machine,but now it climbs great, handles like a dream, and looks great. As built it comes in just under 25lbs which is not bad considering I built it up with a FOX 100mm fork -which is an amazing fork-and slime tubes. The only issue I have had, and I have noticed many other Epic riders seem to have as well is chain suck on the front even with a new XTR chain and yes, it has been adjusted many times and is properly lubed...the clearance between the big ring and the chain stay is tight and I ended up ruining one chain already because of this. If anyone has figured this out please let me know. Other than this the bike has been a blast and will be seeing many miles this year in the 24 hour races. Who should buy it? If you can afford to drop 4K plus on a bike, do it and enjoy. If not there are some awesome Epics that will do it all at a lower tag (I admit, I am an Sworks snob). If you are a XC rider that wants to take the edge off and want a 'light' bike that will also handle some good size bumps and drops (I mean stuff in the 18-24 inch range) this is the bike...and lstly if you just want just about everyone else to point and envy, this is definately your bike...I am starting to get tired of the compliments and questions they becoming so frequent.

Similar Products Used: Epic Disc, Titus Racer-x, Stumpy FSR
jim   Racer [Jan 31, 2004]
Strength:

Suspension is not affected by rider imput, active braking, laterally rigid, reliable, feels fast

price, I wish it weighed 4 lbs.!, plain anodizing with outline lettering

This is the first time I've bought the same bike twice in row. I usually try to upgrade or buy something new. I had an'03 which proved to be a great bike. After a year of racing, I took apart the rear end, the sealed rollerbearings were dry, but I just greased them and they are fine. Absolutely no play, and still smooth.

This is by far the most reliable bike I've owned. I really didn't like the black though, so I sold the frame and got a '04 silver one. It is indeed 1/2 lb. lighter (5.6 lbs on the shop scale). I switched from a Sid World Cup to the Fox, so I gained back that 1/2 lb. The fork is a perfect complement.

I can't really tell a difference between the new and old shock, but I've been riding in cold weather and probably focused on the amazing fork's performance. I'm usually sensitve (anal) about such things, so I'm surprised I can't notice a difference yet.

Note, it would not be my first choice for a sit down trail/ play bike. The Enduro is better suited for that, I think. It is a great woods bike, though, it turns and climbs so well. But, it is not a plush easy chair. Think: taught sports car, not SUV. I can't imagine a better race bike unless they could build it even lighter and still keep the reliablity.

Bottom line,its a hardtail that absorbs bumps like a trail bike. Built, it is 23 lbs with no stupid light stuff. I don't understand all the controversy the Epic generated last year, it really performs as advertised.