Specialized S-Works Epic Carbon Disc XC Full Suspension

• Crankset: Shimano New XTR, Hollowtech II arms
  • Seat Post: Thomson, 7000 series aluminum, 2-bolt adjust
  • Saddle: Specialized BG Rival, Titanium rails

eattheroadrunner   Racer [Feb 02, 2011]
Strength:

Fantastic race bike when it's not broken!!! Best climbing bike ever ridden and handles beautifully. However...

This is the fourth warranty frame I have had since 2006. Three future shock inners and three rear shocks replacements (separate occasions), and two rear carbon triangles. I initially thought it was me, and then realized many other people have had similar issues.

Great bike when it works, however, it has been in parts for the better part of 2-3 months a year. Fortunately, Specialized always warranties the parts, however, it is unfortunate that their product requires constant replacing. Furthermore, international assistance is sluggish (to be kind), 3rd rate and unacceptable. I love the bike when it works, just be prepared to spend more time on the road bike :(

Similar Products Used: 2006, 2x 2008, 2009 S-Works Epics, Anthem, Trance, Stumpjumpers...
onza   Racer [Nov 13, 2010]
Strength:

Handles like on rais, climbs like a hard tail, descends WAY better than I expected, handles singletrack perfectly! Way light, stiff, agile...the PERFECT XC F/S race bike!

ZERO weaknesses!

I can't believe the guy gave me this killer bike (couple months old) for the price, but...Thanks dude! This bike is intended to be a XC race bike...or a bike to use when you ride with your FAST buddies! I use my Pivot Mach 4 otherwise...Love both of them. The Epic with it's shock brain and fork brain do EXACTLY what they were built to do! The only problem I had were the Avid XX brakes which were quickly replaced under warranty...not the fault of Specialized. Also, I just leave the suspension in next to the firmest mode and never have to change it..."Set it and Forget it". Well done Specialized!!

Similar Products Used: Epic Expert, GT, Ellsworth and another favorite of mine...Pivot Mach 4
acesEPIC   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2010]
Strength:

Coolness factor, even after 3 years. Efficient FSR rear suspension, when the rear Brain shock is set correctly, this bike absolutely climbs either standing or sitting. Specialized really stands behind this carbon frame since its backed by a lifetime warranty.

I really still can't find any after 3 years. Well maybe the original XTR rear 140mm rotor didn't provide as much braking power as I'd like.

Back in 2007 I decided to buy what I thought was the most efficient in rear suspension technology. 3 years later I'm still happy with how this bike climbs. 100mm of travel is great for XC, but I guess I'm on the more aggressive XC end, but the Epic gets it done. I like challenging super steep technical climbs where I need to stand to make it. The SWorks Epic's carbon frame is stiff allowing power to be delivered to that rear end. With the rear Brain set
just right this bike almost locks out the rear end when standing. I can still feel the rear end allowing small bump absorption. In fact I'm beginning to think this bike out climbs my hardtail titanium framed 29er, because of the efficient rear suspension. Inherently, it climbs well as a sit & spin'r. I really only feel that rear suspension bob a little when I'm in the big ring on the road going to & from the trails.

April of 2009 I rode the SWorks on the main trail of Moab. This was the ultimate test for the carbon frame, but Moab had nothing too hard for this bike. Even with the rear brain dialed about 2 clicks in from full SOFT the rear end never felt mushy with all that climbing. I usually ride with the Brain at full hard or 2 clicks out from full hard.

The overall ride & control really improved when I upgraded to the Ritchey WCS 10degree flat bar at 670mm width & SWorks Captain 2" tyres. I run the tyres at about 25# front & rear. This provides great overall traction & prevents pinch flats even at 190# full battle rattle. The ride would be even better if I went tubeless, which I just havn't taken the time to do yet. I'll use Caffe Latex from Mariposa Effetto, Stan's is ok, bad for the aluminum rims tho...

It's really a toss up which bike I want to ride/race, either my SWorks Epic or my Titus Fireline 29r. The Epic is the more comfortable of the 2 & probably faster when the trails get rough.

Next step, I'm going to run Ashima 160mm rotors to shave weight, as well as, a KMC 9SL gold Ti Nitrided chain. Maybe an Eriksen Ti seatpost, an Extralite stem, Extralite seatpost clamp to shave weight.

I was lookin to build a Titus titanium Rockstar 29r, but the SWorks is still great. So I'm going to save that project build money for a new Dodge truck! The SWorks will look great in the bed of the Ram.

Similar Products Used: circa 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler for work
aglobalnomad   Racer [May 06, 2009]
Strength:

Light, well balanced, snappy, integrated XTR front derailleur, and stiffer steerer/ front suspension.

None yet

The bottom line is Specialized as a company is amazing! I had a 2008 Epic and due to a crack in the bottom bracket they warrantied the frame and sent through an '09 loaded with a new carbon front fork, XTR derailleur, and rear brain (the turn around was 5 working days, and I live on a island in the middle of the pacific!!!). As you would expect; a company that produces carbon product should look after their customers and they really do!

The bike geometry is so similar to the previous 08 model that it fits almost the same. The feel of the bike, however is significantly different. The previous bikes were great; but the weight saving benefits from carbon rear triangle and steerer are noticable and I believe from the factory the bike is 2-3lbs lighter. This savings is huge and coupled with the stiff frame, what an improvement! The change in the brain shock location to under the top tube shifts the balance forward and evens out the front and rear, this will take a bit of getting used to, but should be alright.

Even though the wheelbase is only 6mm shorter it's noticeable around switch backs and speedy winding trails. I've yet to ride on super fast gravelly downhills, but sure that'll be good too. The increased maneuverability could also be attributed to the stiffer oversized headtube and steerer. I'm also super stoked with the integrated XTR front derailleur; it's so much smoother than the previous set up.

All is all amazed with the Epic and with Specialized, they really look after their clients and riders!!!

Similar Products Used: 2008 Epic S-Works
2007 Epic S-Works
cweb   Cross Country Rider [Dec 13, 2008]
Strength:

Light, good looks, components that just work

Brake noise

Rode a Trek 9800 carbon hardtail in the 90's and loved that bike. Built a custom GT LTS 2000 in late 90's. Loved the full suspension, but not the weight. Pined for a fully suspended carbon bike then saw the 08 epic carbon and it was love at first sight. Found a close-out 08 at good price, still expensive but even from the first ride in the parking lot sold me, the bike just felt right. Rode it in the fall of 08 about 3 to 4 time per week. Verdict, I love this bike. Fast, quick, point and shoot agility, climbs like a hard tail. Ridden allot of tight single track this fall and can't wait for spring to get it on some fire roads as this bike flies. Bottom line, if you can find one left buy it as the 09 is listed at 8800 bucks. Best bike I have ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: none
miguelsa   Racer [Sep 29, 2008]
Strength:

excellent climber, feels agile and in control on climbs, looks trick

rough over rockie terrain when not perfectly set

10kgs large bike that climbs like a goat and can be ridden fast downhill, best racing bike ever had

Similar Products Used: epic sworks 2004, turner flux
MEidne   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2008]
Strength:

I rode the Cape Epic on this bike. The Cape Epic is the largest stage mountain bike race in the world. It was 966km long with 18000m of climbing ridden over 9 days. The terrain ranges from dirt road to seriously hectic jeep track to single track. The bike performed flawlessly, I did not have one mechanical for the whole race. This is the best bike I have ever ridden, it is light, provides a solid climbing platform and is super fast downhill. Its precise handling saved my ass many times. I set the brain shock on the softest setting and there was still no bounce even when hammering out the saddle on climbs. The quality of the frame finish is very high and the bike still looks brand new even after all the training riding and nine intense days of racing. Even though the bike is a full racing rig it was still comfortable after 10 hours in the saddle. After all the riding it still gives me a thrill to ride it.

The brain shock needed to be replaced due to a factory fault otherwise none.

A dream bike that has lived up to its pedigree. Best bike I have ever owned and ridden.

Similar Products Used: Gaint NRS, Gary Fisher Cake
fredjjjj   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight, Brain shock, stiffness, no vibrations!

Layback seatpost prevents full drop. Magura brakes run
smoking hot, but no fading!

Superb racing bike. You can dance through the rock gardens
and ride 'hard tail' up the hills.
Kudos to Specialized switching from Shimano to Magura/SRAM.
Re weight, I don't see how you can get much below 24 lbs with pedals and decent tires.

Similar Products Used: S-Works Enduro, S-works Stumpjumper, Specialized EPIC 2005
(aluminum). Rocky Mountain ETS-X
John Williams   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2008]
Strength:

Weight and great set up

The "Brain" has a low IQ it has been redone twice and now I have an 08 on it. The only issue is what to do when this part is out of production?

Ok I got a smoking deal on this bike and that is why I got it. Plus I was on a 34 lb bike and well... just could not get up the hills like the xc boys on a AM bike. So as i do little DH and more XC it was time to find a bike that would give me the best push, and try a 12 hour race. This bike is it. Some shops talk down on the bike, it cost to much.. other bikes have more bang for the buck. well i rode the yeti 575 carbon, and I dont like the seat post set up, and well the fire red color kinda did it for me to tell the truth. you have to like what you ride and not only can this bike ride well, shift well, climb, DH is ok, and jump well it is a looker. I am the kinda guy that will buy in a blind test what is best and you want a XC bike that is hands down the best I have ever been on well this is it..