Specialized FSR XC XC Full Suspension

Elvis   [Feb 01, 2016]
Strength:

Good sus design, lockout, handling.

still heavier than hardtail

for those who complained of busted hubs and wheels... a lot of these need adjustment (unless they are certain kinds of sealed bearings). I have seen expensive road and mountain bikes of all brands need work like this. It is often due to the fact the bearings in the hubs were never adjusted during initial assembly. That's what cone wrenches are for. Before you buy, take the front wheel off and turn the axle by hand. If it feels gritty the hub wasn't adjusted and probably neither was a lot of other stuff!

Remember, almost all these bike companies outsource the actual construction overseas... the main difference between bikes is the quality of shop assembly where u buy!

Similar Products Used: Giant warp, airborn, several cannondales
alfgonloe   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2010]
Strength:

Great Fork and rear shock w/great lockout on both.Juicy 3 breaks are awesome! Incredible bike for the price. Climbs very well. Good looking bike, I have the FSR XC Comp 2009 in black (It is the exact same setup for 2010, only the colors change).

A little on the heavy side, but who cares, isn't exercise the point?

At first I thought I had a malfunctioning fork, when I locked it out and put my weight and pushed down on it, it would still move about an inch. I called the LBS and they told me this was a normal threshold in case you forgot to take of the lockout upon descent, it is designed to prevent damage to the fork. This also applies for the x-fusion rear shock (it moves about 1/2 inch). This also improves traction on ascents. I love this bike!! I will never go back to hardtail!

Similar Products Used: Although I have ridden other FS bikes, this is my first FS.
scout_about   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2009]
Strength:

Good shock travel. Smooth shifting. Great breaks. Tires grip well.

I was skeptical if I would notice a difference from my GT. I power through parts of trails I would have to stop for or fall off from with my old bike. There are some drops that it has tackled well. I weigh 245 and it handles my size well. No issues thus far. It is a great bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: GT XCR 5000
Adam Romero   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 2009]
Strength:

Light, Responsive, Great Bike For The Price

Few issues with the components...but that can be changed up

You get what you pay for most of the time, but in this case, I've found that you get a little more. I love this bike. I had a Kona Bear (Same as the Dawg) back when I was pretty heavy (317 lbs) but I have since joined the Marine Corps and lost quite a bit of weight and had my Kona stolen so I figured it was time to get a new bike. After looking around for some hard tails, the bike guy pointed out the FSR and I fell in love with it. I was only planning on looking at bikes for me and my wife but after seeing it and test riding it we ended up grabbing the FSR for me and the Myka version for my wife.

Similar Products Used: Kona Bear
tturbotom   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

after two years I am left wondering what the strengths are

wheels, rear bearing, rear shock link, frame!

After one year I had to relace the rear wheel do to several broken spokes, even on smooth roads. I also replaced the free hub after about 1 year. Just prior to the two year mark I replaced the wheel set do to a blown out rear hub. About a month later the rear shock link cracked in half at the weld (covered under warranty). About a month later the shock link bearings busted, even though they were just replaced when the shock link was. A couple weeks ago I noticed that the frame was crack at the bottom side of the top tube near the forward weld of the rear shock mount (covered under warranty). Surprisingly the front fork and cranks are still working fine.

I am a big guy and ride semi-aggressive XC trails. This bike may be a perfect fit for a light weight person that rides smooth trails. Just not the right bike for me.

robtkd1   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

all of it!

none of it!

This bike is sweet! I bought it today and i love it already! It's a bit pricey but it's a fantastic ride. I love the lock out suspension. I ride to work so i should have gone with a hard tail, but at the weekends i fly through the woods so i wanted full suspension. With the lock out i get the best of both worlds. it climbs like a goat and is fast. I like the colour scheme as well. Blue and silver! SWEEEEEET!

Similar Products Used: '97 hardroxk
Brent Thompson   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Full suspension, sturdy frame, nice gear ratios, easy to upgrade.

None I have found

I biked a lot in college but rarely since then. I had an old hard tail but I demo'd this bike and took it home the same day. My wife has the xc comp. We do a lot of old logging roads and numerous trails. Nothing too hard core but 6-7 mile descents are not uncommon so I am getting disc brakes. This is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek
Mark Calica   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

Quality, looks and Im just a hardcore Specialized rider.

The weight. I came off of a specialized hardtail but I do understand that FS are always heavier. But overall not much.

This bike was like a dream to ride. All the components works like a dream. Except for the rear shocks and the front forks, not the greatest but works fine for now and soon will be upgrading with all Fox suspension. All the trails that I used to go through were hard with the hardtail, but now there just so comfortable and easy to go through. If your looking to get into an FS bike look into this, and you wont be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale prophet, and Specialized Enduro.
grant   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2005]
Strength:

Great overall feel and handling capabilities. Soild performer. Good components for the most part.

Front shock. No disc brakes.

I love this bike! Handles like a dream for a one grand full susser. Well balanced and tight in the turns. I can't even begin to take this thing to its limits. ( I'm over 40 and don't do the crazy hucking stuff, just mountain and fast XC riding). 4 foot drops, big rocks and roots are nothing for this bike. Components are good. Shifting is smooth and accurate with the front Deore and rear LX when adjusted correctly. The Shimano LX rear mech took a beating when a branch ripped my hanger in half. Sunshine put it back on with a new hanger and its still as good as new. I wish it had discs, but the V-brakes do a good enough job for me tho. It rode pretty well with the Manitou Axel Comp fork but its a lot more plush with my new Marz MX Comp. Frame feels really stiff and strong with no flex at all.
The X-Fusion rear shock works really well for a budget 6 and a half incher, even without rebound adjustment.
The only issue I have is that the FSR XC Comp would be a better deal price-wise. For only $250 or so more, you get a better front fork, disc brakes and a Fox rear shock. This doesn't matter to me personally cuz my upgrades will be better anyway. I would recommend this to anyone seeking a good lower priced full sus. bike. Easily upgraded to Stumpjumper status, but a great bike right out of the shop too.