Specialized FSR XC Pro Disc XC Full Suspension

FSR   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2011]
Strength:

Very light weight bike, great for a cross-country set up, and matched with 2009 Rock Shox Reba 29, the bike can handle any bump, be it big or small

Probably not the best idea for a jumper

Great bike with any setup, just be prepared to want to ride it everyday and to spend a bit of money to make it the best bike it can be!

Similar Products Used: Giant Trance
irun22fast   Racer [Dec 11, 2009]
Strength:

Good quality pivots and tubing. Frame seems smooth and tracks well downhill and over techy climbs. Can be built up to be pretty light without a ton of cash. Adjustable travel on rear shock is nice.

Slight pedal-bob when really getting on it (like in a short-track race). I don't really like the headset (only thing that's still stock now anyway).

I can get this bike under 25 pounds and I have about $2000 retail dollars in it (most stuff was not purchased at retail). Right now with heavyish tires and no fancy drivetrain bits its at 26 pounds. I have raced it pretty hard and ridden hard enough to really crash this thing at speed. I feel like the bike would track better on downhills if I could switch the Float R shock on and off propedal, but it is on the list still to upgrade so I may have to report back if I end up setting that up. I raced a shorttrack race on it and found it to be not quite as quick as a giant Anthem X I demoed on the same course right after, but since the Anthem is around $2900 I guess thats to be expected. I think its a great casual racer. Die hards will probably think there are better pure racing machines, but if you want to do a little of everything on one bike this could work for you. I'm running it a 8 hour race this June so I should have a good idea of its real limits by then.

Similar Products Used: Scott Spark with full XTR, Rockhopper hardtail, Giant Rainier Hardtail, GF Cake, Diamondback hardtail, 2007 Stumpy comp, Giant Anthem X (demo).
darrinw2001   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2009]
Strength:

2008 FSRxc Pro model is what I have. light weight, nice components with the Reba SL dual air fork, Fox triad shock.

The rear triange has cable rub HOLE where rear brake cable touches, it actually ate through the metal completley. Found this after I bought it and took to the bike shop for a tune up. also a couple of good nicks in the aluminum from light crashes. the rear triangle seems very soft metal to have these issues this soon.

This bike is light and fast and hadels well over all. For the price I paid for it I an happy.

had to find updated air PSI setting information on the Fox Triad II shock as the settings in the book were wrong. They updated information to make the psi equal to the riders body weight, but I had to search for that info on the Specialized website after learning the settings in the book were not working right (tons of pedal bob).
The rear triangle seems very soft as the above mentioned cable rub hole is a cause for concern on a 2 year old bike, that is why I lowered the overall rating. I have put a chainstay protector on the other side to help with this problem (I hope).. If I were the original owner I would send it in for warranty replacment, but since I bought it used I cannot. Anyone who has this bike make sure you check the rear brake cable area on the triangle for this problem.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Cake 2
Robert Fulton   Racer [Jun 06, 2008]
Strength:

climbs exceptionally well, very light and fast, sus works well together, nimble

gearing different than my hardrock-just takes some getting used to, tires flat easy but grip great

excellent xc racer, very responsive and quick. I'm a big racer(6'3" 240lbs)and have yet to bottom out and have had no problems with the pedals hitting anything. Just make sure the suspension is pressurized properly for you weight and you will be fine. The bike is taking all the abuse I can dish out-DURABLE! This bike climbs like your being towed uphill and makes single track smooth as butter; surprising for my size and weight.

Similar Products Used: hardrock, epic
Darol   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

Rode many bikes and this was best for me. Triad rear shock rules. I'd have liked an air front and it now comes with one in 06.

I nicknamed the seat "Satan's Codpiece" replaced it with WTB Rocket. Local dealer warranty support sucked when I had a chain jam resulting in derailleur breakage. Had to shell out $100. Wrote to Specialized but no word back as yet.

I love the bike. Didn't like dealer support after the sale on my warranty issue. What's the point in buying new if it's just like buying an e-bay bike?

Ernesto   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2007]
Strength:

This bike rocks!! Best deal for a full suspension bike. I've tested it on all the major trails in Florida and it has been solid and true.

I haven't found one yet.

This is the best buy for your buck. Full suspension, disc brakes, and a lifetime warranty on your frame for about $1,500. 2nd Specialized bike and still true.

scott newell   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

over all good bike fast stiff when you need it to be not much drag at all unless your dragging your own ass....

the tires the specilized tires suck they get flats every time out. nothing some WMB tires can fix..i even put those tires on my hardtail still flats. garbage....

great bike i would tell someone to get this bike. and for the pedals hitting the ground once i can recall the pedals hitting the ground but i was because i had the pedal down when i was turning. maybe their shock is not fully inflated to their weight requirement.

Similar Products Used: gt zasker team from when gt was still gt.... great bike light rock shox sid xc nice and stiff just how i like it but good on hard hits.... very light bike
Rui Silva   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2006]
Strength:

Very nice frame, good geometry and beautiful fox rear suspension. Stable on descends and climbs extremely well. A very well balanced bike.

Very well balance bike.

Similar Products Used: Hardtail bikes
rossi meh   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2007]
Strength:

light, true, sleek, handsome, focused.

pedal bottoms out and hits ground

once i got the shock and forks to the proper psi rating the bike handled a lot beter. i'm quite a heavy rider at 90kgs, but the FSR takes all the punishment i can throw at it. it's very well behaved. the back end feels planted on loose stuff and the recon 531 sl fork holds true, tracks very well and makes the bike go wherever you point it. my bike came with avid juicy 5 brakes, which are astonishingly progressive and effective at high speed with no discernible fade whatsoever even after a whole day of being punished in all weather at the world class glentress trail center in bonny scotland. the only downside is the pedal clearance on climbs and bumpy ascents. i find myself paying far closer attention to trail obstacles such as rocks than with previous bikes due to the FSR's penchant for bottoming it's shimano spds out on any boulder bigger than your average potato. the tri position fox triad rear shock is very well matched with the rockshox recon front end and this makes for a very safe-feeling, sensible, fast and smooth ride. i love my FSR! i've never had a specialized bike til now having always been a gt fan, but i'd definately reccomend the FSR XC PRO. weekend trail riders who are more into all day epics than 10 foot hucks would get the best value from this dedicated, focused and driven xc bike. The rest of us would simply meet our own limits before finding the bike's.