Specialized Epic Expert Carbon XC Full Suspension

• Handlebars: Specialized XC low rise 31.8mm bar
  • Chain: SRAM PC-971
  • Saddle: Specialized XC MTB

Devastazione   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2014]
Strength:

Fast,improved comfort on 2014 models over previous years models,efficient,Brain gets better every year,OEM carbon rims !!

Paint chips out of the box,Specialized red's paint it's said to be fragile and I can tell it's true,warranty requested. SLX shifters are a waste of time, so is the Sram 1050 cassette. Price,but you get what you pay for and the Expert is still the best bank for the buck Epic. Weight is 11.8 kg size L with pedals,managed to drop 500gr but that did not come cheap.

The 2014 Epic is an entirely new bike. If you're looking for the good old race bike Epic go for their World Cup models,if you're looking for an insanely fast although plenty efficient and comfortable bike get the standard Epic. My LBS offered me the WC version but I'm glad I did not take the plunge on it. Rider position is now almost on par with my Stumpy FSR,incredibly comfortable. Pleasantly surprised by Magura brakes. The Epic to me is the total bike.

Tommy Leopard   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2013]
Strength:

This bike is everything I wanted it is light, fast and takes a beating. Two trip though backwoods of Colorado mountains and forest roads. This bike never let me down. Had some noise in the bottom bracket took my bike shop about 30 minutes to fix. The SRAM 10 speed shifts clean and quick. Front and rear brain adjust to most trail conditions making a smooth ride. I worried about the carbon frame breaking but it has taken some shot that would have bent my old metal bike. I bought this bike with the hopes of not having to upgrade in few year and after 2 years it looks like I'll ride it a few more.

Specialized Service: I have had a slight oil leak in the rear brain. Specialized after an (attempted rebuild) that this was not a issue and should not hurt the prefomance of the bike. Not to knock my bike shop these guy have been great and I continue to use them.

This was a little to much bike for my level when first bought but has worked well for me the last 2 years. So keep in mind this bike is for the serious rider.The down hills are fast and it takes a while to learn how to set up the the suspension. Get it set right and you can feel the better grip in the turns and better bite on the climbs. This would be an easy 5 point review if not for the service and warranty issues. You should not have to ride around with a big dirty oil stain on a 5000 dollar bike.

cda biker   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2012]
Strength:

this bike is a solid race bike... very fast & nimble for a 29er (2012). overall the bike comes spec. well even the x7 front der. works great. previous rides on other 29ers were disappointing but the epic is dialed.

$5800 price...ouch, front fork rattles enough that my friends think something is loose on my bike every time we ride. would like the option to choose grip shift or trigger shifters.

great bike for cross country racing. the stumpjumper would be my first choice for a one quiver do it all bike. the epic delivers a great racing package and that is what I'm doing on it.
if your are looking for a wickedly fast bike that handles great it would do you well to test one out chili. 3 flamin chilis on value due to price $5800. I guess that makes me the fool for buying buying one.

Similar Products Used: older epics
MultiRider   Racer [Aug 23, 2011]
Strength:

I have the 29er version. Handles extremely well - both nimble and stable. Both Brains work well so I no longer have to worry about flipping levers or whatever. Inspires confidence, I definitely go faster both uphill and downhill compared to my old Ibis Mojo. Love the bike!

Not a fan of 2x10. I race the Expert class, so I'm not an untrained cyclist, but I sometimes need the granny and 36t in the back with the 29er hoops. And I sometimes need the big ring and 11t for top speed.
The stock wheels are pathetic at this price point. The rear hub disintegrated - cassette carrier cracked, ball bearings pouring out, trashed. The LBS couldn't supply a loaner because of the idiotic "142+" spacing. Only later did I realize they could have loaned me a 142 and re-tuned the rear der. Specialized replaced the wheel, but it took 2 weeks.

Awesome bike with a couple component issues. A very solid "4" chilli's.

Daveflan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2011]
Strength:

2012 Epic 29'r Carbon EVO model, white and black looks cool. Some upgrades this year the 2010 does not have.

Good thing it has two brains, I lost mine.

Love the bike. 2012 Epic not found on Specialized website for some reason? Not sure if I should have thought more about and IBIS or Santa Cruz for this kind of money?

Similar Products Used: 2011 Epic, Stump, Camber demo bikes. Older Santa Cruz and Turner.
Fly Rod   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2011]
Strength:

Very stiff and efficient. Brain fr/rear. 2x10. Light wheel set and tires. Exceptional handling and climbing. FAST! 29" tires rock!

Still waiting to discover one. Perhaps weight at 27 lb 10 oz with XT SPD's?

This is the fastest climbing fs bike I have ever riden. The cf frame is very stiff I have yet to feel any bb flex. Hammering climbs on this bike is a pleasure. Catch the big ring and stand up. In two cranks you are flying. Fastest transition to speed I have ever experienced climbing. The bike inspires confidence in fast single track. I am finding I am constantly bettering my fastest loop times. Quite simply the fastest bike I have ever owned or riden.

Similar Products Used: Kona HeiHei deluxe
K-OS   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing bike, lightweight, great looks, best bike I have ever owned, feels like the thing just rides itself, handles anything the rider can and it fly's uphill.

IMHO ... NONE !

My price above is tax in, with some upgrades added at time of purchase.

Similar Products Used: Nothing, my previous bike was a KONA Hoss Deluxe.
seattle43   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2011]
Strength:

Responsive and great looking - yet the fit was best for my riding style.

Lots of consideration to dial in your fork response rate with Reba Brain in front and back.

Bike is capable of handling more than the rider is able to provide. Looks are second to none and fortunately, the shop is very responsive if I ever need support.

Similar Products Used: None...went with what I thought was best option
aus81   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

Exceptional handling, climbing, light weight, brain shock is awsome

Had some issues with the stock rims, keep on breaking spoke nipples, also got the front lut of true way too easily

I really enjoy this bike,mine is the 2010 model. definitely run the types tubeless! the stock sworks tyres are really good for most congitions. I had the shock replaced after about one month as the brain stopped working, no issues from specialized there, done quickly with no questions asked. a very well handling bike and quite custmizable with the tock stem etc... I think it's really good value for the high level of performance. 4 stars for the front wheel nipple issue