Scott Spark 20 XC Full Suspension

• S M L XL sizes

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 14, 2013]
    Jammin969

Strength:

Very light and nimble. SLX/XT level components. Rapidfire shifters. 3-way lockout is effective and one-finger operation. Scott marks every fitting on the bike with torque ratings so everything can be set perfectly.

Issues are common with the rear suspension; when the bike shop I got mine from first got the bike they tested it out and found it needed to be fixed out of the box. It only took a couple days for them to get the part from Scott and get it fixed and it has worked great since then.

I was just calling a local bike shop inquiring into their pricing, and wasn't even really looking to buy anything at the time, but they offered me such a good deal that I had to go for it. I actually had to call them back after I applied for a $500 Capitol One card online so I could swing it, but I got the bike very cheap so it was worth it. The bike is extremely solid. I have done a few steep descents and dropped a couple little 3-4' ledges and small stairs with no problems. It loves to climb. Crank is nice and stiff with wide bottom bracket, press-fit bearings, and XT Hollowtech II crankset. The lockout is easy to operate on the fly. Overall weight is very low and frame stiffness is high, which makes the bike easy to control. And the brakes as they come are great; rain or shine, steep descent or suicidal squirrels, these beauties can handle them all. All-in-all it's a blast to ride and I couldn't be much happier with it. Some people complain the wheels are too heavy but I am a little over 200 so I like 'em to be nice and solid, and these have held up to some serious roots and rocks so far.

GT Zaskar Sport 29er, Specialized Rockhopper, Scott Spark 60

[Jan 23, 2011]
    martin

Strength:

fast, light, comfortable

rear shock is funerable

I have the bike in use for over two months now, and the rear shock dts swiss nude lock out is broken allready. A couple of deep holes were enough. A friend of mine has experienced the same. For a product that's meantime over two years on the market - with enough time to have it re-egineered on the bases of userfeedback - that's no achievement Scott can be proud of.
    But when everything functione scott spark 20 is a great bike to ride

[Nov 23, 2010]
    abrough

Strength:

Light weight, Fast, Geometry, Suspension Switch.

Haven't found any yet.

I can't comment on the reliability as I have only been out a few times with this bike but in terms of speed and comfort it is sensational but I thought best to give cold hard facts. Same trail ridden three times, each two weeks apart. 1. time 1hr05min (Av HR 113, Max HR 156, old bike pretty fit). 2. time 1hr08min (Av HR 135, Max HR 176, old bike after a week sick) 3. time 48min (Av HR 146, Max HR 170, new bike not ridden since previous ride and been sick for two weeks). The old bike is a Specialized Rock Hopper with only front susp. Difference is unbelievable up hill and downhill. Tired of being sick, just want to be fit and get on this bike more.

[Mar 08, 2010]
    P'An-Tau

Strength:

Same frame is used between the 20 and 10, looks sexy, decent components and 180mm front rotor (for those who like to brake late)

Love this bike too much to complain about it

I had a choice between this bike and an Anthem (Spark was more expensive). After umming and arring for a few days, I went with the spark and haven't looked back since. I've converted six people over to Scott due to this bike and love every minute I spend on it.

I'm a light rider and am known for my 'lets ride it first then have look at the danger' attitude and the Spark has handled everything I've thrown at it.

The biggest cry was when I got my first scratch on the Carbon frame from an airline whilst in transit....

Scott's warranty service is excellent as well - the frame cracked in the second month I had it (after doing the Otway Oddeysey) and I had a new frame within 3 weeks.

Recommend to - people who want to race but are not quite elite yet as the compontry can be upgraded to add a better ride experience.

Hardtails - second MTB and first full sus

[Aug 30, 2009]
    aquilesmas

Strength:

Bullitproof components. Very stiff frame yet the suspention technology makes the bike melt under you like butter. Can't get a better race bike off the shelf for the money you will pay. Buy this product if you want to take your riding or racing to the next level.

Pricey

I loved my Santa Cruz. I started racing a year ago and noticed that the technology that I needed to invest in the bike was so much that I could possibly afford a whole new bike. I found a bike that had been raced for a couple of weeks and the guy quickly upgraded to the limited. He wanted to recoup the money in this bike and sold it at his cost. I was a little nervous at first and felt it was hard to justify the buy. After taking the bike to its element and really hammering it, the difference was quickly apparent. I can ride in the highest of gears with minimal effort on or off the trail. I am even going to ride this bike in a road triathlon on next month. The lockout feature makes this bike stiff and efficient. I have had the bike up to 29 mph downhill and it is super steady and as poised as it is on the trail. I feel this bike is one that I will not outgrow as I did the santa cruz. I can also easily get the bike to be lighter just by upgrading the wheels. But it really does not need it. I have tons of stories of how this bike has made me a better more confident rider but don't want to bore you.

Trek 4300, santa cruz superlight, stumpjumper

[Feb 23, 2009]
    bigbyoog

Strength:

solid build, poplock

Heavy wheels

After about a year I swapped the heavy DT xr1 rims for Specialized Rovals, tubeless conversion and Revelation U-turn fork. The fork is adjustable 100-130mm w/lockout and weighs 3.5lbs. This is more travel than the stocked Fox fork, weighs about the same, is more versatile and makes the bike suitable for bigger drops. The bike is at 24lbs flat from 26lbs before the wheel swap. I've had the bike for 2 years and everything has held up great. As someone previous mentioned, the wheels are what really separate this bike from the $5,500 Spark 10. I've seen Rovals on ebay for $600 new. You can scoop a Spark 20 at year end blowout for $2,700-$3,700. Add $600 for wheel upgrade and you've basically got a Spark 10 give or take a few minor specs.

[Jan 11, 2009]
    Gezzza

Strength:

Light and fast, the geometry is spot on you feel in total control, the trac lock is stunning I'm in 80mm 90% of the time wind her open for the tricky downs or when you need some extra traction on the ups

IMHO its the best FS xc bike avaible unless you go up the spark range

2007 Scott spark 20, GF sugar

[Jun 22, 2008]
    kiwijames

Strength:

Light weight, race geometry, lock-out rear, carbon everything, freaky fast, head angle adapts with rear shock Tracloc lever changes. Not everyone has them.

Not everyone has one. Clear coat already chipping after a few pebble thrashings. The 34.9 seatpost makes your choices limited unless you opt for a 31.6-34.9 shim, which according to Scott voids the warranty, but they have a shim in the Ransom Limited to accommodate a Joplin ..go figure. Do as I say don't do as I do. Proprietary rear shock.

Out of the gates..this one is made for racing XC, marathon/12hr or the Xterra circuit. Can handle much of the AM duties I put it through too. Component mix is great off the shelf, I just couldn't stand the XT brakes, no fault of Scott.
    It can be a little twitchy at first until you get used to a different level of feedback from inputs....it's way faster on single track. Tracloc, I was suspect of at first, but it works flawlessly, the handlebar lever is easy to operate but in and area it could take a whack if you biff. I wouldn't suggest lock-out unless riding on pavement or a smooth steady climb as there's no release adjustment if you exceed any stress points. 80mm(middle) handles most of the XC stuff and the 110mm (full open) drops the BB and slackens the head angle for more AM aspects. Spark has a tendency to push a bit more than my previous bikes on the loose stuff. You'll get plenty of questions from fellow riders and everyone wants to give it a flick with the finger to see what's carbon. Thoroughly stoked so far.

Years of my GF Sug 1 disc with all XT, Marin Quad Mt Vision Pro, IBIS Mojo, SC Blur XC

[May 07, 2008]
    Eric

Strength:

Super light. Loves to climb. Solid components. The rear suspension lockout is simple and works well. Set it in the middle on climbs and wide open on descents. Maybe use the full lockout on your way to the trail?

With the rear suspension control on the handlebar, there is a lot of cable hanging off the bars. It has a tendency to slap around when the terrain gets rough.

The water bottle mounts double as cable guides. Trying to put a cage on is more complicated than it needs to be.

If you like a XC geometry, I haven't seen anything better/lighter for the price.

Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. Heck, it puts a smile on my face every time I walk by it when I am not riding it.

Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon

[Jun 14, 2007]
    Richard Prout

Strength:

super light weight, looks, geometry for racing, lockout shock via lever on bar

DT Swiss Rear shock lockout mech (dont ever try and do maintenance on it without getting the workshop manual. Its a nightmare!). My shock leaked and had to be returned. Fox Float RP23 works well as a standin, but despite being a better shock, I will swap back because the bar lockout is such a good feature of the DT Swiss. Scott should have got Fox to build them a bar lockout.

Fantastic bike. On the first weekend I got it, I won a 45km race nearly 8mins clear of the next competitor averaging near road bike speed. On the second weekend I stuck in a challenging 6 hour epic into the mountains. Fast dirt trails, lots of long fast down sections, plenty of medium size rocks, riverbeds, etc. Gave the bike a real hammering. Worked perfectly. Smooth, fast, taught. Not for major hucks / downhills. But lockout shock on bar a major plus because you can race up hills like the hard tail boys, then click-click, and you fly past them on the downs.

Oodles