Scott Spark 10 XC Full Suspension

• Frame: Scott Spark / IMP technology / HMF NET, Integrated BB, Carbon swingarm, Carbon dropouts with replaceable hanger, Sealed aircraft bearings, Optimised SLS kinematic, 110mm rear travel
  • Fork: Fox 32 F120RL / Air spring / Rebound adjustable / Lockout Quad tapered lowers / 120 mm travel
  • Weight: 10.40 kg / 22.91 lbs
  • Sizes: S M L XL

Mike   [Nov 21, 2013]
Strength:

Light and agile. Great component spec. Got it cheap

The original shock. Flexy rear end.

Picked this up cheap second hand 3rd owner and had a lot of miles. Last owner not a bike mechanic so a lot of little issues - thus cheap. The nude Shock was the first thing to go - it was horrible. A Morarch RT3 made a huge improvement. Has a 140 Fox Talas fitted instead of the 120 RL but it works nicely.

Carbon drop outs showing signs of wear and I needed to shim the axls to get the IS mount brakes to align in a range where shims could be use dfor fine tuning.

The XTR shifters are feather light and positively exotic.

The rear triangle seems to flex a bit but not to the extent that it detracts from performance. This bike is so agiles and easy to flick around and lift over obstacles

scottrider   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2010]
Strength:

This is a update from a eraler review i did. This bike climes and desends perfectly, it handles liuke a dream..just amazing...

the rear shock....its rubbish..my advice..put it on Ebay and get a fox Rp23, with a low velocity tune..medium rebound...just transforms a already good bike..the shock it comes with is junk...so alow for this if buying one..but dont let it put you off buying one..its worth the effort!!!
secondly a small crack appeared around the main pivot bearing on the frame..scott replace this and it took less than a week so not really a issue,

This bike is amazing, but the shock is junk...if scott supplied it with a fox shock it would be perfect...but they dont so be aware of that...i would buy it again!

Similar Products Used: several trek fuel's
Dee McGonigle   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight

Very dissappointed in the full lockout mode. Bike "yo-yo"s dramtically when riding in full lockout. Scott replaced shock and it still does it. I don't think it will ever work with the Scott shock. I have used other bikes with full lockout and they work great. Big bummer for $7K plus bike.
I busted the link on my shock and Scott did warrant it even though it had been 13 months.

My next bike will be a Kona Hei-Hei for +/- $2K and the lockout will work and I will be a happier rider.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Blur, Kona Hei-Hei
timbuktu   Racer [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

Supremely light. Agile. Stiff. Lockout rear suspension is great for climbing. I bought it strictly to climb, but descending is sooo easy on this frame...and that is my weakness!

Scratches too easily on surface. Bolts holding linkage can "pop" (break) too easily.

I didn't loose a race all season. I'm fairly strong and very competitive. But I must admit, it was the bike that inspired me to literally "fly." I sent a record up a 25 mile hill "mt" climb in my neck of the woods on this bike. In the racing world one always hears that ultimately it's the "engine" that determines how one will do. I beg to defer. In my case this amazing bike just took off and all I could do was hang on. It's pure Bliss to ride. I love it every time I go out on it. That's why I just purchased another frame. The Spark Team Edition. If I was 20 years younger I would beg Scott to sponsor me because riding this frame is heavenly! So there! ;-0
Other than the price, I don't know why anyone (who races competitively) would give this frame anything less than 5 flamin' Red Hot Chilis!

Similar Products Used: Litespeed
jenine   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2009]
Strength:

i love this bike i have the woman's version. its so light and it climes so well...and it goes down hill ok to. The frame is nice and stiff... and best of all its got pink stripes on it.

this bike only has to problems with it firstly the head set is junk, no sealing at all, the bearings have had it already.
secondly, the rear shock that is very good when working has blown again, this is the second one in 3 months, warranty really good but expect more from a bike that cost this much.
also the finish on the frame is a bit poor as it marks very easy.

this bike is really quite good, dont use it for any thing other than xc because u ant meant to jump it,it will brake if u treat it wrong, but that's the riders fault,this is not a bike for big people. but for me it is perfect. nice and light.

Similar Products Used: trek fuel ex 8 (2008), voodoo zoobop(1996) trek fuel ex9 (2006)
Not In Kansas Anymore   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2008]
Strength:

Great until it cracked

Carbon Fiber, Scott will not honor warranty

If you want to spend $7,000 once a year to replace a great performing but fragile carbon frame buy it. Expect Scott to not stand behind their claimed 5 year warranty and leave you twisting in the wind with no bike for over a month. I loved the bike until I discovered a soft spot in the bottom bracket shell, probably from rocks being picked up by the front tire. This part of the frame had always worried me because there didn't appear to be any type of protection or beefing up of the carbon fibre, and rocks always get picked up and dinged off this area of every bike I've ever owned. Poor design, terrible customer service and warranty, they would SELL me another frame but not going to spend another dime with Scott, they fooled me once, not again.

Similar Products Used: Klein, Trek, Specialized
Arnie   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

Light frame, good shock, Tracloc lever, XTR components, Avid Ultimate brakes. 2008 frame is black/red (my favourite colours ... and we all know red does go faster).

Tyres (will upgrade to Conti Mountain Kings), not sure of Ritchey riser handlebars (as I prefer flats) ... but will stick with them.

I have had this since June 2007. Great bike and makes for fun riding. As fast as hardtail. Took a litle while to get used to suspension and not so direct feel of hardtail, but am enjoying it know. Does make rides a lot easier and don't feel so much pain after a long ride. As this was a major upgrade from my previous hardtail I am going to have to say that I love this bike. Did look at Titus X-racer, Trek Top Fuel and Storck Adrenaline, but Spark 10 was still best in terms of looks, components and value.

Similar Products Used: First FS bike, but have looked at Giant Anthem and Specialised Epic. Other bike is Stumpjumper HT (so this is a major upgrade) and I still love Specialised bikes.
Krzysztof   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2007]
Strength:

according to importance: extra light, perfectly climbing, very good work of the rear shock (which I cannot say about the rear derailleur – works heavily)

with my weight of 80-84kg the back of the bike is too soft (not stiff enough), espacially at the sharp bends and with 100mm travel.
If you didn’t ride a carbon frame before you have to get used to the loudness of every crash of a stone or a stick – you’ve got a feeling that the frame will just crack.

When I say that the rear shock works very good don’t think it means also: comfortable – absolutely not!!! This bike, even with the full travel is very little comfortable – I think that the good comparison is driving a golf V and Porsche 911. If you want a comfortable bike – don’t buy SPARK.
If you want to ride much faster offroad and you don't care too much about the comfort - this is a bike for you!
Spark is perfectly effective while climbing and very good when you ride down, however remember it is neither allmountain nor downhill bike, so don't loose your concentration here.
DT Swiss rear shock (Scott Nude DT)– maybe I just had a bad luck – it stopped working few days after purchase.
If I was to buy a new bike I would definitely choose Spark again (however the price could be lower...)!

Similar Products Used: before I had Scott racing comp, scott racing team, scott scale 20 and at the same time Giant NRS 2 and Trek 1500 SLR (steel)
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2007]
Strength:

Super tight and super light. Climbs like a monkey on steroids

Extremely fast and agile. Great climber and very respectable downhill capabilities. Would even make my friend John a better rider.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Superlite
Jon Schmidt   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2007]
Strength:

Very stiff and light frame. When I say stiff, I am talking stiff like an aluminum frame, but without the harshness. The workmanship quality is very high and the rear shock is nicely designed and manufactured. The rear shock has a remote lock-out lever on the bars, which I personally do not like, but I think most rides will. The rear shock works well and has a decent range of adjustment. The frame pivots and frame reinforcements around the pivots are well thought-out and are a work of art.

No real weaknesses we found. I do not mean to imply that the bike is perfect, since there is not such thing, but it is by far the best combination of desirable attributes that I have ever seen in a full suspension bike. I am a little concerned about how well the carbon down tube will handle the inevitable dings and chips that come from front tire debris spray that you get when riding in dry and rocky areas. I am not overly concerned about this as I am impressed enough with the way Scott has done other things on this bike that I am confident that they have taken this into account. Especially when you realize that their warranty is very strong for a frame of this type. I assume that they have tested all of this pretty extensively and that they are sure that they are not going to loose a lot of profit on warranty issues.

I got a chance to keep this bike for 3 days. This was one of 4 demo bikes in the USA, and it did have a prototype component or two on it. I rode it 3 times in challenging terrain that allowed me to see how well the bike worked on typical Southern California climbing and technical descending. Since I have been riding a fairly light Ti hardtail for the last 10 years, I wanted something that did not compromise the great attributes of a hardtail that I like so much and find to be non-negotiable: stiffness, efficiency and light weight, but I did want the benefits of full suspension. In my search for a bike I would really like, I have ridden several other full suspension bikes recently, and frankly I was disappointed by them all for one or more reasons. Sometimes really dissapointed (Treks, Specialized), sometimes the bike was really nice but I felt that it was just not quite right for me (Blur, Yeti). The Spark did not disappoint me in any way. It had all of the benefits of a hardtail with the added features of a nicely designed full suspension. My downhill times were faster, and my confidence and control were much better. Climbing was about the same speed, but was more comfortable and controlled. I am impressed with this bike and am looking forward to owning one when the become available. This is obviously an expensive bike, but there are several technology improvements and firsts on this bike that warrant it being priced as it is. Compared to other bikes in this price range, I fell that the Spark is the most bang for the buck that you can get. The light weight and stiffness of this bike are worth the price alone.

Similar Products Used: Various full suspension bikes such as: Blur, Superlight, Epic, Yeti ASR-SL, Treks of different types, etc.