Santa Cruz Superlight XC Full Suspension

Santa Cruz Superlight XC Full Suspension

Designed specifically for the ladies, the Juliana is a wicked fast, full suspension bike sporting custom-butted aluminum tubing, 100mm (4 inches) of rear travel and a tuned suspension that allows it accelerate, climb, corner and descend like no other.

[Apr 23, 2012]
snmnoles

Strength:

BOMBPROOF

Mine lacks a Propedal rear shock

Absolutely the best you can buy for the $$. Minimal maintenance keeps this baby going forever. Been riding it for over 10 years all over the US.

Elsworth Truth

[Apr 21, 2012]
Dianne
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Low Maintenance, Best Bang for the Buck, Climbs like a goat...

Low BB, Paint wears off pretty easy

An all-around great XC bike that can take the punishment of downhill as well. I've had my SL for around a year now and taken it on everything from Utah slickrock to Northern Montana narly singletrack, this thing eats what you throw at it and has the lowest maintenance cost of any bike I've owned. Rode a Gary Fisher and FS Jamis Dakar before this and wouldn't go back. The SL is the most comfortable of any FS I've ridden for long XC hauls, climbs like a goat and descends like a champ on tight singletrack. Super solid frame and you can't beat it for the price.

[Apr 06, 2012]
jaspas

Strength:

Lightweight, responsive, low maintenance suspension setup

brake jack - rear wheel/sus. lock up when braking on steep/loose descents

I love this bike. I've ridden it all over Colorado's front range and it performed beautifully. Climbs like a mountain goat - no real suspension bob. An awesome descender - especially on wide open single track. Overall the build is around 26.5 lbs. I've raced this bike a couple of times for fun, and had a blast. The one drawback is the whole brake jack thing which I knew was a trade off I'd have to make when going with a simpler single pivot rear suspension design. Whaddaya gonna do? This bike provides a lively yet stable ride that inspires confidence and can be ridden on anything from epic fire road climbs to rocky technical descents.

Giant trance

[Feb 19, 2012]
ralbach
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

As an extremely light rider(110LBS) I was able to do absolutely anything with this bike. DS, DH and XC like a champ. My SC superlight has seen 12 foot road gaps, wall rides, table tops and everything in between. Although these things may not be the bikes intended purpose, I was able to do it all with relative confidence. As my second bike this rig has helped me develop my skill as a rider and allowed me to go places on a bike I never dreamed of. Overall this bike will always hold a special place in my heart and I would rather give up my left nut then this wonderful piece of my personal history.

A little pedal scrape once in a while when traversing over large rocks etc.

Buy this bike and support one of the most customer oriented manufacturers in the industry.

Pivot, Transition, Ibis, Kona

[Jan 27, 2012]
Filipe Oliveira

Strength:

Just bought the frame and moved my previous setup to the new one. After more a thousand miles on it I can say a few things about the frame and the riding experience:
1. It was the cheapest FS frame available and the lightest aluminium frame I found (of the more than 15 I put in a personal database, exception made to large retailers self-brands).
2. This is not the first thing you think about when buying a Superlight, but it is a most comfortable ride! I used to get lower back pain after 45-50km and now, even after 90km, there is no discomfort (only the legs....).
3. I ride with a lot of hard-core cross country riders that participate in XC meetings bi-monthly and they do a lot of road to get the legs spinning at high-speed: I never had any problem accompanying them and they let me know that the rear Fox rp23 doesn´t move, except if you go over small bumps or holes in the tarmac.
4. It climbs all types of ground even in gravel or rocky grounds. In some occasions you can feel the chain straining a little bit (single pivot suspension...) but I got used to it ant you can actually used as an advantage after a while. The extra weight of the FS frame never seemed a problem so far...
5. Finally, I had lots of problems riding down trails or steeper descents or even simply not to loose contact with the other riders with my previous, non FS frame. Now, I am nearly always at the front of the pack when going down! Sometimes I have to brake simply because everyone is going too slow (or so it seems), not because I could not go faster.

?

The way it behaves in descents, the comfort and the benefit/price are unbeatable. Fantastic ride in all types of terrain, ideal for long rides.

[Nov 03, 2011]
JORGEDEBASSO

Strength:

VERY NIMBLE! I find my self throwing the bike into tight single track sections and having no problem negotiating the s-turns. Also accelerates nicely on climbs. I've put this bike in a lot of pretty rough patches in the short 3 months I've owned it( TAMARANCHO rock garden, WALL POINT, Mitchell canyon) and have had no problem. The biggest straight drop I've hit was about a 1 1/2 feet and did not bottom out( I weigh 195lbs) on the FOX package front and back 100mm. Don't even waste your time with the lesser package, the extra 400 bux upgrade is worth far more in the long run. It's rare that you buy something in your hobby that truly makes you better at the task. If I buy a new 2000$ guitar, it's not going to make me a better player. This bike made me a better rider within two weeks.

Havent been riding the bike long enough to find it...

Is it wrong that I still go and look at pictures of my bike at the SANTA CRUZ webstie 3 months after buying it? I'm in a torrid love affair with my bike right now...am hitting the Confluence Trail in Auburn next week...
I spent 2 months researching my next bike. In the end, this was the most bike for the $$$. My co-rider just dropped 3k on a Specialized EPIC and it's not 1000$ more bike than I have...
I'll ride this for the next 5-7 years then upgrade to a carbon BLUR...

[Oct 29, 2011]
santacruzer

Strength:

Do anything XC trail bike. Low maintenance. Built like a tank.

Low bottom bracket.

It took a while but I finally dialed in this bike and couldn't be happier. Initially very disappointed with the lower bottom bracket as I was constantly hitting pedals and bb on everything. Finally went to 2.35 contis. which eliminated the issue. I feel that this bike is a faster and more stable descender than the old Superlite. The larger volume tires also make a huge difference and I will never go back to 1.95 or 2.0 tires again on any bike. This bike now rocks! climbing, hucking drops, trials. This bike simply rocks!!! The anno blue frame looks great and is holding up well.

Old Superlite, Truth, Racer X

[Oct 24, 2011]
FatOldGoat

Strength:

Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity. Mechanical simplicity of a single pivot that gives performance equal to many complex suspension bikes that cost twice (or more!) as much. Minimal wrenching required.

2005 model did not have a replaceable derailleur hanger.

My SL is a 2005 model; they've since done a redesign of the swingarm, and the redesign included a replaceable derailler hanger. That would have been nice to have when a stick got sucked up into my drivetrain and blew up my derailleur, shredding the hanger threads. Santa Cruz said the only fix was to replace the rear swingarm for $400(or so). I elected to go a cheaper route, and retapped the hole, but I lost the ability to use the smallest rear cog. Not a big deal, but mildly annoying.

Otherwise I can not say enough good things about this bike. I am a Clyedsdale (215 LBS.) and I'm rather punishing on most bikes. I have ridden the living hell out of this bike, and it still goes like stink. It is a great rig - very forgiving and not much to go wrong because of the simple single pivot design. The Fox RP3 with propedal WORKS! I ride with guys on $3-4 thousand dollar rigs, and I keep up with them. The only reason I'm not at the front of the pack is because they are in better shape and weigh 30 pounds less than I. This bike will outhandle nearly anything out there in the technical stuff. Grin factor is maximum when I come upon tight, rooted, twisty singletrack or when I come upon a rock garden.

If you are looking for a XC FS bike get a Santa Cruz Superlight. You're welcome.

Specialized FSR XC; Trek Fuel; Ellsworth Truth.

[Oct 09, 2011]
Randy Fried

Strength:

Handling and durability

I will let you know when I find one.

Club sponsor shop ordered the Anthracite grey anodized frame for me in 1999. No one in SD had ever seen one yet. Was racing a Klien team issue ht. Took a few weeks to transition to the fs Superlight. Knocked 7 minutes off my time for the Sagebrush Classic in 2000, won my cat in 2001. Raced it hard, trained it long, wiped out 3 front forks and 2 sets of wheels and one rear shock due to 180lbs and a somewhat aggressive descending style. It tended to draw a crowd of hardtail folks after races. By the 3rd year there were 5 or 6 more of them in the field. The 4th or 5th year I spent $25 bucks to replace the pivot bearing and the frame is once again like new. 11 years down the road the gray ano still looks good, the bike still handles better than any of my other bikes. Factory guys can ride the lightest stuff if they have a box van full of parts and mechanics; age group racers and privateers on a budget would be hard pressed to beat this thing with a big hammer.

Specialized FSR, & StumpJumper, Klien Team Issue hardtail, Fisher ProCalibre & Procalibre 29er

[Oct 01, 2011]
tyrks

Strength:

Bullet proof

Neither the front or rear suspension locks out on the stock 2006 model I got. Not cheap to upgrade, still hardly a weakness for such a strong bike.

Bought it from a chick off of Craigs List for $600. Never really even got a chance to ride it since she took the pedals off when we met up to check the bike out, it was a bit of a inpulse buy but it turned out awesome. The rear shock, a Float R, had something going on when I first took it out for a ride, but after a quick trip to REI their mechanic fixed it for free and its been amazing ever since. The frame size is Medium witch is a lil small since im nearly 6 feet tall but I like it because I can really throw this bike around the tight and technical trails I usually ride. Simple design, plush ride, and great components, for the model. Iv been stunned by this ride! If and when im ready to purchase a new bike its going to most likely be a new Santa Cruz Superlight! Dont hesitate!!

Nothing long enough to compare.