Rocky Mountain Slayer XC Full Suspension

• Fork: FOX Vanilla RL w/ lockout
  • Chain: Shimano HG53-9
  • Spokes: DT Champion

T-dog   Downhiller [Jul 07, 2012]
Strength:

this is for the 2012 model : at this price ( $3,000) nothing comes close to being this much fun. This bike is VERY "physical" - it begs for rough terrain and you feel like a jockey on a hot blooded thoroughbred. Solid build and the component trim is ace , esp. the Formula brakes, and the Race Face cranks. Be warned though- this bike can feel a half size too small with it's seat-tube and head tube angles- i'm 5' 8 1/2 " with a 30" inseam, bought a size 18 and i had to put a Thomson laid-back seatpost on it to get it to feel right.

the RP23 shock had to be sent back within 2 hours of riding , Fox had it rebuilt and back to me in 3 days.
it is a bit heavy, but it's so well tuned that it climbs better than bikes 5 pounds lighter.

my other full suss bike is a Kona Mano Mano that i've had since '99 and i like how "Canadian designed" bikes feel - when it came time to update my kit i wanted another Canadian bike and Kona's lineup in the all-mtn category was/is over-priced and hasn't had good reviews. i studied up on the Slayer and bought one online- i'll keep it for another decade. I have a '11 Cannondale Flash Carbon 4 for my XC bike and now that i have a Slayer i've lost interest in riding anything else. plus, i love Halo Reach and team slayer is my favorite, which is won at 50 points- yes, this bike and i were meant for each other.

Similar Products Used: Kona Mano Mano
lukejav   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2009]
Strength:

Solid Frame, climbs well, fox vanilla is a great fork. It's lockout is solid, but it offers great plush suspension.

I have the 2005, so it creaks a little while riding. But after 4 years I guess the bearings are finally ready to be serviced (which may actually be a strength). Wish it a rear shock that locked out.

Overall, its a strong bike that has helped me become a better rider. This is my first true mountain bike and it definitely advanced my skills. Now in 2009, I'm surprised to see that Rocky Mountain is still using the same geometry on the element. It seems a little out-dated. But overall a worth the money and dependable. I would purchase another RM bike in the future.

Similar Products Used: none
nicolas pilon   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2008]
Strength:

Easy to ride. The rear suspension(fox) is so wow!!! Great Hayes disc brakes...

None for the moment, i change the pedals on purchase day for shimano DX instead of the ones coming with the bike.

Great buy, i'm in love with it. As fun to ride as my old Rocky Mountain Equipe or my Specialized Stump Jumper comp that i owned almost 20 years ago.

Vick   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Build quality: lots of attention to detail, excellent welding. On RM's website they list this bike uner "All Mountain" eventhough it should really be listed as a XC bike. Love the HFX-9 brakes, and compontentry for the price. Can't beat it. Local company (I traverse between Seattle and Vancouver bi-weekly) and parts availability is no problem.

Marzocchi EXR Pro Coil makes a bit of noice, but that's just the way the shock is. A bit heavy (weighed in at 31.5lbs) but rides like dream. Other then that, none really.

For the price, this is the best bike in its class. The fact that everyone and their mom rides Specialized (although w/ good reasons in some cases), this bike stands out as a tough competitor. These bikes are tested on Northwest trails and designed for NW riding, so if you live in the area, this bike is going to be a dream. Did I mention the 2006 Slayer got the "bike of the year"? Highly reccomended.

Similar Products Used: Enduro 130 Comp, Stumpy FSR Comp, Trek Fuel 55
mikes bikes sucks mikes bikes sucks   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2006]
Strength:

mikes bikes sucks butt

Similar Products Used: mikes bikes sucks butt
Brett Jacobson   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2006]
Strength:

I have the 2006 Model!
Way better value than...say..the Slayer 70! Great brakes, quality frame, tough as a badger!

Those 9.0 triggers would look/be cool, I took the seat off and now it's my dog's new toy. Hey it's my ass!

More than I hoped for, better than expected in every catagory...Comming off a quality 4x4" I expected a bobbing piece of dog poo with a seat and bars on it, and what I got was a 6x6" with incredible climbing/descending/cornering skills along with a more toughness than my Tracer. When you sit on it and look at it you can't help to notice how bullet-proof this thing really is.
I'm sold on XC epic rides and epic riding deep in the mountains. I have no desire to race (pay to ride? travel? That's what the 2006 YZ450F is for!) so the 3-5lbs difference just makes me meaner and leaner, and happier,faster, and a little tougher too. All of which brings serious credentials when shopping for a Female at Grumpy's.....might be worth buying it in-itself. Ride one for yourself

Similar Products Used: 2002 Intense Tracer, 05' Stumpjumper Expert
Eddie T   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

THE BIKE IS UNDER 30LBS GREAT COMPONETS BUILD QUALITY LOTS OF GREAT STUFF. I OWN A OXYGEN RACE 2000 AND LOVE IT IS WELL.RMB TO THE END.

NONE YET.

GREAT BIKE I, SAVED 400 BUCKS AT GREGG'S IT RETAILED FOR 2000. THE SUSPENSION IS SWEET SHIFTS GREAT.FOR THE TERRAIN IN SEATTLE THIS BIKE IS IDEAL.

Similar Products Used: ENDURO 130 COMP,TREK FUEL 55
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2005]
Strength:

do-it-all trail bike. Great spec & quality built bike. Fit is perfect...I'm 6'2" on a 19"

Stock tires were an odd spec.

I love this bike. No knock on my old Kona, because It was just too small for me, but this bike is awesome. I feel like a better rider now...climbing, cruising, descending, is all easier now & much more fun. The Slayer is perfect for trail riding. It's not going to win any XC or DH events, but can't be beat for having fun & riding trails. I shopped around for a while & the value on this bike is excellent. $1700 can't get you too much with most brands, but the Rocky comes well equipped. I'll report back when I spend some more time on the bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona Bear, Kona Stinky
D Santilli   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2005]
Strength:

The suspension travel is great. Of course I am coming from hardtail so this is a VERY nice upgrade. The mix of components is nice for the money and the frame looks great and rides great. I expected a little more bob in the backend but it is solid, even on the road so no complaints there. The disc brakes work great in all conditions. It climbs very well for an "all-mountain' bike as everything seems to be so specialized these days.

A little of the heavy side. Not to sure about the seat...

At the end of a ride I am loving this bike. It climbs well enough for it's weight and suspension travel, I think the Fox RP3 shock on the back helps a little there. Once you hit the downhill it just eats everything up. Amazing going from a hardtail to the Slayer 50, I can do so much more now. Buy this bike if you are looking at others in the price range. It has a great paint job, good components unless you are a total weight/tech weenie and will bail you out of situations you would have never tried on your old bike. I am satisfied that I bought this bike over the Stumpjumper which is a good bike in it's own right. Go ride one if you can you will love it!